Thiamine Pyrophosphate (TPP) Stopped My Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Azariah, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      It seems that 16mg B1 in these Swanson' tablets is TEN times the max RDA - this is NOT mentioned on the Swanson's pack. No RDA is listed.
      So this 10X overdose may have been the cause of the awful spike that has now stopped after two bad days.
      Maybe a spike is in effect super excited nerves from B1 ?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
    3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Arrived today; will keep posted about results.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Hi Kelvin,

Sorry you've had such troubles!

The three things I can think of are these:

(1) As I mentioned very early in this thread, I started off myself with less than 10% of the USRDA of TPP per day because I wanted to avoid any possible negative outcomes, then I slowly upped my dose until about the USRDA over the course of several weeks. It is possible that taking TEN TIMES the USRDA at one time- especially if you were initially deficient- could have initiated a massive biochemical change with a negative side effect. This is exactly why I recommended to everyone to start off very slowly on this stuff and be patient.

(2) I only have experience with the Source Naturals brand. The Swanson brand may be somehow different.

(3) TPP may actually not be what you need.

I will say this in conclusion, though. It is also possible that TPP is EXACTLY what you need. You did get an immediate effect from taking it, which means it did affect you in SOME way. Many of those in this thread who have taken this have gotten no effect whatsoever, either positive or negative. So, in short, your negative effect may be a positive sign.

I suppose my advice would be this:
      (1) Quit TPP entirely for now until your symptoms subside.
      (2) Start up again with the Source Naturals brand if you can find it
      (3) Start out with 10% of the USRDA and slowly work up from there. I explained earlier in this thread how to titrate the dose.

-Azariah

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @Azariah

Many thanks for the advice.
      Always glad to try something.
      Appears I did take quite a bit but the spike in symptoms only lasted about Two days.
      Will try low dosing....I should have read your initial thread properly !!
      The Swanson's is a powder in a shell that comes apart so its easy to take a small dose.
      Thanks again.
      Peace X

6. Everyloop

Everyloop Member

I used this available form of B vitamin from Swanson a bit ago that I just realized doesn't have thiamine pyrophosphate in it

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Everyloop

Everyloop Member

8. computebit

computebit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @Azariah ,

You said that within two days of taking TPP, your tinnitus disappeared in your first. At that time you were still at 1 drop a day? And so if the tinnitus stopped, then why did you feel the need to up the dosage?

I now have tinnitus from an ear infection. When I was on prednisone, it was a bit better. Now that I have stopped taking it, it has come back.

I'm taking Magnesium and Taurine and Serrapeptase. I'm going to take the TPP as you have recommended. 1 drop a day and see how it goes. I'll report back.

But please do let me know why you decided to up the dosage? Thanks!

9. computebit

computebit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Other members that have gotten relief. Can you please tell me what dosage you guys are taking?

Thanks!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      I determined that I was probably deficient in vitamin B1 by taking a food diary. This is why I started taking TPP in the first place, if you read my initial post closely. It was a surprising side effect that it affected my T. ( I did NOT start taking TPP to help with my T.)

In short, I upped the TPP to the USRDA because I felt I was vitamin B1 deficient in my diet.

11. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      @Azariah

Which test would you recommend from a GP to know if you are deficient in supplements? Also you mentioned in your earlier post about GABA. How does this again play important role in your body? I started taking a GABA supplement and noticed that my whole body started tingling everywhere all the way up and down my body. This was the only additional supplement I take after one night. (NAC, Regular B-Complex with C, magnesium l-threonate, Gingko, 5-HTP, and Omega 3, NAD+). Can you please explain? Thanks.

About three weeks ago I did some heavy day drinking and loud exposure to some sounds, since then my T has not come down to baseline and still very strong in my right ear, it's been almost a full month since onset. I've taken low dose of 20mg of prednisone about a week after exposure but still no change.

12. Mangels

Mangels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Hello, this post has not been updated for almost a year. Those of you to whom TPP has taken effect, does the effect remain? How long did you take to feel results after you started taking it? What it have been discussed here seems to be one of the most interesting topics about tinnitus because neural plasticity is now one of the most powerful theories for its treatment and it seems that thiamine acts directly on it.
      Is there something that someone of you could comment? I've been taking TPP for a month and I still can not say for sure, but it seems I'm feeling some improvement. Thank you.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Sorry for my question, is Vitamin B1(Thiamine) and Thiamine pyrophosphate is the same?

14. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    15. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    16. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Then you should know that B vitamins come in many forms... B1 can be found as thiamine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, and thiamine pyrophosphate, the latter being the active form. Forth result of keyword search "Thiamine pyrophosphate" on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...ophosphate&dpPl=1&dpID=31atvk-h8oL&ref=plSrch

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now I understand that thiamin pyrophosphate (TPP) is an active coenzyme form of vitamin B1 that also called Thiamin diphosphate (TDP) or caraboxylase.

18. Bansaw

Bansaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know
      Just reading this thread with some interest after watching a Youtube video which lauds Benfotamine as being very beneficial for restoring nerve damage which has led to tinnitus.
      His hypothesis is that bad diet leading to blood sugar issues and insulin problems leads to nerve damage and in some cases tinnitus.

The Befotamine (which is a synthetic form of Thiamine B1) helps restore these nerves.
      BUt he was also recommending a healthy diet change and IF (Intermittent Fasting). IF kicks in your bodies natural repair system.

I'm doing a three day fast now but am looking at IF starting next week. I think some people have been helped greatly with T by fasting.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Hello all:

I haven't posted here in two years, since June 2017. I had an accident and was in the hospital for a while (non-tinntus related!) I'm better. I have had several requests to update my tinnitus status, and whether I am still using TPP. This is that update:

Yes, I am still taking TPP every single day, about 1.8 mg per day in divided doses. My tinnitus is still well under control. About 90% of the time I have no ringing at all, and the other 10% of days it is very mild. For those who read my initital post here, you know that I suffered from daily tinnitus for over two decades until I found TPP. It has truly improved my life. Even during the quite difficult and stressful times that I had through my serious accident and hospital stay, the tinnitus did not return. As most of you know, stress often induces a tinnitus flair.

That being said, there are times when it HAS returned, sometimes for days at a time--- mostly mild, sometimes not. I have recently discovered another nutritional correlation that affects my tinnitus (which I mentioned in another post.). That is iron. Although I'm not a vegetarian, I don't each much red meat. My usual diet is pretty low in iron. I have discovered that if I don't rectify this and let the low iron diet go on for a long time, the tinnitus will return. I'm looking into starting an iron supplement. There is research correlating low iron intake and tinnitus.

Overall, though, my tinnitus is well under control. I'm doing well!

Does anyone else have any updates?

• Like Like x 4
    20. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I can't find it online. Where do you buy your thiamine pyrophosphate?

21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hey @Azariah -- Thanks for checking back in. Sorry to hear about your serious accident, but happy to hear you seem to be on the mend. Fortunately, your tinnitus didn't spike uncontrollably during that stressful time.

I'll definitely give this co-enzymated B1 a try. Before I got tinnitus last year, I used to take a co-enzymated B-complex by Source Naturals, and liked what it did for me. They then began to have some serious quality control problems with it, so I quit taking it. However, for the relatively low cost, I think I'll give this a try.

BTW, I ran across an article a few years ago on how high-dose thiamine totally transformed the life of a woman with serious Fibromyalgia. Here's a link to her story in case you're interested: -- How I Found My Long-Lost Energy
      --
      EDIT to ADD: -- I just checked, and noticed the Co-Enzymated B-Complex I used to take has 13 mg of Thiamine. So I went ahead and ordered it, as I get a number of other B Vitamins besides the Thiamine. And it appears at literally no extra cost. Here's what I just ordered:

Source Naturals Coenzymate B Complex Fast Acting, Quick Dissolve Orange - 120 Lozenges

BTW, they also have a peppermint flavor, and I found it to be pretty awful tasting. The orange flavor is MUCH better than the peppermint.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Azariah

Azariah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1985
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Hi Lane,

Just FYI, the product you listed does NOT have Thimane Pyrophosphate (TPP) in it. It has regular thiamine, which is a different chemical. TPP is the coenzymated form of thiamine.

Regular thiamine never helped me, only TPP.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've mentioned quite often on this forum that there's often a fair amount of overlap beteen tinnitus and CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I've heard of some people with severe CFS improving dramatically from thiamine supplementation. So I did a quick online search on beriberi (severe thiamine deficiency) and tinnitus. Below is a snippet from this INFORMATIVE ARTICLE:

"Today doctors may misdiagnose thiamin deficiency symptoms as Alzheimer's disease, congestive heart failure, amnesia, anorexia, cancer, [ -- ringing in the ears (tinnitus) -- ], peripheral neuropathy, irritable bowel (ulcerative colitis), loss of vision (amblyopia, cataract), epilepsy, schizophrenia, Guillain-Barré syndrome, glaucoma, arthritis, hearing loss, and psychosis."

• Like Like x 1
    25. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anybody heard of mega-dosing Thiamine? There's been studies that taking higher doses of 1500mg-1800mg has helped people with fibromyalgia and can address neuroinflammation and Glutamate neuroexcitotoxicity which I believe has an effect on tinnitus? Also high doses of Thiamine is relatively safe.

Mega-Dose Thiamine: Beyond Addressing “Deficiency”

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    26. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @Flyingsheep, This is a very interesting & informative article. Inflammation is the root cause of this condition, I’m convinced.

I sincerely hope someone with a medical and/or a scientific background can say at what dose TPP could be beneficial to tinnitus sufferers. I’m not sure what doctor would be willing to inject me with mega doses of TPP, but I’d be willing to try it.

27. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Did you have hearing loss during this time with tinnitus?

28. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since TPP is much more effective, I think you only need to go up to 400mg to mega dose it.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      @Flyingsheep, Is the 400mg an oral or injectable? This of course would make a huge difference in supplementing.

Also, are you currently taking TPP? If so, is it helping you? Thanks.

30. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Orally, and Elliot Overton who wrote that article suggests roughly 400mg for mega dosing TPP.

I don't have TPP yet but I ordered it.

• Like Like x 1