50 Years of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by James Dollhausen, Feb 14, 2017.

1. James Dollhausen

James Dollhausen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infections and loud noise
      My tinnitus began in my right ear when I was about 19 years of age and I was a freshman in college. The cause was clearly several ear infections over the years as well as surgeries. The bones in my middle ear deteriorated to the point that they are almost none existent. So being that I'm 72 I've had it for about 53 years. I think it greatly contributed to my flunking out of college after my sophomore year because I had great difficulty concentrating on studying for exams and during exams. But I seemingly overcame that and went back to college a year later and ended up getting my degree. I also went on to get a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning. Throughout my adult life I have had several surgeries on that ear for a few Chalesteatoma’s, which is basically a benign tumor in my mastoid area. So my ear canal is larger than normal being that a significant amount of tissue has been removed through 4 surgeries. I believe that these surgeries added some noises.

The noises I experience in this ear include a loud humming noise, Like that from a machine shop, jet noises, millions of mosquitoes, flocks of Birds, roaring noises, rock bands, and voices like on a talk show and a circus barker. The volumes of these noises range from Very soft to Extremely Loud to the point where they just about drive me crazy. I Can't sleep without sleeping pills.

The left ear Cochlea was injured through a loud noise about 8 years ago which Latin the U stereocilia and now sound coming into that ear is loud and distorted so I can hardly understand voices in certain ranges especially women's voices and foreign voices. The tinnitus in this ear is mainly restricted to Mosquitoes, ringing and humming noises.

The only way I tolerate this cacophony is to ignore them because they override almost any noise except maybe when I go to a movie wearing both hearing aids.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Damn dude.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Welcome to the forum, James! You certainly have had your share of ear misfortunes! Were you able to pursue a career in Urban planning in spite of your ear problems? What about a social life? It's too bad that efforts to correct your ear problems often made your tinnitus worse over the years. Hope you can find support here.

4. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi James,

Welcome to the site!

Thanks for sharing your personal battle with tinnitus. Needless to say, you are one strong individual and we can all learn from the inner strength you displayed in dealing with your issues for 50+ years.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You are definitely one of the most senior 'T veterans' for having and surviving T that long. It is admirable and surely we can learn some of your insights in living with T long-term. You are welcome to stay around and share your insights. God bless.