How People Got Better — For Newbies and Veterans

Discussion in 'Support' started by StayPositive, Mar 6, 2014.

1. StayPositive
      Jaded

StayPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      First off, my apologies if any of this content has previously been posted. If it has, then hopefully some new users can read it that otherwise wouldn't have.

Browsing the web I came across this post: http://blog.szynalski.com/2010/12/24/tinnitus-tips/
      which is valuable enough in itself for its positive message, but I was particularly interested in the link that the author mentioned in the following section.

I'm reposting the content here, which I found to be helpful and positive.
      I love the message of this post, because in 2014 it seems nothing has changed. Wherever you go on the internet you constantly find the words "permanent" "there is no cure" etc, but don't really see the success stories. My personal thanks go out to ScalyLizard for sharing this on the web.

Just something I thought I'd share. Here's to a better tomorrow.

-SP

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thank you so much for sharing this! Yesterday, I was crying like a baby, overwhelmed, wondering if I would ever "hear silence" again. This morning I woke up in a positive place, and I found this board. There is hope.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Good article for people with mild Tinnitus. Do you have any for people with uncommon loud Tinnitus?
      This is where the true challenge start. Kind of T which is painfully loud not just loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Thanks! I love this post! -- After 7 months, my T from a concert is the same, however, I have heard 1 to 2 year recovery stories like this before.

I'm going to wait until I am a year into "Mr T" to re-evaluate. -- In the meantime, I will go on with my life and lead a healthier lifestyle.. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @John Meyers how loud would you rate your T? I have also hopes as my T is noise induced and I am 4 months in. But I think it might be negative for the habituation process to keep that hope?
      what do you think? are you habituated?

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you for the post detailed @StayPositive.....lots of love glynis

7. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Zora

HOPE is never negative! Please keep hope alive, even WHILE habituating and continuing to live all the important areas of your life. Just allow hope a room of its own, inside the house of your existence, with the door open. :joyful:

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @Path Maker . I didnt mean hope itself but the hope for my Timnitus to go away.
      I am 4 months in with mild T and still havent accepted it

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T loudness is at about a 6 out of 10 and only in my right ear (which I was cupping at a loud concert like a fool).

I don't think that my T noise level has ever really gone up or down. -- Just more or less noticeable depending on if I am exercising and eating healthier.

I've habilitated to the point that I can take a nap or sleep at night with no masking since it doesn't freak me out like it used to.

If I have my dehumidifier on as I am working and then go upstairs, I don't really hear it for a while. -- Or if I am driving around with the radio on, I don't notice it at all.

Reading the success stories once a week really help too. -- Even Dr Nagler on this site mentioned that most folks like us with noise induced T will barely notice it after a year maybe 2 at the most.

It is best to go on with your life like you don't have T and refrain from researching and trying supplements (trust me, they don't work). Of course, plug your ears up in loud environments like a night club or event with live entertainment.

Good luck Zora! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I went back and forth with accepting it every other month since month 3. -- What also brings me back is volunteering to help the less fortunate and seeing people who lose limbs, become paralyzed, etc and they are usually able to bounce back.

T is a bear and can be really annoying but stay busy and remember all the good in your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I'm five months in and I'm not accepting it either! Still, my aim is to continue to live my best life, and also keep doing anything I can to "assist" this tinnitus out the door ... :)

12. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you work at a desk, try a dehumidifier. -- It cleans the air and when you walk away from it, your T volumne will not bother you as much.

There are also some great phone apps for masking such as the Phonak "cicadas" masking app. That one is my favorite, especially for sleeping.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. NineNails

NineNails Member

What if your T is unmaskable?

14. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      11.png

15. NineNails

NineNails Member

16. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Just makes mine worse..

17. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      This is a great post. I think reading this kind of stuff instead of what I read when I has my tinnitus would have helped me to get rid of it. Sometimes I really think this noise is stuck in my head just because I was obsessed with it when it appeared, and because I was convinced it would last forever..

18. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Julien, I wonder the same thing myself.