Neuroplasticity: Brain & Fun Sites (e.g., PositScience & Lumosity)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by gary, Oct 12, 2013.

1. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I found this while looking for something else. I did not join, but I may. Anyway I think it's fun and somewhat informative.

http://www.positscience.com/brain-resources/cool-brain-facts-myths

After looking around, I clicked on "start now" kept clicking on the big arrow, came to the join page, then just clicked on "maybe later" then I was taking a brain speed test, actually it resembles a game. All in all I liked it....

• Like Like x 2
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 2
    3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I'm actually a member of the site. I joined it about six months ago because my tinnitus was interfering with my concentration. When I first started doing the games, my head would buzz something crazy. After about a month, however, the games no longer affected my tinnitus. And I also felt my concentration abilities had improved. I am now back to normal--unless my tinnitus is loud then I still have trouble. All in all, the site is worth joining. Luminosity should be equally as good since it is also based on the latest neuroscience on using brain plasticity to improve memory and other cognitive functions.

Interestingly, Posit Science claims that its brain training actually improves tinnitus and facilitates habituation. In 2010 or 2011 (no exact date is given in the article), researchers at Washington University Medical School in St. Louis had twenty tinnitus sufferers participate in Posit Science's brain training program. Of that number, thirteen "had substantial relief from their tinnitus." That success is summarized below:

What changed was 1) the frequency with which tinnitus rose to consciousness in ways that disrupted an individual’s effective operations at work or in their personal life and 2) the intrusive, disturbing power of the tinnitus. After training, it was far easier for these patients to willfully ignore their tinnitus when it did arise, putting it in its proper place as meaningless noise, not to be attended to.
      I wish I could boast of the same results. But I am happy to have my concentration powers return. The article does not state how long the patients trained, or the amount they trained per day or week. I used to go to the site daily and train for a half hour. Lately, I've gone several times a week for about a half hour. I might try Luminosity next.

Although a cure for chronic tinnitus does not yet exist, we can do many things to improve our functioning and just get us back to normal! :)

Here's the link to the study cited above:

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Jazz, good post. I am now able to block out the low level T. When the T is at a 10 I do my best to not let in bother me, I know it's easier said than done. When I say, I do my best to not let in bother me, I am talking about not letting me get angry, depressed. That's how the 10 days try to affected me. On bad days I will tell the T to go ahead and have at it, you will not steal my joy....

The noise will still be there, but my reaction to it is different now.

• Like Like x 1
    5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @gary That's real progress!:) Congrats. I'm the same way. I can totally ignore low noise, and I am no longer upset by loud noises--but I wish I could ignore them too! Perhaps, this will be possible in time. Habituating to tinnitus is a bit like a job: you have to keep working at it. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I see we got T around the same time. I think we are both doing pretty good. We are making progress, I am happy about that...

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Surfing the web and reading about tinnitus I found this game called Plasticity

Plasticity and Tinnitus | Plasticity

The guy who created it suffers from tinnitus and says that it has helped him to improve his condition.

I create this thread to know if anyone with enough knowledge about tinnitus believes that it might work.

8. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Thanks for the link epin3m :)
      i haven't tried it yet.

From his FAQ :

9. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      you are welcome. are you going to give it a try?

10. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I gonna give it a try. I think it won't hurt!

11. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      • Like Like x 3
    13. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      This is awesome! I live in St. Louis when I'm not at school and it's so great that stuff like this is taking place so close to home.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      I have signed up for Lumosity (Look it up on your browser to explain neuroplasticity of the brain).
      Using my head phones to get the full effect of the sounds, I have been doing the exercises now for a month.
      I have improved my brain performance index (BPI) by 63%.
      The intriguing thing about it is that I wake up every morning with roaring T.
      With half an hour daily training, the level of T reduces.
      I don't know if it is pure distraction but it is helping.
      You might want to try the two week free trial before deciding to purchase an annual subscription.
      It is reasonably priced and it is scientifically sound and devised by neuroscientists.
      I actually contacted them and they agreed that it could be of benefit.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Jill, very happy for you that it helps. Is this being advertised on TV, seems I have seen this on TV

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

Perhaps I should try too. What type of exercise is this.?

17. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Brain exercises to keep your mind sharp and active and to help you think less about your T.

• Like Like x 1
    18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      It is interesting this topic has come up in regards to tinnitus. I am somewhat familiar with these programs, as what was once called "cognitive retraining" originally was focused on dementia and Alzheimer's patients -- and in my work, I deal with older adults.

The concept has been around for a long time, and tested quite a bit at different research facilities. Most neurologists agree that for patients with early onset dementia, or some reduced processing due to aging (and most of us have this reduction as we get older), cognitive retraining can help. But these products were not developed to stimulate the areas of the brain involved in tinnitus -- although who knows, maybe they will help, especially since concentration issues often are a by-product of tinnitus. Cognitive training targets memory, speech and hand-eye motor functioning. I don't think there are any large clinical, independent studies that look at the effect of cognitive retraining on tinnitus The article @Jill references involves a doctor who, visiting a St. Louis university-based program, mentions he talked to TWO participants who happened to also have T and felt the therapy helped that condition. Interesting, but not much to hang you hat on.

Add to that: The healthcare technology industry really has jumped on the neuroplasticity bandwagon in the past decade, hoping to take advantage of pushing "brain gyms" and brain exercises to the baby boomers, who are scared to death of Alzheimer's. There are a flood of books, programs in private clinics and computer-based software applications.

Posit and Lumosity happen to be the two largest and best known, at least in the US. They market their products very aggressively. Of course they will tell you their programs may work for tinnitus, if you ask. They want to sell you their stuff. A lot of the "science" that they claim backs their products are either general studies on neuroplasticity or studies they did themselves (kind of like Neuromonics).

But: I am not suggesting we not try these programs. In fact, I may try Lumosity myself. If you have the money, go for it. It can't hurt you -- its probably even safer than some supplements. It won't cost you thousands of dollars, like Neuromonics or HBOT. And it just might help.

I just want people to go in with realistic expectations and understand the hype behind it. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing updates from TT people using these programs as far as how their tinnitus responds.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Jill Edmonds
      Artistic

Jill Edmonds Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2003
      Hi Gary,
      I have not seen it advertised on TV here in Australia.
      I heard about it via news articles.

• Informative Informative x 1