Tinnitus Tamer

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Karl, May 18, 2012.

1. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Yesterday I found an interesting sound therapy device called "Tinnitus Therapy".

(Ok...let me see how I can show you a photo,...this is new to me,...I think it's right here...yes, here it is...click this button...and
      Tah dah!)

Tinnitus Tamer.jpg

You can download Tinnitus Tamer for 14 days free use. To purchase, it's $35.
      The website has a paper that can be downloaded for free: http://www.vavsoft.com/downloads/TT_410_User_Guide.pdf

I read this paper, and it describes quite well how tinnitus is largely a brain perception problem. It is recommended that the user listen to three 10 minute sessions a day. Hey, I can handle that.

In some ways, the sounds that Tinnitus Tamer makes remind me of UST. (I never bought into the UST idea that cells have frequencies they like. I mean, do pimples have a frequency they don't like?).

With Tinnitus Tamer the user has control over the sounds, and is encouraged to try to match the sound to their own tinnitus sound. I'm still playing with this gadget.

I have heard that Dichonics will be coming out with it's own device. I wonder if it will be similar? It's my understanding that Dichonics will set their device to sounds based on a person's audiogram. Looking forward to when they begin marketing that application.

• Like Like x 1
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey Karl..... the PDF you linked says that one must obey the copy right rules and post the website. Do you have that?

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Wow Karl! I read through that PDF. It seems a bit complicated for me. I would have to take a 1/2 day to figure it all out.

Are you trying it out for $35?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Calin -
      The website is http://www.vavsoft.com.

No, I did not purchase the program yet. I've tried it a couple of days, going through all 9 of the preset patterns.

I agree the program is a bit complicated, at first. Now I think I understand what it does. This is what I observed:
      1. There are three frequencies: Low, Medium and High. These frequencies can be adjusted.
      2. The program cycles between the three frequencies.
      3. There is a slider on the right, where you choose how many repetitions of each tone.
      4. There is another slider on the right, where you choose the duration of each tone.
      5. You select either a "Pure" tone (simple frequency), a "Sweep" tone (goes back and forth between the ears) or a "Noise" tone (sort of white noise, but biased toward a frequency).

I think the user is suppose to experiment with these controls and try to match their tinnitus. The objective of this tool is to habituate the user to these tinnitus like tones, so the that the tinnitus sound becomes non-threatening.

My only criticism is a certain lack of control in the high frequencies. My tinnitus is at 4kHz and 8kHz, which are both in the high range. It would be good if I could cycle between those two. I don't think it's doing me much good listening to the low and medium range frequencies. However, the excellent paper explains that the low and medium ranges are important to listen to.

(Has anyone noticed when you post an image, like the one I posted above, the size of the image changes? Strange. When I posted the image, it was big. Now it's small)

• Like Like x 1
    5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Wow Karl! You are great at explaining that stuff! Thanks a bunch!

I kind of get the concept and it absolutely may work. I am kinda chicken right now as I am doing so many other things and I don't want to get another tone added like before or intensify the T right now. I am working on it diminishing.

I will follow someone else's journey with it though - with best wishes of course!

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Karl -- Thanks for posting this information! This really does sound similar to the Dichonics program, which I'm still thinking about trying when it's available online. It's all about matching your tinnitus tone and habituating to it, so it will eventually cancel the T.

I'll be interested to hear about your progress using Tinnitus Tamer (my T is in the high-frequency range, too). Is it irritating to listen to a tone that's a lot like your tinnitus? Or do you get the feeling that it is cancelling out your tinnitus tone? That's what I'm trying to understand (conceptualize).

The UST is similar in concept, except that you can't adjust anything to suit your own tinnitus frequency. I'm still using the UST (it's been over 4 months now). It has taken the edge off, but the tinnitus is still there. With the UST, you are listening to both low and very high frequencies. I find it soothing, but I can still hear my ringing and pulsating through it.

Keep us posted on your progress!

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The image is big if you view this discussion while logged in.

Viewing as a guest it's small. I guess it's a default feature* of this forum software to save bandwidth or something and only show big versions of pictures to logged in users...

It looks like this when logged in:
      20120519-enm5q68bg75425tgbtbyxm9qic.png

And like this when viewing the discussion as a guest:
      20120519-da8s2jgtsw9ppgem1en8hitd8c.png

*However, I just changed the behavior, and now also guests can see the original/big versions of attached images. It's better this way.

Thanks Karl (y)

8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      There is a distinct difference with UST and the Tinnitus Tamer. The UST is for resonating with healthy functioning of cells and body systems. The Tinnitus Tamer is a method to cancel the feedback loop I believe. Both sound good to me! ;)

This Tinnitus Tamer could take months and months... similar to the UST. I guess one could go with what makes sense or feels right to them.

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makes sense to me. Hmm --- I wonder what would happen if one were to use both at the same time?

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Markuu -
      Thanks for the adjustment in the image size. I figured there was some logic to it, based on ASP or PHP hypertext language. Something like:

If User$="Karl" then
      Show BigImage
      Else
      Show SmallImage
      End If

Karen -
      I'm also waiting for Dichonics to unveil its program. They have a proven track record.

However, I've been doing my own tinnitus sound therapy, listening to an MP3 sound file that I made myself using a frequency generator. I've noticed a definite change in my tinnitus in my right ear. After almost 5 weeks of listening to these custom tones, it sounds more like a hiss than a pure tone. If I keep losing the tinnitus sound, I may not chose to try Dichonics.

To Anybody Who is Desperate About Tinnitus: Try some kind of sound therapy. Maskers, white noise, special music, ...etc. You may not find the right thing at first. But I'm convinced doing something, whatever works best for you, begins the habituation process. These things somehow provide a time of "safe refuge" from the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Any updates on this? How is it working for you guys?

12. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      Hi I'm also wondering if anyone has had a go at this?
      I might try it out, but is it better to to use something like this, where you listen to the tone of your tinnitus or is it better to not listen to it (notched music)
      It seems a bit conflicting? Or I might be getting confused.

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't tried Tinnitus Tamer, but I have been testing the Soundcure Serenade device for the past 3 weeks. The Serenade is programmed with two S-tones (similar to your tinnitus) by the audiologist, through computerized testing. There are a total of 4 tones on the Serenade, two of which are pink and white noise. I mostly listened to my two S-tones during the test, to see what would happen. For me, the S-tones did help me to stay calm during the peaks of my tinnitus, but, since I have both ringing and pulsating, the S-tones didn't really calm my turbulence. When my tinnitus is at its worst, it's like my head is vibrating from the sound, and the tones that were similar to my tinnitus didn't really help.

So -- I'd say that it depends on the type of tinnitus you have, as to whether tones like those of your tinnitus would help or hinder. As for me, I think I'm better off with something like calming nature sounds, pink noise, or white noise.

14. Niko

Niko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      How do you find out what frequency your T is?​

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Niko -
      You can determine the frequency of your tinnitus from an audiogram. If you haven't had an audiogram, you may want to see an an audiologist.

If you have not had an audiogram, there is a tone generator, "NCH tone generator", which you can download. If you know how to tune an instrument, you should be able to adjust the pitch of the NCH tone generator to your tinnitus very closely.

I wrote this page about Tinnitus Tamer quite some time ago. I used it for perhaps a month, and have not used it since. Since then I tried other types of sound therapy. The one I use the most is an MP3 file that I made from the NCH generator of a pure 4 kHz tone, which matches my tinnitus. Sometimes I listen to that for 1-2 hours at a low volume.

I also have maskers which I have used on and off, which are white noise. Tinnitus Tamer can be controled to yield these types of sounds. It has a very nice brochure explaining tinnitus which you can download for free.

Along the same line of remedies, the ATA is marketing Sound Cure as a form of sound therapy to allow a person to habituate. They claim that "S-tones" have been found to be more effective than pure sinusoidal tones in "suppressing" tinnitus. (Quotations on "suppressing", because these tests were subjective questions, not objective tests like the MEG/MRI scans.)

I think the concept of using sound therapy is to have a noise that makes your tinnitus less noticeable, to lessen the psychological tension. Maskers are the "tool of choice" of TRT, to be worn 8 hours a day.

• Like Like x 1
    16. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Just bought the tinnitus tamer , trying it now.

Without using Tinnitus tamer and doing my own trials I have found that when I listen to my exact tinnitus frequency it disappears for maybe 2-3 seconds and then gradually fades back in. Not a very long time indeed but still , exquisite 2-3 seconds .:confused: Funnily enough this happens even though I listen with my right ear which is not nearly as bad and even quiet most of the time.

I have mostly two frequencies , 3.1 Khz which is also a frequency where I seem to have the largest drop in hearing, and some other very high frequency that I have not pinpointed yet. There might even be multiple high freq as it seems somewhat modulated , mora akin to a squarewave then a sine, a chirp ...crickets on speed.o_O

Some days I wake up with the hi one and that one bothers me through the day , sometimes its the low one and that one stays for the day , unless I take a nap and then its a roll of the dice. Sometimes , rarely its both freq.

Today , it was the lower one.
      So......Just now , after setting tinnitus tamer to 3.1khz and running it , its gone ?
      Obviously I will have to try again and see what happens, it unlikely this will last ...but we'll see.

I couldnt set the hi frequency as I do not know the exact Khz , but the main one is completely gone at the moment?
      This is probably the closest I have got to silence so far ....of course it could be a coincidence, I have had loads of moments where I thought something was working and it was simply a coincidence or placebo.
      I have had a pretty bad T day and maybe its just subsiding
      Interesting nonetheless and very welcome relief.

On a sidenote.. This is where I think doctors get it wrong when they say that lots of people have T but no hearing loss, I have drop at 3.1khz but not at 3 and not at 3.3 , the bandwith of this drop is very narrow and would never show up on an audiogram . Also ...imagine if they tested at 3.1 , then my audiogram would look much worse than it actually is as it would be represented as a big drop all the way to the next test frequency or 4khz in this case.

Audiograms are highly flawed and laughable even.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Vorbosh Van Zeelander

Vorbosh Van Zeelander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/2013
      First thanks very much to RaZaH for this idea. I wouldn't have had it if I hadn't read his post above.

18. Vorbosh Van Zeelander

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/2013
      So the idea is this, listing briefly to a sound which is identical to the sound of your tinnitus will remind your brain that the sound can stop. I've seen this posted in other forums and while I was playing with Tinnitus Tamer, I found the same effect that RaZaH describes above. I would describe it as reseting the brain. The effect seems to be temporary (seconds and sometimes minutes) but its a great relief.

So I've created an mp3 file that plays the sound of my tinnitus at random intervals for about 30 seconds and it seems to keep working. Its especially a relief when the tinnitus is screeming first thing in the morning or when I'm tired or stressed.

Here's how to create an mp3 of your own. (The software here referenced here established is probably bug free but there are no guantees when you deal with the internet)

First find out what the frequency of your tinnitus is using Audio Notch's free utility. Google Audionotch and tuner. Remember to set the volume very low so you don't hurt yourself and then bring it up until its comfortable. Try doing this first thing in the morning or when your tinittus is loud. And rember to remeasure the sound because it changes over time. Mine started at 14000 khz and then moved to 12000 khz.

Once you have the sound, go to Audacity's website and download Audacity (it is free) Google Audacity.
      Choose to install the windows option if you have windows. Obviously.

After you install and open Audacity, you will see a blank workspace.

Navigate to Generate>Tone. A window will appear and you will type in the frequency of your tinnitus in the box called "Frequency". Obviously. In the Duration box you will see it is set to 1 second. Change it to .5

You will now see a ribbon with your sound displayed for .5 seconds. Slide the bar at the bottom to the right as far as it will go and click your cursor jus to the right of the blue ribbon so that a vertical black line is fixed on the ribbon in the grey area.

Now navigate to Generate>Silence and enter 1 second or something close. This idea is to alternate random sounds with random intervals of silence. Slide the bar at the bottom of the screen and you will notice that it ends at about 1.5 seconds.

Now repeat the steps above starting with navigating to Generate>Tone and this time select the drop down arrow next to the duration box and select "hh:mm:ss+milliseconds" and enter .8 seconds or some other duration. The alternate with a random duration. Anything up to 2 seconds for a tone or silence is probably good but this is just speculation. The key is to try to not use a pattern so your brain doesn't anticipate the sound. Keep alternating silence and tone untill you have a 30 second track.

Next navigate to File>Export and then type in the name of the file you wish to save. Select "MP3 Files" from the drop down list under "Save as Type". Click on "Options" right under the "Cancel" button and make sure the quality is set to 320kbs. And finally hit "OK" and then "Save". Click "OK" one more time in the new window.

That's it.

As with anything you try. Please post a reply over time and let people know how it works or if you have an improvement or new method. Every little bit of experience helps as long as we share it.

• Like Like x 2
    19. Vorbosh Van Zeelander

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/2013
      And please remember to keep the volume very low.

20. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Regarding Tinnitus tamer.

I used to have an incredibly annoying 3.35 Khz tone for the first year or so. It is a somewhat low tone compared to the high whine I have now so it was pretty easy for me to pinpoint exactly the frequency . It it more then possible that it was a coincident but after using tinnitus tamer for a week or so where I set it to that frequency only and played it with a few seconds intervals for 10 minutes at a time , it pretty much went away?

99% odds of it being a coincident. I would do the same for the high whine but I can only guess that its at about 12-13 Khz and its impossible to pinpoint. I gather that Tinnitus tamer works on the idea that hearing the tone stop tells your brain that it *can* actually stop , not sure though?

Funnily enough I stumbled upon a similar/connected phenomenon while doing some electric testing where a meter I was using puts out a tone when I get a connection , every time it beeped my tinnitus disappeared for a few seconds?
      I soon realised that it wasn't practical to carry around an electric meter and connecting the probes every few seconds.:confused:

So I bought Tinnitus Tamer.

I am now thinking of doing another test and try tracking down the exact frequency of the high whine and hit it with tinnitus tamer. You never know .... Or I will do a *ghetto* install of these electric meters in my ears.:wacky:

As a sidenote , I have always been conflicted about which is more annoying, the lower tones or the hi pitch whine.
      Admittedly I don't really hear the low one anymore , only occasionally but I think I have come to the conclusion that even though the Hi pitch is easier to mask, the lower one is not as annoying. The high one drives me nuts !

21. Vorbosh Van Zeelander

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/2013
      I have been using audio notch for a high frequency around 14600. It does not seam to work. Your comment gives me hope. I will try the 10min idea and see where it leads. good luck.

22. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
    23. Leslodgeside

Leslodgeside Member

is anyone still using this app? I purchased a week ago, and while it is early days, perversely I have noticed a slight improvement in my hearing, and also my sinuses are so much clearer.Has anyone else had a similar response.In addition what are the results for help with tinnitus out there?

24. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I downloaded the free TT app. I found it a bit buggy and not that intuitive. Granted I did not go through it thoroughly at the time. I was also running pillar to post, looking for a quick fix. That furious search for an instant T cure / remedy that accompanies the first few months of T. I'm still in a bad way but have had a few good T days. So it gives me hope that I can overcome this T and get it back to a manageable level. Right now prob a 35% (good T day) / 65% (bad T day) ratio. So onward I march with the help and support of other T sufferers.
      I'm busy playing around with audionotch and plan to create some wavs in Audacity as Vorbosh Van Zeelander describes. Will let you know how it goes.

Steve

25. Ervan
      Blah

Ervan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Follow up please.. Any result?

26. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @Ervan

I didn't continue with this much further. I opted for the Zen Widex hearing aids as I also have associated high frequency hearing loss. The hearing aids are quite expensive though. If you buy the Unidex with this (also pricey), you can play any sound from your laptop/cellphone. The Zen Widex you can program with pink noise and the zen tones, which you can either use as a treatment or a a masker.

So i'm sorry I can't help with any more info with the free TT app.

All the best
      ~S

27. Ervan
      Blah

Ervan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hello @SteveToHeal ,
      How long do you use zen widex hearing aid? Any improvement? Im found sound of zen widex treatment by youtube, but its only 8minutes, and i dont know it suitable for me or not.. And how yours? Soryy for my bad english

28. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I got the Zen Widex in December and used it as a treatment for T. You put the Zen tones on, when you want to calm the T down. It doesn't really work that well except maybe give you something else to focus your attention on. The Zen tones are set below your T volume so it does not mask your T. Over time it is supposed to help habituate but i did not continue with it. The hearing aids also irritated my ears a bit, made them scratchy. So i used them less and less until stopping completely.

Then i saw an audio in April that configured them as a masker with pink noise and set 3 types of zen tones on them. Ocean Zen, Forest Zen and Pink Noise. That I use when the T is loud i..e. a 7 or 8. It helps to some degree. The best treatment i've found for T so far is the right meds to help u sleep and a good SNRI. Then T comes down. Then maybe some psychotherapy. I don't really rate the Zen Widex as a treatment and def not a cure.

You may as well find any free sounds on the net and listen to that. However, some people strongly believe in ACRN, sound therapy and notched music as proper therapy so PLEASE don't take my word for it that they don't work. It is just my experience of them. I am also very impatient so perhaps I needed to persevere with them more. I don't claim to be a doctor. It would be very irresponsible of me if I presumed to know medically what is right for you. The best is to consult a GOOD audiologist.

To answer your question, you can play the Zen Widex tones forever i you want or until the battery runs out. You have to change the battery once every 3 days.

I hope that helps.

29. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I have Menieres, therefore my hearing flucuates (hearing is lower in the left ear) and the sounds are varied and the spikes come and go. Would this work for someone such as myself?

30. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      The Zen Widex is designed for T. I don't know a lot about Menieres. I know T accompanies it. As I explained to Ervan above, I didn't really work for me. It might help you though. I wouldn't be able to say if it will or won't though. Everyone's T is unique and reacts differently to different things. As I said to Ervan, the best is to first consult with your audiologist to see if it is even designed/prescribed for Menieres. Then make a decision if it is right for you. Personally I think you can get the same audio therapy on an ipod for free. Just get some decent earphones that aren't going to make your T worse.