Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Ilija, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      So I don't have reactive Tinnitus, what I have is Ear Recruitment.
      I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
      I wanted to ask is Ear Recruitment permanent or can it go away?
      Also does this lessen the chance of my Tinnitus going away? is it possible that the Tinnitus will go but the ear recruitment will stay? (which would suck cause I'm around PC's all day literally).

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Recruitment is a rapid growth in the perceived loudness of external sounds within the pitch range of a hearing loss. Let me give you an example. As my father (of Blessed memory) got older, he had significant hearing loss. I might say, "Dad," but he would hear nothing and, of course, would not respond. So I would say it a little louder. Still nothing. A little louder still. Again nothing. And then ... just the tiniest bit louder. The response: "Stop yelling so loud, Steve, I hear you just fine. Tone it down a bit, will you!" And THAT'S recruitment - a rapid growth of perceived loudness in a pitch region containing hearing impairment as the healthier hair cells on either side of the damaged ones all of a sudden "kick in" when the volume reaches a certain level.

Recruitment has nothing to do with hyperacusis. It is important that whoever is diagnosing you with recruitment knows what he or she is talking about in that regard.

There is no treatment for recruitment save for the use of hearing aids with compression, while in most cases hyperacusis readily treatable with a number of desensitization techniques - so a correct diagnosis is, indeed, crucial.

Recruitment does not lessen the possibility of spontaneous resolution of tinnitus.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Did the 20Hz-20kHz while it isn't as accurate as a real test my headphones can go from 20-20k Hz.
      Anyway I noticed that around 4000 Hz and 6000 Hz especially around 4000 my ears started hurting a bit and the sound was LOUD again this isn't nearly as accurate so I will see and go to the audiologist and get the real tests done the right way.
      Anyway the idea of having a bit of hyperacusis isn't as scary, if my hyperacusis towards dishes clanking and stuff could go so can this right?
      Although I'm not sure how come I can hear these sounds now but I couldn't before Tinnitus.
      Also I have reason to believe that it isn't the loud music that cause the Tinnitus rather one of the guys screaming for a sec in such a high frequency it actually made my ears hurt for a second (probably why the hyperacusis if not the whole tinnitus).
      Anyway without me rambling on I just wanted to say thank you for all the quick responses, I can't even begin to tell you how much it means for someone who is so well versed on the matter replying like this (and without any charge), sincerely thank you for listening to the ramblings of a panicked teenager.

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Recruitment, hyperacusis, and misophonia are distinct entities that can occur alone or in combination with each other. Each has well-defined diagnostic criteria. Unfortunately most audiologists do not have particular expertise in this area. As I see it, your job is to find one who does.

And thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.

Best regards -

Dr. Stephen Nagler