What Lowers Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Martin69, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      This is a serious question. Some days ago I had the impression my T was lower and I could not hear it all the time. This was much better to handle for me. It was the first time after many months. But I have no clue why it was milder, I even cannot say if it was just perception. It went back to the ugly head sound I am still trying habituating to.

My question is therefore if there is anything that lowers your T. So for example a supplement (for example NAC or whatever), a good sleep, listening to particular sounds, avoiding certain food and so on. Taking addictive meds is not what I am looking for.

So would be good if we can collect something. Unfortunately for me there is nothing yet that decreases the volume even a little bit. Thanks for all your answers.

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Good sleep and relaxing normally, but still the volume seems totally random. No logic I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Goodnight sleep and I use something called TONE from New Nordic....works for me....

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Nothing lowers mine, but generally speaking (and this is good for anyone regardless of whether it lowers tinnitus or not...):
      • Enough sleep and paying attention to its quality (too many people sleep on bad mattresses etc.)
      • Lowering stress at all costs (if need be and only possible, changing jobs, making other adjustments to life)
      • Plenty of exercise
      • Healthy diet (doesn't mean you need to eat only greens for the rest of your life)

Nothing new of course in the above. But still.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Rico.
      Yes, I read this but was really wondering that it works for you.
      It seems another gingko pill where most people say it doesn't do anything for them.
      Can you give details about dosage and how and when it changed your T?
      Take care,
      Martin

6. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mostly sleep. I've been sleeping flat on my back without pillows and that may help, too early to tell. If so it's probably because I have some neck issues that contribute.

So far as supplements go, I think ALA helps, because I ran out awhile back and immediately had some bad days. Started again on 100mg morning and bedtime, and back to better days.

If I stay on ginko, I don't have aural fullness, but it doesn't affect volume or intensity.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Good sleep and relaxation, such as going out the great outdoors. T might have stayed the same level, but being out there with all the fun and distractions, T usually take a back seat. I don't avoid any foods and don't take supplements.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Some days are lower than others but I can't say why. I don't do anything different. Diet doesn't seem to effect anything. I start each day with a two to three mile walk--my T is always louder when I wake up. Then I shower and go to work. It's usually lower by the time I leave but sometimes the quiet of my office makes it seem louder. I make sure I get at least 7 hours of good sleep. I can sleep with just a fan on--I can hear my T but it doesn't keep me awake. On weekends it tends to be better. I'm not scared of it anymore and continue on with my day/plans no matter what.

It wasn't like that in the beginning. I used to be terrorized by my T and couldn't stand to hear it. Now it doesn't bother me too much if I hear it. I think CBT helped with that. I lead a fairly normal life.

• Like Like x 2
    9. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take 2 pills a day.... and nothing else..... and for some reason it lowers my T extremly. Or it is just stupid luck that the moment I started this my T went down, but i do not think that is the case. I stopped all other stuff like B12, Magnesium, D etc etc and only use this now. If it's a placebo than I can fool my brain good with it *laugh*
      I is just weird. What works for some does not work for others and believe me I did not even want to try it because I saw what was in it and it is almost the same I already took. But perhaps it's the dosage of all ingredients.....
      A woman in the store who sold it to me asked if I had tinnitus because I asked for NAC. She than said we do not have that but you can try TONE....it worked for her and her mother and she still used it.
      So I said...yeah right I do not believe you....that she cleared her pockets and there was a strip of TONE in her pocket *laugh* she said. I never leave home without it. So I said ok I'll give it a try although it is expensive.
      After that I searched the internet and could not find much about it. I took it and the next day in the morning again...and since than it becomes lower and lower. The fullness in my ear is completly gone now. And I had that for months...sometimes less sometimes more, but now it is completly gone.

So if I walk in a silent room I don't have that fullness feeling anymore and the sound seems more in the background now even when it is silent. If things change I let you all know, but for now it's a blessing

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @RicoS
      What exactly is TONE?

11. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      By reducing the level of stress in my life to the degree that it was possible I have lowered the volume of my T more than once in the past. Markku specifically mentioned this in his post. However, it is so important that it is worth repeating.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Nurselyn

Nurselyn Guest

Hi~~~I have tried everything !!!! Eve n experimental surgery ,that didn't work .but now I have something that looks like a hearing aides it's called Xino I have T in my left ear only and the one in my right ear works as a hearing aide ..... These are awesome !!! The left one actually has a white noise that is matched to the T and really makes the day bearable for me .Dr. Jack Vernon told me to take 1 mg of Xanax at night and w/ both of these. After 25 years I can now live w/ T . Please ask anything you would like about this . The Starkey Co. Has the Xinos ... Thanks for reading ..... Hope you have a quiet day . Lynn

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Martin
      Great to hear that you noticed some improvement (at least for a little while); there's a 'chink-in-the-armor'. I agree with @Markku @billie48 @Kathi -- a good night's sleep; less stress in life (obviously good health plays a major role in those two aspects of life). For quite some time the T IS the stress in your life (and robs you of sleep); as you slowly habituate, the T is less of a cause for stress and things start to spiral back up for you (and always at a pace that is waaaaaay toooo slow for our liking).

I found a couple good links about the neuro-science of T; the content of which is way over my head, but the gist of which = sleep good, stress bad :) .

They make a great observation as to why they have not been able to come up with a single pill that will target T; it's because for the last 50 plus years biologists have followed a reductionist paradigm for the purpose of discovering all the mechanisms and processes of ever smaller cell bodies (they buried themselves deep in their microscopes and couldn't see the forest for all the trees in the way -- an obvious track to follow) but what they are discovering is a new paradigm of biology-systems wherein the different areas of the brain work together to accomplish a task. Therefore, the original 'magic-bullet' approach (wherein a particular cell function is targeted) is essentially handicapped from the onset because an entire neural-network must be mapped and addressed; they call this the 'magic-shotgun' approach.

Perhaps they will come up a workable definition of T (as a biological-system, meaning the neuro-science as well as the somatic-sensory of the auditory system) and move forward from there.

Sorry for the long tangent, I just found it so fascinating; so glad to hear you had a good day and that perhaps you have made some progress down the road to habituation.

Here's the links if you are interested;
      http://books.google.com/books?id=lJ...the auditory system&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=true

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7007/7/80#abs

Mark

• Like Like x 2
    14. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      My T is reset every morning... always much lower after a nap or sleep. In the morning, I almost don't hear it.

• Like Like x 1
    15. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      http://www.newnordicshop.ca/ear-tone/

This is TONE.... what I use. It does what is says (for me) it lowers the perception of Tinnitus. My T is not gone, but it is way more in the back for some reason. The sound is even the same ...but I don't know how to say it....it is lower that is for sure, but it is also more in the background. You can have T that sounds soft but you can still hear it over everything, but with this for some reason the sound is more in the back. And I repeat ...the fullness feeling in my ear (especially when entering a silent room) is completly gone.

But you also must not stress to much and keep you mind of T. The last thing is the hard part.....I think a million times about it even when I do not hear it. But with this lower sound I realy pay less attention to it. Instead of a million times now only 100.000 :)

Don't think this is the holy grail or something.... if it works for you good if not....try something that does work. Like I said in another post I realy didn't want to talk about Tone because I just use it and wanted to wait for a month or 3 , but some other forummember was realy down so I thought perhaps this might help for him.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hey Rico.
      Totally agree. Even on better days, thoughts are all around T - since you want to get rid of it.
      I hope it stays lower for you.
      Take care.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Thanks Mark.
      Yes, at least it was some relief.
      The book looks interesting, but I don't know if I want to deal with the subject (T) more than really necessary.

18. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

I have quieter days with my tinnitus and I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason for it.

The only thing I've been able to do to make it "seem" quieter is keep myself busy. When I find my tinnitus rearing its ugly head I immediately focus on a task that is repetitive and consuming. After some time has passed and I forget why I'm engaging my mind so much the tinnitus takes a back seat.

Usually I can get that "low" to last for a few hours before it rears its ugly head again. It's weird - trying to make my mind forget about it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      weird...I woke up this morning, T so faint that I wondered if it was still there.

It's so weird that sleeping resets it... I wish I knew how to explain that one... but I do appreciate these precious minutes in the morning where I almost feel normal again. When the T is super loud (at work or in the evening), I always look forward to the following morning when my T will be lower again...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      Funnily enough, my T completely went a few days ago for the whole day. It was SO quiet, it was lovely. I knew it was gone because I normally go for walks at about 12/1 a.m, and I can always hear my T during those walks. But that night I could hear NOTHING. It was great.

The week prior to this I had been inhaling Olbas oil every day to see if decongesting my Eustachian Tubes would help, which it must have. That day my hay fever was non existent also!

• Like Like x 3
    21. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      What lowers your tinnitus is different for everyone but for me

1. Good nutrition
      2. Hydration
      3. Periodical exercise
      4. Plenty of rest
      5. Avoiding stress
      6. A consistent sleep routine

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Sleep isn't working for me anymore, but I do value sleeping good.
      The moment I wake up - T is all I heard. I feel doomed. It's a lifetime sentence.
      It just seems loud in the morning in a quiet room,,,,,,,, when my desire is to wake up to low T.

But I have to agree with @billie48, the great outdoors and all its distraction seems to help.
      And maybe a cold beer in the afternoon lessens my caring about it.

23. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      @RicoS , I was was wondering how is you friendship with TONE going on ? I bought it today to give it a try..Can't hurt and I believe if it helped you it could maybe help me too..If only by 20%, that's already worth it. I believe in the power of plants more than chemicals . Plants can influence the body much stroger than most people imagine.
      Just wondering if it still works for you..The girl in the pharmacie said she has a lot of positive feedbacks and poeple keep buying it. She didn't need to say it cause I came there asking direcly for the product in order to buy it.

24. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      I will get it tomorrow again...to be honest I totaly forget about it because after that I was habituated....
      After a recent setback I have to start over again...so tomorrow I will buy Tone again. It indeed helped me the best at the time!

• Like Like x 1
    25. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      NOTHING, unfortunately.

26. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Sticking my finger inside my ear stops mine but as soon as I take the finger out the noise is back :(.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Absolutely nothing that lowers mine.
      I have to avoid so many things because they make my Monster T even worse (i.e noise, stress, arguments, all exercises that rise blood pressure...even hot baths included etc.)

But since this thread is a bit older - by now trobalt seems to do something for Martin69

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Yes my humming tone goes when I cover ear .. so strange.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I find that keeping busy and going outside and doing things helps me to forget about it and the more I forget the softer it gets. Staying at home on the computer is usually when its at its loudest. Keeping a positive attitude helps, no stress, no negative thoughts, dont react to it. The more I accept T the softer it gets for me. If I can get engaged at work, it seems to go away during that time. Basically the less you can think about it, the better it gets.