A New Quiet Morse Code Type Tinnitus Tone — Possibly Due to Fluid in My Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jun 12, 2020.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I got a new tone in my left ear only, a couple weeks ago. A very silent morse code-like moderate frequency tone. Now I am beginning to experience a second lower frequency tone, in the same ear.

I have a constant feeling that my left ear is wet. Like there is fluid inside it. I think this may be due to allergies. I have had fluid in my ear before around this time a year, I think this might be what's causing these new tones.

My question is.. Is there a way I can drain it out naturally? I though about going to an ENT, but I think the waiting time for appointment is long. They may not even want to schedule me right now because of coronavirus.

I REALLY hope draining my ears will make the tones go away because I was finally comfortable with being in total silence´(took me about 2½-3 years) but not anymore. Now I have to have masking going on constantly, again.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I had the morse code for years as well. It comes and goes.

About three years ago my right ear literally filled up one evening during a particularly bad allergy session with lots of sneezing etc. It did resolve somewhat to a more comfortable level. Doctor diagnosed ETD.

In terms of natural ear drainage after fullness feeling, you probably have a few options:

1. Wait and see if it drains by itself. They sometimes do.
      2. Try and help the drainage by setting up menthol crystals in hot water in the bathroom sink. Towel on head and inhale (even chewing a bit of gum here can help encourage the tubes to open and hopefully assist drainage)
      3. Try a week or two of standard does antihistamines (obviously not so "natural" but personally I found this helped me the most)
      4. GP prescribed a steroid nose spray (this was a quick visit to doc that didn't involve a long wait for the ENT clinic). I only tried the spray a couple of times because to be honest, by then the fullness feeling had subsided. Re the spray technique it's important to get it right when ETD might be indicated. There was an article online (sorry I can't find it now) that related to how to position the spray in this instance (essentially it's about targeting the dose of spray toward the eustachian tube). Obviously a bit of Google search should help. BTW - doctor didn't advise me on this technique so I suppose he wasn't aware.

Good luck with it

• Like Like x 2
    3. Tatsopa

Tatsopa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (Onset) 05/2020 (Worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      That's exactly the sensation I have since my recent worsening. When I'm waking up I can also say that my ears canals ARE actually wet ; concerning the "beyond eardrum" zone, even if I can feel some kind of liquid my ENT keep telling "No, no liquid here"...

There's somehow something weird with the new tone that came with this new condition (Morse-like tone). I can actually make this tone stop by plugging my fingers into my ears. Yelling, at the contrary, make it louder. I think some pression mecanism or similar is involved somewhere...

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @TheDanishGirl
      I’m experiencing the same thing.
      I am getting over a head cold and my ear started vibrating and roaring after I’d wake up.
      Took me back to the beginning when I first got tinnitus.
      I’ve seen two GPS and they have confirmed fluid in the ear.
      I made an appointment with an ENT for the 24th, but I’m hoping it has resolved by then.
      I get strange sensations around my outer ear and definitely feel like there is fluid in there.
      The roaring and vibration seem to have resolved (maybe the fluid is draining), and I’ve got a vibration that feels and sounds like light sabres!
      This has been on and off since Monday. I’m hoping it will just leave for good.
      If I didn’t have tinnitus I’d just wait for this to clear and probably not stress. It’s just having tinnitus that makes you always stress about new noises and sensations....
      Sleeping sitting up has really helped.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's absolutely awful that morse code-ish tone, isn't it? I mean, I'm thankful that it's pretty quiet, but it's a much worse tinnitus imo, then my normal tinnitus which is more high frequency white noise-ish like.

I was thinking tp just wait it out, but it's been 2-3 weeks and it hasn't gotten better.

I'll try with gum and/or menthol crystal. I(f that doesn't work I'll maybe go for the over-the-counter antihistamines, although I'm a little nervous of the side effects, but what's the alternative anyway...

Thanks for the tips buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear that, Mine doesnt stop by plugging ears, but I have another intermittent low frequency (brown noise) buzzing tone that does. That tone can be both heard and felt, and putting a finger in my left ear (where the tone is at) stops it... the same happens if I listen to a brown noise masker on YouTube. It is luckily intermittent and only present maybe 15-20% of the time. It's awful that one, and impossible to habituate to, I've found (had it about 2½ years now - normal tinnitus for a little over 3 years).

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear that :/ It really does take one back... well, for me, it doesn't create the same intense anxiety as when my tinnitus started because it's lower in volume, but it does make my anxiety go up, and remind me a bit of the early days.

I also have a strange sensation in my left ear. It's not just a wetness feeling even though that is the most prominent feeling. My left ear is also where I have my intermittent brown noise buzzing tone. Generally my left ear is the most effected tinnitus/hyperacusis-wise. My tinnitus and hyperacusis is no doubt mainly noise-induced (headphones), but their must be some other reason as to why my left ear is most effected. If it was only dues to headphones, both my ears would be equally effected I believe. I do have chronic sinus issues... maybe that's part of the reason.

I hope it clears up for both you and me hon :) Sleeping sitting up sounds impossible... how do you do that? :D

8. Tatsopa

Tatsopa Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (Onset) 05/2020 (Worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      You don't, as just "sleeping" may be an issue sometimes ;). But I found that digestion , in my case (acid reflux), has some effect on the intensity of that phenomena. Eating "light", earlier than I used to, and inhaling steam with eucalyptus just before going to sleep has helped to reduce a bit the sensation.

9. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Actually, I have a very comfy couch and have become accustomed to sleeping on it. It's a corner lounge and I place a pillow behind my back and one of those triangle ones for my neck.
      My ear is still not right so I'm not risking laying down for a sleep!
      I do think sinus issues must play a part. My tinnitus was usually heard mostly in my head, and I have a very different mild tone in each of my ears.
      I was very anxious last night about this vibrating sensation and noise that I took a tablet of Oxazepam.
      Within around 15 minutes, the vibration stopped. I'm sure it's mechanical now and a muscle relaxant gives me relief.
      If only I could take Oxazepam every night!
      I'm on edge I must admit, hoping it doesn't return.....
      I'm on a course of antibiotics, but just hoping time helps correct the issue in my middle ear.

I hope your's resolves soon, I think these more mechanical sounds are likely to correct themselves once the underlying issue is sorted.

• Hug Hug x 2