Has anybody found anything that actually helped lower the tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vickilynn, Oct 22, 2013.

1. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      I'm not sure what forum to ask this in but I was wondering if anyone has found anything that actually helped lower the T. I can't take the Lipoflavinoid since it raises my BP and I guess I won't be buying the tinnitus miracle book so not sure what to try. Maybe check with the health food store?

2. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I have tried it all except the "snake oil" over the counter stuff. One thing that comes to mind is Ginkgo. It has been thought for sometime to help T. but there is no concrete evidence to support that.

The problem with tinnitus is that it is so personal. I have taken Ginkgo, and just about every supplement that has been mentioned on this forum with no results.

Also Benzo drugs like Xanex, Klonopin, etc. with no reduction in T. These drugs only help lower your awareness of T thus a perceived lowering of the volume. The benzo drugs even have a side effect of tinnitus. So my advice is just not to start on an addictive drug. I had to learn the hard way.

I now take Vit. D and B only because blood work shows I need it. I also take REMERON an antidepressant which has shown the most value in helping me sleep. I actually sleep too much on this med.

I to have high BP so I must watch for any thing like Lipoflavinoid that might raise it.

I wish there was just one across the board medication or supplement that would help us all but I know of nothing. I do not think it hurts to try different things though. I have a shelf full of supplements, and prescription meds which did not pan out. Each person is different, so I hesitate to say that anything won't work unless I have tried it on myself.

3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Niacin and magnesium seems to have reduced mine. Tried dozens of supplements.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      got to get niacin !! lol

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      *reduced at least for the time being, don't know what happens next lol

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with Sherry about the magnesium. It really does seem to reduce the sound of the tinnitus. However, it is subtle, and you do have to take it for awhile before you notice a difference.

Relic Hunter is right --- there is, so far, no one supplement that works for everyone. You have to experiment with various supplements to see what works best for you.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      You're probably right though thanks for the tip on the niacin and magnesium. Do they raise your BP at all?

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know about the niacin; I've never taken it. But the magnesium doesn't raise blood pressure, or at least, it hasn't for me. In fact, it may improve blood pressure!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Thx. It's really hard to know what to try. I'm rather impatient and if something doesn't at least give some sign of working not too long after I start taking it, I tend to give up. But I know some things need to be taken for awhile for them to work if they're going to.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's true; if you decide to try a supplement, I'd give it at least a few weeks to see what (if anything) it does for you.

Have you found any supplements that lower blood pressure? For me, fish oil seems to work, and I think vitamin C does, too. I also take a supplement called moringa oliefera that I believe has helped some with blood pressure. It was prescription blood pressure medicine that caused my tinnitus to get bad. I got myself off the prescription medicine and now take only natural supplements and exercise. It has been working pretty well, so far!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      My husband has taken a supplement for BP before because he tends to have high BP. Not sure if he's still taking the same thing or not. I want to say it's Niacin, I know it starts with an "N." I take fish oil but it hadn't done anything for the T. I have some B-1 and Chelated Manganese the health food store recommended but I stopped because it didn't seem to help. It's for nervous system support. I still have some.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      I woke up last night and the ringing sounded really loud. I don't get why it's all of a sudden gotten louder. I did go back to sleep though. Plus do you of you also sometimes feel like you have a fullness in your ears? This is getting scary and frustrating to me. I'd like it to go back to it's "normal" level. I can handle that. I need to find something somewhere that might give some relief for this. If yours got louder, what did you do when it did?

13. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi. I found it lessened when I gave up caffeine. So I now drink decaff tea and coffee, and I certainly notice it gets much louder the minute I drink anything with caffeine in it. Mine is a loud hissing and whistling type and is very loud right now due to having just had a "normal" tea.

I was taking lots of different vitamins and minerals and my tinnitus did get better but am really not sure if that was because I had started to get used to it or if the vitamins were actually working. I then got out of the habit of taking them and mine has got worse since but I've been told it is due to stress (had alot of stress over the last couple of months in work and home life and was not sleeping at all well which is another contributing factor for me).

If yours is due to a fullness in your ears you might try getting some decongestant that contains pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (this is a highly effective means of getting rid of fluid in the eustacian tubes) - you may have to ask for it over the counter as it is not the type that you buy off the shelf. Sinutab do one with this active ingredient in it but the standard decongestant won't do, and you don't need one with pain relief either. Best wishes.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Thx I'll see about the decongestant at the pharmacy. I really love the International Delight iced coffee mocha flavor. I drink a lot of it I know I should cut down but it's hard.

15. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Magnesium works wonders for me. I've been taking 500mg twice a day for about a month and a half and the results have been great. I've also been taking fish oil and a men's multivitamin, along with fairly consistent exercise. The difference has been like night and day. Give it a try! You wont regret it!

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Thanks Sherri and Jake, for some consensus vote for Magnesium.
      My Tinnitus sounds piercing today, yuck.

I didn't take my high potency multi-vitamin this morning,
      (Which only has a very small addition of Magnesium to it).
      I think there’s something to these supplements.
      Going to drug store today. I’m going to give it a try.

17. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi James, sorry your T is loud today. My third day today on just Niacin, B12 in the morning,magnesium and camomile at bedtime. I thought I would give this combo a try and see what happens ( recommended by Christine k ). Today it's v v low so am of course very happy, however I'll continue with this for one whole week and test it out to be sure. I stopped taking my multi vitamins etc ( for the time being ).

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey folks, I also am interested in supplements. So when you post about what is working for you, can u include dosages? (500 mg daily etc) and forms ( chelated, etc) and instructions re. Taking it (with food, at bedtime) if appropriate?

Thanks! I am very interested in people's experience with supplements. Melatonin (3 mg dailt at bedtime) and magnesium (400 mg chelated In evening) as been very helpful to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jake, what kind of magnesium can you take 1000 mg a day and not suffer from diarrhea? I have found the only kind I can take is magnesium chloride??