SF0034 — E-Mails to the White House?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Penate, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Ok let me ask you this. Did you or anyone here for that matter give a shit about the t community before you got it? See my point?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      What do you suggest?
      I had thoughts of chaining myself in city cbd and threat to set myself on fire.
      But as others said, as an individual, I would probably be taken and put away, God knows where hehehe....

3. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @valeri I really have no idea what to do. I'm just sick and tired of people not caring about our suffering. You try to do things the nice way. Go to doctors, write to congress etc etc and all ya get is the door shut in your face.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Tinnitus is just not sexy enough!
      Nobody gives a f..k about it!

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. John G

John G Member

A little off topic in regards to the White House. Any ideas on how to bring awareness to this particular forum? There are probably a lot of people with and without tinnitus out there that do not know that this forum exists.

6. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I agree that the drug likely won't be trialled for tinnitus, but I'm at least hoping it makes it to market as an epilepsy drug within a decent timeframe (So hopefully they are able to stick to their intended timeline). If people can get prescriptions for Retigabine, then surely even more people will be able to get their hands on SF for treatment, as this at least has some preclinical research showing it may help with tinnitus, and is expected to have less side effects. Of course this is all if it shows efficacy in trials..

7. Kotve
      Dumb

Kotve Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck / Jaw
      Small question. Don't you need to be a US citizen to write to White House? Why would they care if I wrote from Belgium for example?

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      That's why we need to do it together and not individually!

9. Kotve
      Dumb

Kotve Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck / Jaw
      I understand the fact of doing it as a group. However you and many others are still not US citizens and if he needs to take the letter into account he might not take it because of the people.

But from nothing comes nothing, so giving it a (or many) try costs us nothing. If I had to write an letter I would let an US citizen write it (obviously) and I would then make a list with all the people that are represented in this forum. They should then put the Name, Age, Country and signature to make aware that tinnitus is a handicap that affects millions of people around the world, from different ages and backgrounds. And then you send you letter / e-mail which is going to be long so an e-mail would be more appropriate.
      If that does not help, I would do the same but then I would take only US citizens.

I mean as a group we can try the world health organisation and many other organisations to make them aware that at some point tinnitus can be a real handicap.

I mean just some ideas. The only problem is he reads only 10 daily so it is like winning a lottery. (Tho we can multiply the chance by having many US citizens writing the same letter/e-mail with the same list)

10. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Kotve
      Who's he?

11. Kotve
      Dumb

Kotve Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck / Jaw
      Well President of the USA is a he, no?

12. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Well no, not really. And I'm not arguing about that. I'm just questioning the method of getting attention.

But then again we have to raise attention and make those who have tinnitus "give a shit" a first. We are more 7000 here on this forum and hundreds of millions world wide. There are surly researchers and billionaires that have tinnitus and yet we can't even get them to "give a shit". How do you plan we make others that don't have tinnitus do that!? Without killing them, of course...

• Like Like x 1
    13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Hi Penate... since you are the original owner of this thread, I will provide you and the rest of the tinnitus community the following "deal" in order to help spread awareness of SF0034:
      • @Markku has set up a donation page (which is not specifically aimed at advocacy for SF0034) but more general advocacy awareness. If members of TT are willing to donate to this page, I will write up a high quality campaign message pertaining to SF0034 once the donations reach USD 300,- (the donations will go towards boosted newsfeed posts on Facebook).
      • If donations do not reach the USD 300,- mark within a reasonable timeline - say four weeks - I may choose not to write up a campaign message (at my discretion). The money is not lost, but, will go towards other awareness projects.
      In addition, I ask members and visitors of TinnitusTalk to ensure that the following Facebook post reaches 50 or more ratings in total (i.e. ratings/shares combined):

If those two criteria are met (i.e. donations worth USD 300,- and 50 ratings for the post, above), then I will do my part as a tinnitus advocate - which includes liaising with @Markku to ensure that we deliver a high quality campaign message. Typically, the posts TT shares on its newsfeed enjoy ratings which are some 30 to 100 points greater than what a FB-page with a similar sized fanbase would get (on average). See the TT-newsfeed for an objective assessment on this (i.e. compare with other similar FB-pages such the ATA or BTA).

attheedgeofscience
      14/DEC/2015

UPDATE/Tinnitus Talk/December 20, 2015: Both targets have been reached. Thank you all!

• Like Like x 15
    14. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @Silvio Sabo I have no idea bro. Most of my angry rants on here are fueled by frustration. I don't mean to come off like a dick. I'm just angry that there are no answers. I think a very good way to raise awareness is that some filmmaker somewhere needs to make a movie about T. Not a documentary but a fictional story about someone who is going about life just fine. Then they go to a loud event or whatever and develop T. Show how their world gets turned upside down when no Doctor can help, family doesnt understand etc. Put the movie in theaters too.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
    15. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Well the overwhelming majority of people with tinnitus do not, in fact, give a shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I think its more that tinnitus sufferers on here have 'lost all hope' rather than 'not giving a shit'. It's hard for people to repeatedly have their hopes raised only to have them dashed over and over again. Some people can handle that. Some, like myself, cannot. (Though I will rate/share that post up above though I cannot donate as I am flat out broke).

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I did. A friend of mine developed tinnitus several years ago and I spent quite a bit of time researching to see if there was anything that could be done to help him. I have always been sympathetic to people with tinnitus, because I always thought it would be one of the worst things that can happen, to be robbed of silence and have that silence replaced by constant noise. Not just noise, but never-ending physical sensations that accompany the noise. My freakin' head hardly ever feels clear.

I don't think any politicians care, though. I really don't. They're too busy playing games.

The overwhelming majority of people with tinnitus do not have severe intrusive tinnitus. They sure would give a sh*t in a hurry if they had to live with what many of us on this forum have to live with every day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cool. Made my donation and tried convincing some friends to do it too...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      I just LIKED on FB... Meanwhile I search for trials on clinicaltrials.gov...

20. December 16, 2015 — Update on the Campaign Initiated by @attheedgeofscience

$300 is the target @attheedgeofscience has set.

UPDATE/December 20, 2015: We have reached the target!

The funds raised will be used for promoting @attheedgeofscience's article.

Another target was 50 ratings for the below SF0034 Facebook update. We now have 54 ratings.

This means both targets have been reached. Thank you all!

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. John G

John G Member

I liked on FB!

22. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Made my donation.
      Thanks for your efforts.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah they probably would. The average tinnitus patient probably comes here, never bothers to create an account and moves on.

It is what it is as they say.

Sure there may be some who feel that way. I was more thinking about how tinnitus is not a really big issue for the majority of people and would rather not get involved with anything relating to that subject.

25. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Donation made.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I donated 50 spacebucks to the campaign on December 15th,so its already in the tally!
      Lets make this happen :)

Indeed, that is my life... in fact the actual sound I could live with, the sensation... no thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Donated.

Hope the correspondence does us some good. Thanks ATEOS and the TT team.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Donated, a little surprised it's taking this long to gather the $300.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Like Like x 2