1 Week In: Wondering If This Is Permanent

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lindsey, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago.
      Okay hi everyone. I'm new here. My T started a week ago. 2 days into my TV I got prescribed Prednisone. Only a 5 day 50 mg no tapper. I'm into my day 4.. 2 days into the steroids my TV has been very low sometimes not even noticeable. I'm not sure if it's the steroids or me just being used to it already. Even my spikes are pretty low.. just recognizable I'm in my glory with this right now. There isn't a known cause for my T. I haven't been to an ENT. Unfortunately for me I have no health insurance.... so I'm SOL there. I was wondering what everyone thought though... if I'm only a week in and my T is so low... does it sound like maybe it isn't permanent? .... again no known cause. But I'm willing to bet.. it wasn't noise induced I've never exposed myself to loud noise... I do have anxiety. My stress was high when it happened. I am terrified that after I'm done the steroids that it will get louder again and I won't know what to do.. I was very bad in the beginning of this week when it started... I was thinking suicide 2 days in and I've been crying every day.. im 21 years old and just hardly started my life... im afraid to live with this forever and I don't think I'll habituate well... what are everyone's thoughts on this thing staying forever.. im already nuts a week in I give go huge props too those of you who have been dealing with this .....

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Week long tinnitus is cause for concern. There's no substitute and you have to see a doctor to see if there is something that needs treatment.

Otherwise you may enroll in the AM-101 treatment for acute tinnitus if you are eligible.

http://tinnitus-study.info

3. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      Only been 1 week, give it time, there is a lot of cases where the tinnitus goes away within weeks/months.

My tinnitus was loud as heck the first three days, and then it settled down to a level where i only heard in silence. My doc told it would fade away within weeks, but now 7 weeks after im still here with no improvement at all. and it has even gotten louder, still hoping it will be gone soon. I have no hearing obvious hearig loss but you should make an appointment with ENT and check it out. Mine was noice-induced, and since your isnt i believe you should have very good chance of getting rid of it.

if it doesnt go away: welcome to hell, but comfort yourself knowing there might be a cure within 10-15 years

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you have an acoustic trauma (very loud event)? Do you have severe hearing loss, or just the T?

You could look at the AM-101 trial info, but keep in mind that it involves mechanical puncture of your ear drum, and as far as I know it's only intended to treat tinnitus was a result of trauma to the inner ear.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also for what it's worth, I know far more people who have had tinnitus for a few days / weeks, than people with chronic T.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lindsey

Lindsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago.
      Inever put myself in a noisy situation.. that I can remember I've only ever been to one concert last year.. I don't go to clubs or anywhere with loud music. My ears do feel clogged with the ringing for the most part the GP said I had some fluid in my ear and gave me steroids.. as far as I can tell it has lowered the volume of the t. So far. Tomorrow is my last day of the steroid. I just got out of the shower and my T is bothering me. It's a little louder but it sounds a little different. . Idk. As far as I know the only criteria I meet is the stress and anxiety. Maybe too much ibeproufen.. but no hearing loss or damage.. no ear infections or anything like that

7. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what about months?

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      off the top of my head, I know one person who had it for years while he was on adderall and doesn't have it now, and another person who developed it randomly from what she later decided were food allergies, had it for months until she figured it out, and doesn't have it anymore unless she eats those foods. I also had a doctor at one point who said he had it pretty significantly for most of his 20's and not afterwards.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but it happens.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lindsey

Lindsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week ago.
      So are you saying it's possible it'll go away on its own?... im trying to hold onto this thought. I was already bad with anxiety my entire life. This has just turned everything upside down

10. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no cases of noice-induced tinnitus going away?

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sure they are out there, and probably plentiful? You shouldn't take my handful of personal anecdotes as any kind of statistical data set -- I was just trying to offer vague reassurance to @Lindsay, who, from the sound of it, does not have trauma-induced tinnitus.

I will also say, anecdotally, that all the people I personally know who have chronic T from noise trauma, freaked the fuck out about the noise trauma and tinnitus for weeks or months during onset... whereas the people I know who had tinnitus for a few days/week following a really loud event, reacted to it by thinking "that's annoying, it will probably go away". If that's an actual statistical commonality, the interesting question is whether the psychological reaction to the event, in and of itself, is the thing that affects the long-term prognosis... or whether people who are likely to obsess and freak the fuck out, are also more likely to have chronic tinnitus for genetic reasons.

12. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      so basically I should stop freaking out and my tinnitus may go away? hmm..cant hurt to try. personally i think as soon as somebody joins this forum, you're tinnitus is most likely permanent. I should have stayed away, and just tried to do my best to ignore this noise. Only if i could go back in time.

hey but based on your experience, is 1 month and three weeks with tinnitus too early to tell if it's permanent, or should I just accept it already? what do you think

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the best thing you can do now is try to accept your current experience for what it is, without thinking about the future. No one can tell you what your future holds, and I'm just some guy on the internet. I don't know much about how your brain works, I maybe know a little bit about my own, and about equanimity.

14. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      you're right. i will try my best.... thank you!