How Does Earwax Cause Tinnitus? What Noise Does It Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by tinnitussufferer, Nov 19, 2014.

1. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      how does earwax cause tinnitus? what tinnitus noise does it cause?

2. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @tinnitussufferer

I would think that this question should be directed at @Dr. Nagler as he is a medical doctor who worked in surgery before he changed to being a TRT practioner (I think that is right, apologies to Dr. Nagler if I am wrong about this!).
      Hopefully @Dr. Nagler can help with this question please. It is one I have asked myself often. Would appreciate your input on this question Dr. Nagler please. Thanks

3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The only way I know of that earwax can cause tinnitus is if it is copious enough to result in a significant conductive hearing loss. In the vast majority of people with tinnitus who are also found to have earwax, there is no causal relationship. It is merely coincidence.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      yes but how does conductive hearing loss explain why you would get tinnitus? By tinnitus i mean the typical high pitched tone.

Do you know if earwax removal itself can cause tinnitus?

I would like to know the precise relationship between tinnitus and hearing loss. Is there any at all? It is often assumed that hearing loss due to for example a loud concert, causes tinnitus.

5. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Here in UK Drs are told to ear syringe less ,we have a Goverment thing called NICE National Institute for Health and Care Excellence .they watch out for patient care .Think that's good myself .Dont know if in other countries they do this . I've had mine syringed only once for neck op ,well after my T began ,
      So I say with these ear syringe guide lines ,they must think it can cause patients a problem .

6. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Suffer

The only way removing ear wax is going to cause or make your tinnitus worse, is if you have it done the wrong way. Get it removed by a qualified ENT manualy under a scope, Its takes a little longer and some ENT's try to steer you away from it because its faster other ways, but don't let them. And NEVER NEVER let anyone, use suction, or any other aggressive method to remove ear wax. Been there did that. The payment is to high. Manual is the safest way.

Louie

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      I keep reading that earwax is a cause of tinnitus but find it hard to understand how it can cause this.

I thought tinnitus was an internal problem. Theres no physical cause so why is earwax related to this?

8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      "Excessive ear wax, especially if the wax touches the ear drum, causing pressure and changing how the ear drum vibrates, can result in tinnitus."

However, I would think that the tinnitus subsides after the excessive ear wax has been removed. No?

9. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Before i got T i woke up one week with ringing in my ear. It went away. But it came back and still going strong. I went to the doc and she notice i had earwax. Could not see my eardrum at all. She took ik out but the T is still here.
      So dont know if the earwax whas the cause of mine T or the sound of my vaccuum cleaner. Because when i whas done vacuumcleaning i could hear the ringin. My T goes up and down. Some days i dont notice it all en some days can hear it al day long.

10. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I guess something touching on the eardrum like a hair or ear wax would have flattering noise as opposed to tonal noise that most of us have. Eardum tinnitus isn't tonal in my opinion . I maybe wrong

11. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      So you are saying that my T can come from the earwax that i had? I have no hearinglos.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      is this true? earwax tinnitus causes fluttering noise not tonal?

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      That's my guess. Tonal noise would indicate cochlear or nerve problem or hearing loss problem. Something irritating the eardrum wouldn't have tonal noise I think