A Brilliantly Worded Tinnitus Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ed209, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I found this post (from another forum which I'll post below) whilst looking through some of my old archives. I've been dwelling and reminiscing lately, anyway, this perfectly sums up my own experience with tinnitus. In fact, almost every success story I've ever heard follows the same principles. I really think this advice could help lots of you on here who keep reading mainly doom and gloom posts. I know some of you don't believe it, but I've been on this exact journey myself and think that some of you who are still suffering should read more stories like these. It perfectly echos what many others - including myself - have come to realise, and shows how you can reach normality again:

Hello everyone,

This is a little of my story and what I believe about tinnitus.

Four years ago, I woke up one morning with both ears ringing - both at different pitches and very loud. I made a visit to the doctors, was referred to the ENT and later had an MRI scan. I then developed hyperacusis after taking s herbal remedy for blocked Eustachian tubes. During this time of waiting and reading about tinnitus on the Internet and on many negative, disheartening forums and notice boards, I gradually became more fearful, anxious and depressed and truly believed that there was absolutely no way on this earth that I could live with the level of sound it was causing. A normal and happy life seemed completely out of the question and seemed like an impossibility.

I slowly changed from being a happily married mum of two wonderful teenage daughters to a completely depressed, anxious and suicidal wreck. I was unable to leave the house due to the frequent panic attacks and to the constant crying. I spent hours sitting and waiting for the tinnitus to go so that I could have my life back. I would constantly monitor the sound and check which rooms in the house it was better or worse in. Life was a nightmare. Every morning on waking, I would go straight into a panic attack. I lost three stone in weight and really did reach meltdown point. I lost my will to live and my fight against tinnitus.

However, at about ten months, my husband and our very good friends decided to take me away on holiday as part of an attempt to help me recover. I didn't want to go as was terrified of flying and I was still crying a lot at the time. Anyway, I went along.

During that holiday, I remember being in the car and forgetting about tinnitus for about 15 minutes. It was a massive turning point for me... I was amazed that I had actually managed to forget about it. I'm not saying that a holiday is the answer but I do know that it was getting out and about and doing things again that started to make a difference.

After that, the times of forgetting became more frequent and lasted longer. Later, I stopped reading about tinnitus and stopped trying to find a cure. Slowly but surely I started to live again.... I literally felt like I had come back from the dead. I stopped speaking in a monotone voice and started smiling again. Life all of a sudden was good and I was loving every minute of what I felt like was a second chance to live.

Nothing had really changed. I still had tinnitus - It seemed to be just as loud. The only thing that had changed was my perception or beliefs about tinnitus..

Over the past few years I have learned that tinnitus does not make me depressed or anxious. However, it's fair to say that depression and anxiety make tinnitus worse. In my experience, I have found that Tinnitus is largely a central nervous system problem and is exacerbated by negative emotions. Fear is the ultimate culprit which creates anxiety and depression. Our bodies go into fight or flight and our brains subsequently focus so intently on the noise because it is perceived as a threat. This results in the tinnitus sounding so much more 'intrusive' or louder.

In my personal experience, when I lost my fear of tinnitus, the anxiety left and so did the depression. The added bonus was that because my brain no longer perceived it as a threat, It stopped focusing on the noise which resulted in the tinnitus being much less intrusive and so it was so much quieter. I soon found that I was able to go for very long periods of time where I didn't even hear it.

For the majority of the time, tinnitus doesn't bother me. If I do hear it, it doesn't cause feelings of anxiety, panic or depression. However, if it ever does raise it's ugly head and becomes the monster that it once was, I know that in order to fight it, I need to focus on looking after my emotions. Positive beliefs have a powerful effect on our bodies and tinnitus is definitely a problem which is conquered in this way. Tinnitus doesn't stick a chance of ruining our lives when we are not fearful of it. If tinnitus doesn't cause us fear or depression and doesnt bother us, then it's as good as if its gone - think about it. :)

If you are reading this and are at your wits end, I want to let you know that things can and do improve massively. My life is as good now with tinnitus as it was before tinnitus. Take one day at a time. It just takes a little time and a different way of thinking.

Love to you all,
      God bless,
      Aly
      xx

• Like x 10
      • Winner x 3
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Helpful x 2
      • Hug x 1
    2. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Loved that message.

Thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I actually read that success story somewhere before and the 'not noticing T for 15 minutes' part really stuck with me. It's the very small things we need to be thankful for, be it an hour, a minute, a second. The common theme with this and almost all success stories I've read is positivity.

• Like Like x 1
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I too lose my tinnitus for periods of time...especially outside with ambient noise around me.
      On balance, I am doing better too...each month seems to get better...somewhat following the track of Aly.
      I am one month shy of a year now from that day my ears out of the blue started ringing.

Ed, thanks for posting that. You and I are kindred spirits and I think about you and your post a while back about your personal challenges.
      I hope you are feeling better and giving it hell each day. If not, buy a Ducati and ride the wheels off of it. :)

Kind Regards.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'm no better at all, so just trying to spread some positive vibes around the place. Too much negative energy does nobody any favours.

Tinnitus is just another bump on the road, and mine is now in the rear view mirror and I hope it stays that way. My current problems are head on, so it's time to go to war again. It's utterly depressing, but that's life; it smacks the shit out of you from time to time.

I'd add that it's taken me nearly two years to turn a corner on this whole tinnitus thing. Prior to that I had a milder version for well over ten years that never bothered me at all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I preach the very same message 100% to this board. If people, don't take my advice..take hers.... It's all about mind over matters and it does work :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I know it does fishbone; I've been saying this for ages. Perception, and the state of your mental health is everything in this game. Breaking the cycle and getting back to a healthier way of thinking is the way to overcoming tinnitus.

Thanks for helping out with my other issues, I don't forget stuff like that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm here to help. I have almost 30 years experience with tinnitus and it feels good to guide those , that need support. I wish this board and people like myself were able to help me , when i first got tinnitus in late 88-89...

You get, what you give in life. Trust me, this is a fact and i help and god has given me , more than i could have ever imagined :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Like you fishbone I’m also a tinnitus veteran and wish Tinnitus Talk was around 20 years ago. The strangest thing that I noticed back then and now in this forum. Some people tried their best to derail the good help and positive message that he and others were putting across, by arguing and promoting negativity at every opportunity.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Michael, this is the biggest problem with most support forums, so I totally agree. Positives are hard to come by and when they do they are often dismissed as 'mild tinnitus', or something else. I understand the mind of someone who is severely struggling so I can see what it happens, but it doesn't help the majority who need support.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I totally understand people being upset with tinnitus, but being negative and rude to people that come here to help is just no acceptable. I go through what all go through here and mine is at its worst level of annoyance and that will not change.

Life and experience is our best teacher. Some folks might have had an awesome life and its been smooth sailing and tinnitus has come along and derailed them. This is totally understandable and being upset is understandable. Experience is key and what we take from it is even more important. If we constantly fight things in life, then we are not at peace. Not fighting and coping is the key. Accepting is key, i am not a monk or anything but buddhism and their flow of life and accepting is what I try to live by. I am christian by faith , but add lots of buddhism stuff into my daily life.

Mindfulness is one thing that helps alot as well. I am not asking people to change their religion, no ..Not at all...just asking people to stop fighting their issues, fighting will never help. If someone wants to fight with me on this board, thats ok. It's those people that want someone to help them, not me. I don't come here seeking advice on tinnitus, I come here out of my goodwill to help and give advice to those that suffer and want some advice on what to do.

It's all about giving and then you get back. I was at a jewelry store today and this gal i know desperately wanted to make a sale. I really had no intention of buying anything, but i bought a watch just so she can have a sale and possibly get a pay raise due to the sale.

It's all about paying it forward in life. Always remember that, being mean and rude will not take you far in life. Karma does exist....

Tinnitus is a life long battle and we need to be prepared and be as positive as possible, yes that seems kinda funny. How can one be positive, when they have an electric generator in their head. Read some of my posts where, i share how i am and what goes on.

No matter, how bad you have it, you can still try to be positive. Being angry and being negative just makes your tinnitus worst. It raises the level of the tinnitus..so what is the point?

• Like Like x 1
    12. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Nice post. Thanks!

Today, I finally didn't notice my T for hours at a time. -- What's even more remarkable is that it has been very cold out (in the 20s) so I can't say that having the windows open, etc is the reason.

I notice it again now but am so grateful that I had a break from Mr T for hours today rather than my usual 30 to 60 minute break! :)

• Like Like x 2
    13. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks John, I'm really glad to hear of your time of relief today. I'm not having a great period at the moment; but I'm hopeful tomorrow will be better, God willing. Good luck!

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Sure Paul. Mine is back too this evening too so you are not alone!

I should also note that I have increased my working out and running and am getting into a rhythm with that too. -- My T is pretty loud when I am walking out of the fitness center but that is because my blood pressure is pretty high from the incline running I do at the end of my routine.

I'm trying to eat healthy too but do cheat with occasional pizza, tacos, chips, etc. :)

15. colinp

colinp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection
      Nice one guys does cold virus make it worst

16. Kah Povi

Kah Povi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics and stress
      I'm so grateful for this thread. I've had some remarkably quiet days and then periods when the tinnitus seems unbearable. I believe that dealing with tinnitus in the way that Aly wrote about and in the way that many wise people on these forums have mentioned is ultimately a path that's about a lot more than T -- it's also about trying to let go of fear and anxiety. I have wanted to write a success story for others to read but don't feel quite qualified to do so -- yet. On the other hand, tinnitus has not stopped me from doing what's important to me, including teaching, writing, meditating, playing sports, listening to music, being in a relationship, traveling and having great friendships. So I suppose that is a success story. My advice to myself and others is to find your own path out of stress as much as possible and don't berate yourself for not being perfect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1