4 Weeks In and Getting Better

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Chris Alexander, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey guys

Just wanted to post from a ' newbie ' perspective.

I got T I think from going to a nightclub + issues with my ears. I cannot unblock them at all. Needless to say at the onset, it was hellish - severe anxiety and panic. It literally consumed me all day everyday.

4 weeks on and there are some days where it dissapears, some days where it is at the ' base ' level', which is easy to ignore and times throughout the day it gets a fair bit louder.

While I am still having anxiety when it gets louder, I am in general, better and actually fine when it is at its base level, I think I have just got used to that!

While I am a long way from being ' ok ' with this condition, I just wanted to let people know that if I can feel even 1% better in 4 weeks ( and I have an anxiety disorder as it is ) then you can too.

Some advice for new people -

*DO NOT look up google and read horror stories.
      *DO NOT sit and cover your ears every 10 mins
      *DO NOT allow your social, professional or personal life to be ruled by this - if you would normally do something before you had T, then keep doing it!

*DO ensure that you can get a good nights sleep - I have discovered an over the counter anti histamine which makes you drowsy - it gave me the best sleep ever last night - Phenergan. If you know you can get a good nights sleep, it will make things easier, trust me on this.

*DO make your friends, family and co-workers know about how you feel. Talking helps a lot so do not bottle it up. You will find that many people suffer from this ...2 people in my team do and I knew nothing about it!

I like to think that this T actually has its positive sides -

* I now no longer moan and bitch about little things that used to annoy me
      * It has made me appreciate the things I do have in my life - family and friends in particular

As a side note - The only thing stopping you from having a normal life is YOU, NOT the T.

While I do have my crap days and panicky days, In general things are better than 4 weeks ago - they will be for you too.

If I can do this then anyone can.

Chris

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bazz

Bazz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hey Chris I've had my T for about the same time now. It's freaky at first and does scare you but I've found to as time goes on we cope better. Have you visited anyone about your T. I got mine after a night clubbing. Woke up and taught it would go away but it's still here. Got my hearing checked and audiologist said it's perfect. Going to an Ent Tuesday so fingers crossed. I noticed at first my t changed pitch and everything then 2 weeks it was gettin better. Stupide went to a place with louduaic. Had ear plugs and took breaks but now it's a constant beep but saying that it's not as noticeable as earlier. I'm 24

3. nok3

nok3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/26/15
      In the same nightclub boat as you. It has been a week and getting through it pretty well because I'm confident with the right steps as you've mentioned, I'll reach success of recovery since its at a very mild stage. Good luck to you, friend.

4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Glad to hear you're in a better place.

• Like Like x 1
    5. TMLB

TMLB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting such a positive and hopeful note. Having T for the last 2 years I couldn't agree more with your points. I visited a good website early on from the Victoria (Australia) Tinnitus Association. And when I get a little down or don't feel like doing what I used to I remember what it said: Think of what you would be doing of you didn't have T, and then do it! I've actually become more involved in my community than I would have without the T and am sure that it will become just a noise in the background. I actually keep a list of positive notes/sayings that I look to when I need to be perked up -- some from legitimate sites, and others are just comments from other people with T who have made it through -- I find that helpful.

Thanks again,

T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey guys

Well mine in the last few days has changed - at first it was mainly in my left ear and occasionally my right but now seems to be straight down the middle! I get a loud beep sound and then it disappears to the base level then goes back to the constant beep. It can be very frustrating. The strange thing is that after going to sleep and waking up, it's gone for about the first half hour of the morning.

I think while I am slightly better, the underlying problem which needs to be addressed is the anxiety and constant fight or flight engagement. In a strange way, this for me, is the hardest of all battles. It's going to take a lot of time to deal with it and get to a place where I feel like I'm living life to the full again.

However we will all get there! Time heals everything..... Eventually!

7. Harold
      Cheerful

Harold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi! Chris Alexander.....I love your hopeful thinking , about dealing with your Tinnitus...Ive been living with high T since the Vietnam War , and yes there are better days and so on . There are those highs and lows and you get used to it .. Keeping busy with People and activities you have in your life , helps distract and you will look forward to the many better days going forward....You have the best attitude.... all the best to you!

• Like Like x 1
    8. pactribe

pactribe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, while wearing earplugs (SNR 19).

Chris, I have similar fluctuating tinnitus on a per-day basis:

1 day fully panned into my right ear
      Next day still panned into my right ear
      Next day suddenly panned all the way into my left ear
      Other days sometimes central but more often either in left or right ear

Do you, or anyone, know whether hearing damage in one ear would cause panning like this?

Or is it all just a mental state?

Thanks and stay strong.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey

I really do not know.

Most of the time I am aware of mine but although its changed pitched, its not louder.

I think this tinnitus battle is just a mental state. I have anxiety which itself can cause ringing but also makes me focus on it.

Once we win the anxiety battle and the fight or flight response, I am sure I wont care any more about the sounds than I do about the colour of my bedroom wall!

Anxiety is a really tough battle though but from what I am told and certainly from what I have experienced, it DOES get better with time..... slowly.

keep fighting the good fight!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thanks Danny - it is not easy at times but we all must keep fighting the good fight right!??

Be well

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure

Hey Harold, thank you for the kind words!! I really appreciate them.

It is not easy at times but I am getting there very slowly. When the anxiety attacks kick in, they are brutal!! They change your way of thinking completely. However I try to remain positive and keep fighting.

Keep fighting the good fight!!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris Alexander

Chris Alexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Hey! I completely agree. I think there are positives to having this condition that perhaps no one fully appreciates - until it gets to the point where we no longer care about it.

I have my own CBT list which I look out when im feeling really anxious - then realise I am thinking total rubbish! It helps, a bit but as I have said before anxiety is one tough adversary, which will make us stronger once we over come it!

stay safe my friend!
      Chris