Is It ETD or TMJ?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Venator117, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Venator117

Venator117 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/28
      So I've had T for two months now, and when it started there was a sucking sound in my right ear and then it started ringing. My Doctor told me it was ETD because ears would crackle when I swallow. I visited an ENT who said it wasn't because he couldn't detect any pressure. After that visit my left ear started ringing and then it started making a cracking sound when I try to pop it. I also do running for cross country which makes T noticeable in my left ear every hard step I take. Also after running I opened my jaw all the way and the right side hurt a lot for about a minute and then went away. My neck was also stiff. I've heard this can either be poor circulation or TMJ. I've also had an MRI and they couldn't detect anything. I also have some dizziness but it's not bad and doesn't really react to anything unless I turn my head to the right or left very far. Also my ringing increased for sitting in a car for too long but then went down after about a week. I seem to get a little bit dizzy when looking at moving objects against a background. When I took a day off from cross country my ringing felt better

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Your tinnitus could be due to BP increase when you run until your BP settles down after running and any inflammation in your ear .
      TMJ is inflammation of the jaw joint and soft tissue .
      Try notice when you run if you keep your jaw clenched while running and breath through your nose or mouth breath.
      I use to be a runner and ran for the school years ago and nose breathed and clenched my teeth while running so if you love running you could have a mouth guard made to relieve pressure while running....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Venator117

Venator117 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/28
      Do you think my T would go away if my inflammation or BP went down or went away?

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You should hear a noticeable difference if that is the cause...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Venator117

Venator117 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/28
      Well I got something interesting for you. I noticed that my left jaw actually makes a clicking sound when I move it to the side. Is this a sign of TMJ?

6. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      I have a tight painful neck also and I grind my teeth when I sleep. A few days I got a mouth guard and it has made a big difference in my T. The pitch has changed;not so high pitched and the volume has gone down. If you have TMJ you probably need a mouth guard for sleeping.

7. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi venator 117,
      It sounds like you have TMJ best see your dentist and recomend a mouth guard at night and when running .
      My jaw cracks and crunches from dental work in my teens and had a mouth guard since and Im 50 now...lots ot love glynis

8. I don´t want to be a besserwisser or anything here:nailbiting:, but EVERYBODY got a TMJ (Tempomandibular joint). More likely a TMJD (dysfunction or disorder). Could confuse your dentist. These problems could be tricky to solve since it could be muscle related as well as joint related. A good mouth guard is an important first step as mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    9. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      I also have a clicking noise when I just open mouth normally. And of interest, my tinnitus started after I saw my dentist (I did not see a dentist for 5 years). At first I thought the tinnitus could have been caused by acoustic trauma through the drill noise. But I have been thinking more about how unnaturally I had to stretch jaw for almost an hour because the dentist had to access the very back of mouth.

I don't know how the hell I'll go through, but you can be sure I am going to look into this. I'll do all I can. I believe there is a cause other than acoustic trauma in my case. I had two hearing tests and both doctors said 'your hearing is good', although a slight dip in right ear on very high frequencies. Yet, I have also read that we don't hear exactly the same with both ears. Also tests were different when I repeated them. To me it looks like there's no hearing loss, but I will see the doctor in 2 weeks again and ask him more precise questions. The biggest obstacle are the doctors themselves. I do not trust them, they don't care, and I will have to learn all I can about tinnitus.

10. Adrienne

Adrienne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Hi Guys,
      I just recently got diagnosed with TMJ and ETD. Still trying to figure out details though. Currently using nasal steroid to try and open up tubes. Some days are better than others. Since my three days of using nasal spray i do still feel my balance is off. It is the worst feeling. Jaw locks when I yawn and clicks in combination with ear crackles at time. Beyond frustrated and just want to feel normal. I feel your pain. :(I also am a teeth grinder, anxious , stressed, you name it. Doctor recommended eating only soft foods for 4 weeks . nightmare!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. John G

John G Member

I started to get jaw problems after I had my wisdom teeth pulled years ago. Probably doctor yanked my jaw too wide open. So first the jaw problems started then the tinnitus started. Etd problems also.

I also had a bad fall on my head on the right side of my face near the jaw/cheekbone area and blacked out when I was a kid. Not sure if that was the cause of my Tmj,tinnitus etc..

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also had a wisdom tooth pulled out 2 weeks ago. Strangely enough, it's been a couple weeks that the hyperacusis has improved. When I was a kid I smashed all my front teeth. I don't even remember the pain, I think I blacked out.

I always had jaw problems, for example prognathism. I have read that all these things will make one more likely to get tinnitus.

13. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're right, sorry.