16-Year-Old Musician

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Isuckatusernames, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Isuckatusernames

Isuckatusernames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      The only thing I enjoy in life is music, I really don't have any friends besides my drummer and guitarist, my entire family left me besides my mom and over the last two years I've been pretty depressed. Then last month I saw Slayer and then later Megadeth. Ever since, I've had a horrible ringing in my left ear that's been getting worse and worse as time goes on. I really don't want to give up music, but I also don't want to go deaf or lose most of my hearing or something. I need advice, what do?

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Best advice is stop going to very loud things for a while, always wear earplugs when playing music, don't expose yourself to >100db for any period of time even with earplugs, and see if it settles down / gets better.

You're still young and growing so you might have a better shot at having this get better than someone twice your age, but if you really mess your ears up now you will have to live with it for the rest of your life.

I did a lot of other dumb stuff when I was a teenager which I in no way regret, but I do wish I'd been more careful with my ears!

• Like Like x 1
    3. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, first thing is first. Do you wear earplugs? If the answer is no start wearing them immediately in any situation that you have to raise your voice to be heard.

Secondly, get a decibel meter or download a decibel meter app. Use it at practice or jams. If it goes above eighty five, which is REALLY easy to do, you need earplugs. I would recommend keeping practice underneath 100 decibels at all costs.

Thirdly, DON'T PRACTICE LOUD! If you practice quieter it lets you hear the instruments better so you know who is making mistakes or what parts of songs really sound like. There are many things that get lost in the wash of high volume that become glaring when everything is quieter.

Finally, it probably would not be a bad idea to take a couple months or so away from loud music. This can really help out your auditory system to possible recuperate from damage that has been done.

Also, be careful with the car stereo and headphones. Those things will tear you up just as bad as a metal band in an arena. I am also a younger musician that has tinnitus and it is no fun. However, it is possible to keep going you just have to play it very safe every time to minimize all possible damage to yourself.

Feel free to message me man!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I'm a metalhead over twice your age, been in several bands, recorded a couple of underground albums over the years and been to countless concerts from age 15 onwards. Seen many of the great bands from ac/dc to morbid angel...

PROTECT YOUR HEARING!

Invest in good earplugs, stay at the back of the concert hall, etc etc. Also, don't listen to your ipod at max volume and through shitty earphones. Use common sense and you will be able to enjoy your music untill you get old, fat and balding like Axl Rose. You've had some ringing, now that's a warning sign if anything.

Incidentally, i have always protected my ears as a musician. i was involuntary exposed to gunfire. Shit happens I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isuckatusernames

Isuckatusernames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I've been trying to explain this to my guitarist for a while, lol.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isuckatusernames

Isuckatusernames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I'll be sure to do this, I've been using some crappy dollar store ones for practice.

7. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, i really try to avoid speading any negativity on this forum, but I remember that when i was 16 and still a skinny, pimple-faced metal teen sporting oversized Deicide shirts daydreaming of touring the world one day, the only thing that would make an impact was a bit of shock treatment, so here goes: http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=9135

I actually know some of the guys former bandmates.. The drummer is now playing in an acclaimed metal band in my area. Show this to your bandmates and tell them an old metalhead warned ya!
      This is a *very* extreme case, but it just goes to show that hearing damage can mess up people's lives badly. Better safe than sorry, mate.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isuckatusernames

Isuckatusernames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I just sent it to them, and I'm definitely going to invest in better ear plugs, holy hell.

9. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If explaining does not do it, try forceful explaining. If that does not do it, then tell him that you will walk if he does not turn down. If he continues to crank stuff at practice, I would quit.

But then again... I am into indie and not metal. So I already prefer quieter stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah man, it's just not worth it. But the good news is, it's preventable. So get those musicians earplugs and play at moderate volumes, take regular breaks at rehearsals and concerts and just be aware of what noise exposure can do to your ears in the long run.

• Like Like x 2
    11. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Maybe it is just me being overly-protective, but I do think it is best to play with those squishy foam ear plugs. The attenuate much more than the custom plugs. But this is coming from a bassist who does not care about hearing sparkly treble.

12. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Also a tip for EQ'ing your instrument with plugs in:

1. Does your tone feel thin?
      2. Does it sound very dead?
      3. Do you feel like you are much too quiet?

If all of those are a yes, Congratulations! Your guitar or bass now sounds perfect to those who are not wearing earplugs!

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm it's open to debate i guess, i'd even go so far as to recommend to double up for rehearsals, so musicians earplugs/foamies and muffs on top..
      Those foamies really need to be inserted properly too, deep into the ear canal. Incidentally, the guy who killed himself from the article i posted was wearing foam plugs for rehearsals. I bet he wasn't using them properly so they gave him a false sense of protection.

14. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just prefer the foam ones for rehearsing. I always make sure they are jammed pretty good into my ear canal.

The flat attenuation plugs are good for things like movies and parties; things where hearing all the details required to speak to someone is important. Usually, amplified music is loud enough to get all the necessary details without needing the added clarity of the fancy plugs. HOWEVER, that is totally subjective to your band or how you need to hear the music for your instrument.

I totally do the ear muffs over plugs when I am playing drums, even at shows. Drums and cymbals are really powerful and I think require protection like that for someone with sensitive ears. Here is a picture of me lookin' like a nerd with my ear muffs at a show:

Attached Files: