Washington DC Shooter Had "Ringing in His Ears".

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hudson, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      While there is obviously nothing positive about this situation, I hope that this situation raises awareness of the psychological impacts that tinnitus can have on people. I doubt it will unfortunately though.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I've been watching CNN and no mention about his T, even once.

4. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Interesting, I am a vet and receive compensation for tinnitus..There about 28 million vets in the USA. I have read that about 1/2 of those experience tinnitus. I have personally known vets who say they have it but never applied for compensation or help. Most old time vets do not know they can receive help or comp pay for this disability.

Right now only about 850,000 receive compensation and health care relating to tinnitus which includes mental health issues in regard to it.

Tinnitus has a serious psychological impact on its victims. A great deal more than the unknowing public cares or even wants to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I do want to say: While I agree tinnitus is far more disabling and serious than the public realizes... I suspect there was more going on with this shooter than ringing in his ears. Tinnitus causes serious psychological conditions (hey, it triggered anxiety attacks for me when I had no previous condition). But that's not the same as being chronically mentally ill.

I often see posters saying tinnitus caused Van Gogh to cut off his ear. Who knows? But Van Gogh also suffered epileptic seizures, probably was bipolar or clinically depressed, and was hospitalized for some time. He also had a serious absinthe habit, which didn't help him any.

I would hate newbies to jump to the conclusion that today I have tinnitus, tomorrow I will be for a ready for a mental institution. On the other hand, if you find your tinnitus is causing you serious anxiety or depression, get help. I did, right away. Cognitive behavioral therapy, coupled with temporary meds, was one of the best things that happened to me. You can't deal with tinnitus when you are freaking out.

• Like Like x 1