Ear Pain, Pressure & Fullness

Discussion in 'Support' started by MJC, May 31, 2015.

1. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Hi All

I unfortunately damaged my ears thru a work event at a Club 8 weeks ago. As a result I now have tinnitus- the high pitched sound goes up and down during the day and I can handle that part Upto a point. It's the pain, pressure and fullness that is distressing me and making me panic.

The pain alternates between the left and right ears - like needle pricks. The fullness and pressure is constant and is worse during the evening and morning. As a result I have this pressure at the back of my skull and neck below ear area - it's difficult to function on a day to day basis.

My GP gave me beconase nose spray and said wait to see the ENT hospital doctor. It has not helped.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this really normal from loud music damage?
      I'm so scared it won't go away soon.
      I feel like I'm going crazy.

I am waiting for an appt with the ENT NHS UK Doctor .

I hope to God that my ears will heal quickly. I've had so much bad luck with my health

Thanks
      Mary-Jane

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      @Asian Are your ears feeling any better??

I have been suffering with ear pain and pressure.

Would be good to know your progress.

Thanks
      MJ

3. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Yes indeed, that full ear feeling is awful. It feels like the hearing is getting worse.
      There no rhyme or reason...
      Good luck.
      And I dont mind writing, bless us all.

4. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Its been 14 months since my T started. The pain & fullness feeling resolved totally in a couple of months. Imbalance feeling in the ears went away completely as well. Tinnitus has subsided maybe 60-70% but it can flare up anytime for no reason and I do have many setbacks every now and then. If I wake up with low noise, I have low noise in my ears throughout the day no matter what I do. Food doesn't affect my T.

Recently I took antibiotics and paracetamol for 3 days and my T flared up badly. My H is pretty bad too but better than before. I take fish oil, B12, D3, turmeric pills and they maybe be helping with the inflammation if any. The only thing I really feel worked in my case is TIME !

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      @Asian thanks for replying - really appreciate it:) hopefully the pressure, full feeling and pain will go away soon for me!

6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I have pain right now as I write this, its been in both ears most of the day, and my ears feel squishy and ichy it's a horrible feeling I hate it. I understand what you mean about how it feels like I'm loosing my hearing when My ears feel full. I don't think we will ever figure whats going on with this. I just wish I could take something for the ear pain. That's the worst part.

Doe's anyone else have these problem's ?

7. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      http://deafness.about.com/od/Sound-...rd-in-Understanding-Hyperacusis-with-Pain.htm

8. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      @lapidus Bold statements from this article:

Current treatments for loudness hyperacusis (such as tinnitus retraining therapy, which works to change the brain’s reaction to the sound) are not effective for hyperacusis with pain.

9. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, I know. I don't think @Dr. Nagler would agree with that, nor Dan and Rob at the H network. But still, Charles Liberman is the leading expert in the world on hyperacusis. Personally, I have no clue. I gave up TRT after learning that what I was recieving wasnt "real TRT".

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      @lapidus I think hyperacusis with pain probably falls into category 4 TRT patients, which is acknowledged as being hard to treat.

In other words, seems like there is the potential for certain drugs to act as painkillers of the auditory system.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Tomorrow I have my ENT appt after 2 months of pain and ear pressure. I'm scared they will not be able to help. I'm reading all kinds of stories on this forum where doctors say they cannot find nothing and the ear looks healthy...I just want the pain and pressure to go away.

My life has been affected - as each day goes by and the pain and ear pressure does not subside or go away my fear gets bigger... I hope one day my ears will heal....

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. How did it go?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      @Street Spirit terrible - went to see UK NHS doctor ENT department.

He looked at my ears and said he couldn't see anything. Did a hearing test and pressure test - hearing test was fine.
      Pressure test - lady's said there could be a little fluid.

Anyway doctor said nothing wrong with you just skeletal and muscular problem. Learn some relaxation techniques, don't go into noisy places in future and don't clean your ears with a cottonwood bud. I was discharged.
      He would not discuss the pain and pressure issue.

Now I am freaking out as I don't know what to do.

14. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      Have you thought of doing bacterial analysis of your ear mucus/wax whatever its called?

I have in left ear staphylococcus auerues and in right bacillus (spp wchich means sample was contaminated and they couldnt figure out what specific type it is). I emailed my ent to ask him if this is reason my ear sometimes itches/hurts/feel like there is something in canal (maybe minor inflammation?).

15. Ross

Ross Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1998
      Wow...I could have written the above. It's good to know its not just me. Doc says my ears look fine, yet the T and hypersensitivity to high pitch noise...like a small dog barking...rages on. The hypersensitivity is not painful and is worse in the evening. When it gets worse I get a headache in my lower neck ear area. Feels like a tension headache. I'm thinking about going to neurologist just to rule out anything medically serious. I'm running out of ideas. I know I have hearing loss, so I thought about trying hearing aids, but don't want to drop 4k if they won't help.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      @Ross do you suffer from the blocked ears feeling and pressure?

17. Emmi
      Not amused

Emmi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @MJC

could you find anything against this pressure/fullness & ear pain feeling? I have that too and I think it is kind of common in T due to noise exposure.. but I can't really understand what exactly is happening?! Is it some kind of inflammation due to the damage maybe?

18. Irish

Irish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music from nightclub
      @Emmi, I have something similar.
      At this stage I'm pretty sure it's a condition called 'Patulous Eustachian Tube'.
      How to cure it though, well that's not so clear.
      The only thing I find that temporarily eases the severity of it, is a good night's sleep.
      Spending some time in a steam room does also seem to help a little bit too.
      Am hoping it will gradually fade in time, along with my Hyperacusis.
      Also, I just came across this video and it looks like it's worth a try, seems to be an exercise you have to perform regularly every day, for many weeks, maybe months in order for results to appear.
      I'm going to start with it today and see how it goes:
      Patulous Eustacian Tube Possible Fix