Lion's Mane Mushroom

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Danny Boy, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Could potentially help treat tinnitus.

Neuroregenerative potential of lion's mane mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. (higher Basidiomycetes), in the treatment of peripheral nerve injury (review)
      Lion's Mane Mushroom:
      http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Lions-Mane-Mushroom/dp/B0017O94AK/

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've taken lion's mane on and off for a while; doesn't do anything to my T; does seem to improve my visual acuity, though.

3. Vinnitus
      Tired

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There has been a previous thread about this by @Danny Boy here: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lions-mane-mushroom-and-vinpocetine.10208/ but unfortunately it didn't yield many replies regarding Lion's Mane.

I have read about Lion's Mane's potential for generating NGF (Nerve Growth Factor) and it being a potential aid with peripheral neuropathy. Considering that Cochlear Synaptopathy is in fact a form of peripheral neuropathy, I wonder if this might somehow be beneficial. Is there anyone who tried Lion's Mane mushroom for it's neuroprotective and perhaps neuroregenerative potential? If so, in what quantities did you use it and how did it work out for you?

• Like Like x 5
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    4. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Vinnitus, nice post. I believe if the tinnitus is neuropathy related than Lions Mane or other foods and herbs with similar qualities couldnt hurt. Im still saving money for adipose Stem cell as it alleviates nueropathy as well. I have nueropathy all over, its like I got poisoned.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. 3.14159

3.14159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980-something
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been using lions mane for about 9 months. My daily dose is 1 teaspoon; I mix 1 teaspoon of dehydrated lions main powder (certified organic) along with 100mg of dried psilocybin cubensis mushrooms with my daily green juice. I've done this for 9 months and have noticed a difference in my tinnitus being reduced and my general mood being improved.

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Wow you take psilocybin mushrooms everyday?

• Like Like x 2
    7. 3.14159

3.14159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980-something
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take a psilocybin microdose everyday along with Lion's Mane, both of which are known to stimulate neurogenesis. For me (195# male) a full dose of psilocybin cubensis mushroom, dried, is approximately 3 grams (3,000 mg), and such a dose under the right circumstances and setting typically leads to what most refer to as a hero's journey. I take 1/30th of this everyday (100mg), which I refer to as microdosing. Although I've heard of others using a greater microdose of 200 to 300 mg, I've experimented and have found that 100mg doesn't interfere with my normal daytime thought patterns.

I'm a working professional and it's important to me to be 100% at the office. I originally started microdosing because I wanted to see if it had a positive affect on my depression. The psilocybin molecular structure is very similar that of serotonin. There is much research that one can find on the web regarding depression and psilocybin, but very little on psilocybin and tinnitus, which is what led me to this site.

Now that I've been practicing this treatment method and seeing positive results on my depression, and surprisingly my tinnitus, I'd like to expand on my knowledge of the matter and continue with my personal research.

I'd invite others to share what they have experienced and learned as well.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Where do you buy it?

9. 3.14159

3.14159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980-something
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd recommend reading about these methods more... Perhaps listen to some YouTube discussions about it as well. Paul Stamets is an expert in the field. After your research, you'll realize the challenge you're up against, and then you'll have to make some decisions on how you'd like to proceed with your own healing method.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. BrownieBoy
      Devilish

BrownieBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert followed by another loud concert, Dollywood D:
      @JohnAdams I've been doing research into this as well. Check out this JRE episode with Paul Stamets, around 1:05:35 :
      Joe Rogan Experience #1035 - Paul Stamets

I'm interested in giving this a go myself but it's illegal so probs not:dunno:

• Like Like x 2
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'd rather not trip all day.

12. BrownieBoy
      Devilish

BrownieBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert followed by another loud concert, Dollywood D:
      Yeah... that's not the point :ROFL:

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Anyone else has noticed improvements using Lion's Mane Mushroom?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Echoing what I said here in 2015; I ate a lot of it for a long time; it had zero impact on my tinnitus. It maybe had some slight impact on my visual issues, but I don't really care because even though my visual snow/static is constant and pretty dramatic, I think about it like three times a month and it's not a quality of life issue.

Lion's mane, if you're growing it yourself or otherwise getting very fresh, pure mushrooms, may be have mild health advantages, but I'd be shocked if it did anything for tinnitus. It's not a particularly active set of compounds as far as I can tell.

15. Joan W.
      Disappointed

Joan W. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Significant tortuosity left int carotid artery at skull base
      I have been using lion's mane mushroom capsules (500mg twice a day) for several months and have received no benefit or reduction in my tinnitus. My memory seems to be getting sharper, but it has done nothing for my tinnitus. The search for help continues...

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. Little Lamb

Little Lamb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey all, I’ve been using Lion’s Mane and psilocybin along with a niacin flush to open up blood vessels to the inner ear for 10 days now. My noise induced tinnitus and hyperacusis has significantly improved.

Just two weeks ago I had to wear earplugs everywhere - in the car (sound of AC was painful), to the grocery store, while watching Netflix (the sound of the PlayStation brought tears to my eyes) etc. My nerves were so irritated. My hearing was also going in and out in my right ear. I feared sudden sensorineural hearing loss. One night this scared me so much that my heart rate went up to 200 bpm. I almost went to hospital but managed to calm myself.

The past three days I've not had to wear earplugs anywhere and my hearing is no longer going in and out.

On top of all this I spend my days imagining the nerves in my ears regenerating and healing. It took a lot of practice to imagine this instead of what I used to imagine - burned out nerves, red with inflammation...

I've also been trying to raise money to go to the clinic in Korea for PRP and MSC therapy and now I'm thinking it might not be necessary...
      I have an appointment with my ENT soon. I'm really hoping to see some hearing improvement. Too optimistic...!?

I really encourage you all to try this - especially if you suspect nerve damage. I believe it's important to use the niacin to bring these medicines to the inner ear. I also truly believe in imagining a picture of wellness.

Good luck to you all! Will post updates!

Oh and by the way, I'm not tripping all day. I'm only using microdoses of psilocybin.

• Informative x 6
      • Like x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Good Question x 1
      • Useful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    17. Little Lamb

Little Lamb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My dosing protocol is this:

Lion's mane by Host Defense: 3 grams, 10 minutes before ingesting Niacin.

Dried Psilocybin mushrooms (Cubensis): 300 mg, taken at same time as Lion's Mane.

Niacin: 500 mg, ten minutes after ingesting mushrooms.

Note: adjust dosages as needed. Especially for Psilocybin and Niacin. A microdose of shrooms should cause no perceptual changes. Periodically take a break from these as tolerance quickly builds. Take enough niacin to induce a flush response. Eventually you will need to increase the dose to get a flush response. I don't know what the maximum safe dose is but I personally won't take more than a gram / day. Once I stop getting a flush response @ 1 gram, I will take a break until my tolerance goes back down.

Other supplements I take: Magnesium, Vitamin D, B complex, CBD, nigella sativa, chlorophyllin.

Other supplements that increase BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) (related to NGF, nerve growth factor): organic citrus peel extract, organic xiao yao san ('san' means powder) / xiao yao wan ('wan' means pill), organic whole coffee fruit extract, organic turmeric/curcumin with black pepper/piperine, MEDITATION AND YOGA.

• Informative x 6
      • Like x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Good Question x 1
      • Genius x 1
      • Useful x 1
    18. Curtis
      Energetic

Curtis Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Do you use hearing aids? That was the number one thing I did this year that helped the most. It was amazing really. I have had noise induced Tinnitus for 5 years that went along with mild/moderate hearing loss of higher frequencies. The hearing aids target those missing high frequencies and I love being able to hear those again and as a HUGE Bonus my T has gone down significantly. It's as if my brain can relax cause it's not chasing those high frequency sounds anymore. You might try to use niacin with your lions mane (see following post). I believe strongly also in plant medicine so that's where I would recommend looking and experimenting. Don't wait for big pharma to deliver on anything useful. Have a quiet and peaceful new year!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Scruff

Scruff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fascinating Little Lamb! This all lines up with the research I have done over the past few weeks, and I am just now starting a similar regimen. Can you provide an update? I would be very grateful.

20. Danni ella

Danni ella Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I see a difference for sure when taking 1mg. But it is important to lower the sodium consumption. Also when I was eating gluten, the ringing was worse.

21. Rio80

Rio80 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis + Neurotoxicity
      Why would someone post something like this and then never update? This is her last 2 posts on this forum in fact. It's cruel. Unless she offed herself in which case... understandable.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      In case you ever revisit the forum, I'm curious to know how effective this was for you. Hope you are well!

23. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I sent her an email now, kindly asking for an update. I will let you know if I get a response.

• Like Like x 3
    24. TrevorSanders

TrevorSanders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure/Ototoxic Medication
      She is not required to give us an update. Maybe she just wants to forget about this portion of her life and move on?

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been taking Real Mushrooms Lion's Mane for a few weeks now. Previously I tried Host Defense, Om (both low quality), and Oriveda (expensive). My sleeping has improved and seems to be related to switching to Real Mushrooms. No changes in tinnitus as of yet, but I'll be stacking soon.

26. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've tried Oriveda and Nootropics Depot, so probably the best two, albeit without Niacin or Psilocybin. I've had changes in my tinnitus but not that I can attribute to the Lion's Mane, so your mileage may vary. I have seen people claim it helped their tinnitus, and more often, helped nerve pain/damage. I think it's a good option for people to try as it's low risk and fairly straight forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Going to give Lion's Mane a shot.

Is it meant to be taken at night or is any time fine?

28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think any time is fine. Hope it works for you!

• Like Like x 1
    29. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I don't think it matters. I've been taking it in the morning and, surprisingly, it seems to be helping with my sleep. I still wake up too often, but I seem to be sleeping deeper.

• Like Like x 1
    30. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Hoping it helps you. Report back!