Drug-Induced vs. Noise-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by MaccyDee, Nov 21, 2013.

1. MaccyDee
      Anime

MaccyDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was wondering this yesterday, but are noise induced tinnitus and drug induced tinnitus the same thing. I mean, I know how you acquire the tinnitus are totally different routes, but is the damage they both do the same? What damages do the drugs do to the ear? Is the damage any different from noise induced tinnitus?
      I'm just wondering 'cause I didn't know if certain treatments were different depending on how you acquired the ringing. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing. Thanks for any answers provided.

• Like Like x 1
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      unfortunately Tinnitus isn't really understood until now, so it's hard to tell. But basically it is believed that ototoxic drugs damage the hair cells in the inner ear and that's also what supposedly happens with noise induced Tinnitus - so the damage might be the same and also treatments might help for both kinds of Tinnitus. But as I said, Tinnitus really isn't understood that well.. there are mostly only theories...

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MaccyDee
      Anime

MaccyDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yeah, it's a shame that not many really understand what "T" really is. It's such an unknown problem that that's almost what makes it more terrifying, I think. I do know we're a lot closer to understanding it than we were 15 years ago, so that' definitely an improvement.
      Thanks for that answer, though. I've seen treatment theories about there being ways to reduce tinnitus for those that gained it through noise, so I wasn't sure if the same would apply for drug induced, as well. Though, that does leave out those that didn't gain it from either things. I'm hoping they find suitable treatments for those departments, as well.

• Like Like x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      All evidence (which is very little and indirect) points to noise induced tinnitus being the worst kind (ie. the one that is the hardest to reverse). On an audiogram the effect of noise induced hearing loss can sometimes be seen by what is known as the "cookie bite" around 4-6 khz. Ototoxic medication along with presbycusis will usually result in what is known as the "ski slope" on an audiogram. New imaging techniques are being applied to study of the inner ear. One day, when imaging techniques are advanced enough, I am quite sure that the impact of say - ototoxic vs. noice induced hearing damage - can be distinguished.

I have knowledge of 6 different cases of people having undergone stem cell therapy for tinnitus (5 of them successful) - guess which one didn't succeed...

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      which evidence leads you to think that noise induced T might be the hardest to treat?
      Ich hätte ja eigentlich gedacht, dass es einfacher ist Tinnitus zu behandeln, für den es eine klare Ursache gibt, als welchen der z.B. vom einen auf den anderen Tag auftritt! Aber man lernt nie aus :)

6. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I do think with noise induced tinnitus your more likely to get more damage from noise compared to tinnitus from any other cause.
      All it took was me slamming shut a bonnet and I got temporary threshold shift for the second time, my tinnitus is now a lot louder a can't believe it!

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      English bitte. Ich bin nicht Deutsch. Danke.

Well, first you would have to find those who have actually been treated. And when speaking of permanent tinnitus due to inner ear damage, this is considered incurable today (because it is). But, I have some background knowledge from my stem cell "journey" that points to noise induced tinnitus being worse than tinnitus caused by trauma, neurological conditions, as well as auto immune disorders.

8. Jotee

Jotee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amlodipine induced.
      Hello. I had tinnitus within six hours of taking a Amlodipine 5mg tablet, I was persuaded to persevere with the medication, because it was thought the ringing in my ears would go away. It didn't ! I ditched the Amlodipine after six weeks - but the tinnitus still prevails,one and a half months later ! The noise is driving me almost mad ! Please has anyone had this type of response , and what was the outcome?
      Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. furpy

furpy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Teens
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I've had noise induced T since the fire cracker days of my youth.....in 2011, I had panic attacks ....was put on Ativan....then SSRI's....the T went through the roof !....5 years later, after one month of those two drugs, my T s still giving me grief, albeit , it is now less severe except when I have stress....or my allergies act up and affect the ear canal....was hoping for some input on the best way to open the ear canal back up.....sometimes I "pop" my ears wth the plug nose and mouth bow out method....what I'm saying is it seems like there is pressure behind my ears or something like that for say....one or two days...the ringing is loud...then the next morning, it is back down to a nicer quieter level.