Does Your Hyperacusis Vary Day-to-Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Beehre, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Hey Team H,

My personal analysis of the situation is that on some days my ears are over-sensitive, my perception of tinnitus and external sound is louder and the pain is more prevalent. On other days the tinnitus is still audible but not overwhelming, external sounds feel normal and I have little if any pain. I have been unable to point to any particular reason why some days are better than others. I figured driving my car to and from work was the problem. To so some extent it may be, yet I have had a bad weekend two weeks ago where my ears were acting up and oversensitive, yet I was just staying in a quiet bedroom at home playing video games with sound at a low level.

On the better days I am able to concentrate and don't notice my T unless I stop to listen for it. On the bad days I am unable to concentrate and feel like putting my head through a wall. Can't give you an accurate pattern other than to say it's like having 2-3 bad days followed by 2-3 good days on repeat.

Does anyone with hyperaccusis experience something similar?

2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I wouldn't say I have h but I do have some sensitivity and yes I experience the same exact thing. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out. Although I will be closely monitoring my diet just to see if sugar or salt or something may be the culprit for me.
      Are you doing any trt or anything such as pink or white noise?

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Some days My hearing is quite clear, and the T is s soft, fine whine, then other days the HF sounds are so extreme I can't focus on anything else, and the T becomes like an eternal glasscutter. TRT and similar has achieved less than nothing. I can find no rhyme or reason either, diet, alcohol, drugs (legal), rest, stress.....nothing. Do any Australians here know if we have at least one actual Otologist in the country who knows about more than just external canals?

4. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      My T varies, my H is pretty constant. My H seems to calm down though after a few minutes in a high noise environment, it is high pitched noises when the background noise is low that causes problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does sudden HF noise over-activate an already hyper-primed/threshold-reduced stapedius muscle? If there is a bed of other sound under it does the muscle not respond with the same intensity? The more I read, the more I'm convinced that hyperacusis is actually a different complaint to tinnitus, that just happens to accompany it often, for mechanical rather than chemical/electrical reasons. I know that discussing stapedotomy/tensorotomy seems to be a taboo on these forums, but don't these procedures have potential to spare a lot of suffering, if proper assessments for suitability can be devised? Am I under some sort of fundamental misapprehension here?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Wondering the same. I think you are right on.

7. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      You mean surgery?

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Mine does vary from day to day.

9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah surgery. Its been done. There isn't much literature on the subject, but some published articles I've seen are pretty positive. Other, more anecdotal reports I've seen are kind of mixed, so I'm not suggesting we all rush out and grab the nearest laser cutter/scalpel whatever...but it could be that something like this though in its infancy, and with proper criteria for determining eligibility needing to be developed, could offer some promise for at least some of us. Another paper I saw claimed success in reducing hyperacusis through round and oval window reinforcement (without proof of dehiscence). They believed that the procedure insulated the cochlear from extremes of sound, but I'm really not sure of that one and I haven't seen more than the one paper on the subject, Nevertheless they did it on two people and claimed successful remission of hyperacusis for both. I guess for most of us, just finding an ENT who knows what hyperacusis even is is hard enough let alone finding the needle in the haystack that's even heard of the existence of surgical options, let alone knows how to determine who is a candidate. There are potential side effects though, that can probably never be reversed as these muscles didn't develop there for nothing, hence why I emphasize criteria for eligibility would be needed. Also, I'm not talking about tinnitus here, just hyperacusis.

10. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    11. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I have very bad h for the past 3 months and just getting worse to the point thats my shoulder pop would spike my t from the H ...i feel like i have super hearing from it as i hear everything in the house from my room

12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lapidus, were I in America, I'd be there tomorrow.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    14. jovionabedofrose
      Stressed

jovionabedofrose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      trauma
      Both my T and H vary from day to day. It really puzzles me as to what affects it so much? I have tried so many different things to help with no results.

15. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know Lapidus, I just looked through my files and I actually have the Paper on Silverstein's two cases. There needs to be a lot more work before I'd take it too seriously, but I don't doubt for a second he's onto something important. I would travel if need be. I think within standard medicine and research, too much stock has been put into complex observations of process and effect (nerves, electrolytes etc) as somehow being causes. but relatively simple potential mechanical causes haven't received the same attention. When I read talk of how small and difficult it is to work within the middle ear, and I think of some years back, medicine bragging to all and sundry about doing open heart surgery on a foetus in-utero, and I just think thanks a lot medicine (though not as politely as that).

16. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, indeed. I guess that's why he is doing a larger study now.

If you look at the thread about the procedure on the H network here: http://www.chat-hyperacusis.net/post/hyperacusis-surgery-7084386
      You'll see that the user Olms had a primitive form of this surgery done years ago with some paper material instead of skin tissue, so the basic idea isnt new. And he claims it worked but only temporarily because the paper isnt permanent like skin tissue is.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I remember that now. There was another poster, Carol, who talked about it but didn't follow up. I wonder if maybe she was the woman referenced in the Paper? I do wonder why we don't hear more about this from other quarters? I guess its very early days.

18. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah that is correct. Carol is one of the two patients mentioned in his paper. Yes it's early days and Dr. Silverstein is doing this alone. However, according to him this procedure is very basic. It's an outpatient surgery and should be easy for any ENT to perform. After all, ENTs are surgeons not just regular doctors. So I guess other people could have this procedure done by any ENT really if they provide the information to their ENT, maybe even let their ENT contact Dr. Silverstein if there are any questions. Just a thought.

19. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Mine varies day to day i have good and bad days.
      Also i have days near cure.
      When iam taking corticosteroids my H is none existent also T is minimal to 0.
      But corticosteroids have serious side effects

• Like Like x 1
    20. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You might have some etd check it out !

21. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I have bad sound intolerance my ET (all mine is left side only) crackles and pops like mad, as though whatever is happening is effecting middle ear ventilation.

22. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      I'm going to change my response to possibly. It varies, just not as much as my T.

23. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I wouldn't dare, since one possible cause of H is a general anaesthetic that's me not daring to go under again.
      I have surgery in January and now having shocking H.

24. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you have any hearing issues before the surgery?

I'm wondering what drugs you may have had while under.

25. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I had tinnitus, no H that I know of, but I was very well habituated and living normally could cope with supermarkets, small cafes, even MacDonalds. I have had no noise exposure this year either, so the reasons seem to be medical to my mind.

26. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Friends uncle, after liver surgery (if I remember) and general anesthetic, got rid of t, after 20 years. Doctors said that it could be related just to anesthetic...

So confusing everything, and so different from person to person :/

27. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      H varies from day to day-sometimes it varies from hr. to hr.
      It worst than the T!

28. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Its so maddening. All the variables!