MRI With Severe Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Dec 3, 2014.

1. My Neurologist wants me to have an MRI and I am in a terrible setback.

The date for the MRI is December 15th.

I truly do not know what to do. I am very scared. I would say my ldls are in the 50's or 60's. Conversations are difficult :(

Anyone else here have an MRI with severe H?

2. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I was hooked up with an iv in the mri machine and told them to stop within a few seconds because it was to loud. They said they have never seen that before. Please, dont trust them telling you it is not too loud. Even my ent thought it was almost a joke that I was afraid of the machine. I told him I was not afraid and could a bear the sound if I really had too.....I guess could....but how will I be AFTER the mri. You cant risk getting worse. There are machines that are very quiet out there but you have to find one. Not many places have them. People are more concerned about being closterfobic then how loud it is. Thats why there are lots of open mri's and not quiet ones. And even when you do, use the silicone ear plug you have to form AND use the mri type ear muffs with no metal .

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Yes my Neuro scoffed at my concern. I was hoping he would understand hyperacusis a little better. He said " it's not THAT loud"..I tead they can be 110 db..and if my ldls are in the 60s even, I still risk worsening and thats only if my earplugs work properly.

I've waited a year to see him. He won't go forward without an MRI. I don't know what to do. :/

I feel like ny entire year has been filled with roadblocks. I just want to find ONE caring, understanding doctor who can help all my conditions.

4. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      I don't have Hyperacusis but the Open MRI machines are much quieter. You still need very good earplugs, but why do you need an MRI? For tinnitus its to check for POSSIBLE beign tumor. Very small chance of having that.
      Its gotta be your call on doing it. It depends on how sensitive you are to that sound.
      I suggest you use the plugs beemovie recommended and call an open MRI lab and see if they will let you "hear" what its like from the room, not from the bed. That way you you will have a clue and can make a decision.
      Also find out how long a scan they want. Some machines will take 45 minutes if the doc wants a scan with and without contrast. If its not critical you have one (your call), it may be best not to. Even if they find a benign tumor
      they won't operate unless you have some serious shit going on. You would have facial numbness and headaches most likely if you had one. The only thing they do if not critical and you have tumor is have you take more MRI's down the road to monitor it. You have to be in some deep shit for the operation on your brain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is he looking for? What do you expect?

6. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I believe my tinnitus was caused by loud MRIs. They are def loud. What is he hoping to find? I wouldn't do it unless he suspects something and the MRI will prove it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

He was very vague regarding what he was looking for..Just basically said any abnormalities. ..

I am sorry you got your T that way :(

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I knew he would want an MRI, I just wasn't in this setback at time of the appointment. I thought I could do it, with good protection.

Clearly he can't do anything without one..I am just tired. I've waited a year for this appointment and I don't know how not to do it..if I don't he won't see me and then I won't have a neurologist.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I developed facial neuralgia, H and T and facial numbess all at the sane time, last September. The Neurologist suggested I suffered post concussion syndrome after my accident on motorcycle and atypical chronic migraine..he mentioned something about structural abnormalities? maybe he is looking for MS..not sure...he said my case was quite puzzling and interesting...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I guess I should just schedule another appt with him and go over my concern. ..I don't think I have a choice. Thanks all for the feedback!

11. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If its the T and H your seeing him about I don't know of all abnormality that is associated with H. Ask him specifically what he is looking for. ITS YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW!! His version of "not that loud" is not on par for T and H.

If he's looking for tumor which he is, let him tell you. If he's looking for some other associate condition that causes T and H you should ask him what other symptoms are associated with that.
      If you don't have those symptoms, then you are better educated to have this done or not.

I cant stand doctors with attitudes about this stuff. My ENT told me the human ear doesn't hear frequencies below 100hz, you just feel them… I am an audio engineer for 30 years and I used to hear down to 30hz with my killer speakers (pun intended) and test tools. BUT hearing aids they SELL don't operate below 250hz…

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I dont doubt that you should have a mri. Your going to need to find one that is not loud. http://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/magnetic-resonance-imaging/mr-quiet?stc=wwhim800768

• Like Like x 1
    13. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So sorry for your situation. Ask him if he finds something like that what is the procedure for resolving structural abnormalities or whatever he's looking for. If there is no proceedure to cure it, other than satisfying his curiosity, don't do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I am not sure how things work in canada. But when a doctor writes a script in the US for some sort of testing, it is unfortunately up to the patient to figure out where to go to have it done. Like I said, you need to find a quiet machine. They cost more to buy or rent so most places wont have them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      You on fB?

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Most MRI's with people that have T come back unremarkable. But you have other symptoms other then just T.

18. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      • Like Like x 1
    19. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      MRI is more that 120db i want for long time to get another one but it is very loud so i avoid it.
      Be careful i can tell you that people with good hearing get damage from mri.
      The only real treatment for me to heal hyperacusis is to be for long in absolute silence.
      Sounds make it worse. In 1 year of no sound hyperacusis can be cured.
      That depends from degree of problem.
      So don't believe the doctors mri can give acoustic trauma to healthy ears.
      Ears with H must avoid it.
      If you do it take good hearing protection before plus take the previous days
      a lot of N acetylcysteine creatine monohydrate vitamings magnesium etc.
      Take all supplements for hearing protection from noise

20. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      No sound for a year? From all I've heard, you need to be EXPOSED to sound to make H better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      WRONG !!!
      If you have hyperacusis and expose yourself to sound that will make the H worse and curing will be more more difficult.
      I have cured from H in the past with total silence. Don't make the wrong idiot ENTs say.
      No white no pink noise nothing absolute silence.
      When you feel better with you hearing you can start expose yourself gradually and with care to more loud sounds.
      Feel your brain your brain says you i don't want loud sounds.
      Hyperacusis wants long time to cured but can cured. The key is silence for some time to
      give your hearing system ability to recover.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I am glad you have cured yourself. However living in total silence for a year is not an option for most people. Did you wear earplugs thw entire time? and even those do not block out all sounds. Your post is confusing. How did you work? shop? etc..

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Lynn, what I do before I go in for an MRI is take a pain killer or two. Tell Neuro to give you a script for a few strong ones and you should be fine with that & the earplugs. I know thing are done much differently in the GWN that here.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Hi Gary, thanks for the advice :) do you have H as well?

25. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      No, I don't have have H per se, loud noises are now starting to bother me more & more. When I get an MRI no matter what I stuff my ears with my T goes up sometimes, sometime it does not, thus the pain killers for MRI's.

A dear friend of mine and a few others here have told me about how hard & long you have to wait for medical procedures in GWN. Get it while you can, make your neuro happy, and you will be glad once it's over, I have had routine tests that have saved my life. Get it out of the way and then they can look else where.

Oh yeah, my one friend, who is not on here, is from Richer just outside of Winnipeg, he sends all that cold weather this way....

ps. Your “It is your resistance to ‘what is’ that causes your suffering" is spot on!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. Denis

Denis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T since 1994 (Severe T&H since 2005)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Lynn,

I have both severe and chronic H (with cranial and facial pain) and got an MRI back in 2011. I had the same concerns as you re: noise levels. At the time, the Toshiba Vantage (see generalfuzz's posts above) and the Siemens Magnetom Avanto) were the only two that had noise reduction technology built in. There may be more models available now.

In my area (Ottawa), I was fortunate to find a center within 5 km that had the Avanto and were able to schedule me an appntmnt even though the hospital was not directly associated with my referring doctor.

From the specs the Toshiba had a better acoustic profile, however the Avanto had the advantage of having enough space to allow ear muffs such as the T3 (all plastic) inside the head tube.

So I wore the earplugs, the T3's and a good dose of painkillers and got through the head MRI just fine despite a slight increase in T lasting for a week or so.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I has in silent house the first time and i had industrial hear protection earmuffs
      When i had H i was not able to tolerate my voice or to travel with a silent car i was not able to walk in road
      i has serious H. I got again H after many years when i exposed to very loud music (135db).
      H can make serious sleeping disorder the key to treat it is to avoid noise and get every day without benzos
      good sleep.
      Benzos for some days will improve H but after that the H will be terrific and unmanageable so stay away from this stuff.
      For temporal relief from H if you have and headache together with H get oxygen (50% or more) supply for 3-5 minutes resolves immediately the headache and H.
      This is my invention that iam sharing and perhaps to give solution to many people.
      I have not found anyware this treatment with oxygen for H i have invented it
      when i got oxygen for headache and observed that resolved and H together with headache.
      More oxygen is toxic 3-5 min will solve the problem if it is work for you.

28. Denis

Denis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T since 1994 (Severe T&H since 2005)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Lynn,

Did you ask your neuro whether a CT would provide same quality image for his diagnostic? CT only lasts about 30 second and are much quieter. Downside is that you get ionizing radiation. If I had the choice and I was in a severe H setback would take this one over the MRI.

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

I had one last year. Nothing was seen on it...He said an MRI shows a better picture.

30. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Lynn, had my second MRI today, I was supposed to get two, one of each area of my head, but they could only do one last Sunday, so I got the other today. They are checking for a blockage in my carotid arteries, and 8 arteries in my brain. Anyway all went well, no spikes or anything like that...

• Helpful Helpful x 1