NAC, Melatonin & Other Stuff For Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Louise, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi Louise,

Those summaries primarily examine NAC and hearing loss. I've never read NAC helps with tinnitus, but it might prevent it from getting worse. Melatonin, however, does reduce tinnitus distress and volume, according to several studies listed on pubmed. Here's a link to a recent study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859051

I take 3 mg a night, but I still have difficulty sleeping as melatonin is short acting. I'm thinking of switching over to a time-release melatonin. I'm not sure on the dosage, but 3 mg is the amount you always see in the clinical studies. BTW, I don't believe you should take melatonin with antidepressants and other drugs, like Klonapin.

The one summary from your reference with melatonin and sulpiride appears frequently in tinnitus literature. Sulpiride is an antipsychotic. I'm not sure why anyone would want to take something like this. But since melatonin and sulpiride work on dopamine, it's possible melatonin might be combined with something like l-tyrosine, an amino acid and precursor to dopamine. At least, I'm thinking about combing the two if my current supplements lose their efficacy.

I also take magnesium (200 mg 2x daily); zinc (15 mg 2x); alpha lipoic acid (200 mg; 2x daily); GABBA (100 mg, 3x daily). I used to take l-theanine (a GABBA precursor) (3x a day) and it helped for a while, then it made my head buzz. I guess from too much GABBA. Finally, for ear health I take vitamins A,C,E.

Things that did not work for me include Vitamin B-12; coQ 10; and Gingko. All made my ears buzz. But these might work for you.

All the above mentioned supplements appear in the medical literature. While I believe these supplements have helped, I can't prove it. My improvement might be from the placebo effect. Or it could be the passage of time. I do know that diet will make me spike. As will many noises. So for now, I'm keeping to my diary and my current supplements and hoping for continued improvement.

I hope you find something that helps.

• Like Like x 2
    3. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      louise...at the same link you provided...did you read this...6 abstracts down the page

Sulpiride plus hydroxyzine decrease tinnitus perception.

Source

Otorhinolaryngology Department, Virgen del Rocio University Hospital, Seville, Spain. malopez@cica.es
      Abstract

OBJECTIVES:​

The aim of the study is to confirm the effectiveness of sulpiride and hydroxyzine in tinnitus patients. The administration of sulpiride, a D2 antagonist of dopamine receptors, together with hydroxyzine, a subcortical sedative, covers the areas of tinnitus perception.
      METHODS:​

A prospective, randomized, single blinded, placebo-control study was done in general otorhinolaryngology consultations for 2002-2004 in Seville and Zaragoza (Spain). One hundred and fifty patients consulted for subjective tinnitus. They were included randomly in three groups of 50. A group took sulpiride (50 mg/8 h) alone, other the same dose of sulpiride plus hydroxyzine (25 mg/12 h), and the third placebo (lactose), for 1 month. One hundred and twenty-two patients completed the study. Clinical history, tonal audiometry, tympanometry, and tinnitometry were done in the beginning and end of the study. Subjective Grading of Tinnitus Perception and visual analogical scale (0-10) were done for result evaluation.
      RESULTS:​

Based on the Subjective Grading of Tinnitus Perception, tinnitus perception diminished by 56% in patients treated with sulpiride and by 81% in patients treated with sulpiride plus hydroxyzine. Based on the visual analogical scale, tinnitus perception diminished from 7.8 to 6.3 in the patients treated with sulpiride, and from 7.8 to 5.1 in those treated with sulpiride plus hydroxyzine.
      CONCLUSIONS:​

Sulpiride plus hydroxyzine decreases tinnitus perception. Tinnitus auditolimbic dopaminergic pathway opens wide therapeutical implications.

---

never heard about this before !
      best wishes
      mt

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Mock, yes I did see that. But the doctors I know wont prescribe anything to let me try. 81% is high. Sulpiride sounds like a nasty drug though anyway.

5. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      yeah i read its an antipsychotic drug that acts on dopamine receptors at high dosages (600mg) and have been told by docs that giving an antispychotic to one who is not, is bad news

so you are probably right...not a real good option for most of us

although...there are some days that i wonder...will this damn tinnitus indeed drive me c...r...a..z..y....:0

no it won't...i wont let it

best wishes
      mt

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You're very strong MT.

Think I'd still try it if I could find a doctor willing to prescribe.

There are so many meds that can help according to trial results but their use for T would be completely off label. I think its actually unethical that we aren't allowed to try them. Or rather doctors wont prescribe them and give us a chance.

• Genius Genius x 1
    7. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      I have been taking sulpiride and hydroxyzine for 5 months now. My T has significantly reduced. However, I am having bad side effects such as weight gain, breast enlargment and lactating. Sulpiride is not FDA approved and I get it in Mexico. My T was so severe I am willing to take or do anything to have some sort of life.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Lawrence Glickman
      Caffeine

Lawrence Glickman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Here is my experience 1. Medical exam for obstrutctions 2. Check for infections, bacterial, viral, fungal, parasites. Supplements the stupid FDA just banned picimilon combination of niacin and gaba which has been safe and in the market here and in Europe for many years. ( I still have some and it works) NAC 2000 mgs plus French Marine Extract(Pycnogenol))Daily, 5mg melatonin 30 minutes before bed CurcuminC3 variety. B12 sublingual. Magnesium. I'm three years into this struggle and have had tubes in my ears (now out) and spent thousands of dollars. The program above does help and has had few side effects.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Stephen1144

Stephen1144 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun noise
      Thank you for the helpful info!

Steve

11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since: