AC/DC

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jeannie, Mar 8, 2016.

1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I read where the band had to cancel all of there shows because the lead singers doctor told him he would probably lose complete hearing loss. Didn't say if he had tinnitus or not though....

2. John G

John G Member

3. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      He is on the highway to hell...

• Like x 2
      • Genius x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Funny x 1
      • Winner x 1
    4. xmierce

xmierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
    5. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      lol, way to spread awareness about the severity of this condition. His Eardrum bursted, blood came out. He was playing in ACDC and hes like "you forget about it after a week". Well, why would anyone worry about this if the price is seemingly just one week of suffering.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      @John Meyers I was just thinking about your post in the past regarding getting T from an AC/DC concert.
      I wonder if Mr. Johnson will ever perform again. NIHL only accumulates. Although he is showing quite a cavalier attitude towards it all.

8. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Yes, Brian Johnson has always been optimistic and happy-going (especially considering he has probably had T for over 30 years and would still suck it up and do those crazy loud shows).

I was sad to hear this news but have to admit that it is validating and today I feel a little bit more like a true rock fan (even though I wish it was under different circumstances!).. :)

9. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

The only problem I see with all those "rock star" Tinnitus stories is that we regular people need to get back to our regular jobs and deal with spreadsheets, meetings, etc. I guess my job demands a little more concentration than rocking on stage.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It said doubtful he will perform again,they was getting another singer to fill in for him...

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Lazypugfilms

Lazypugfilms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know the singer for the black eye peas also has ear ringing. I wonder if a lot of musicians develope it because of loud concerts, music mixing, etc

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      occupational hazard for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I don't care if he ever performs again. I just hope he never makes another ignorant statement like "“You forget about it after a week. A lot of people suffer from it.”

• Agree Agree x 10
    14. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Yeah, but they suffer it differently. Plenty of people suffer it at a level that doesn't compel them to worry about it.

15. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Honestly, tinnitus seems like the cost of doing business for many musicians. My bandmate has it, and he has no problems with it whatsoever. He even pokes fun at me for being so careful with my ears, so I make fun of his hearing loss. It is actually funny, I cover my ears and say he is too loud and he shouts "WHAT?" back at me. This is all done in jest of course.

I am on another forum for bass players and made a thread asking about what people there do for tinnitus. Within a few hours I had many responses. Many of them have severe chronic tinnitus and have no problems. They do not hear it over the music, so it is not a concern for them.

Link to that thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/tinnitus-who-has-it-for-how-long-and-how-do-you-cope.1202831/

I also do not see Brian Johnson as the type of person to wear earplugs, avoid stimulants, avoid alcohol, and make sure that he gets enough sleep to make sure his hearing stays sharp. I am sure his case is one of extreme abuse over many years while being extremely reckless. However, I am no AC/DC buff and I have no idea how Johnson actually lived his life.

But concerning the "you forget about it in just a week..." comment, There are some people out there where tinnitus is simply not a concern for them. My grandfather has horribly loud tinnitus, the only thing he does not hear it over are his guns or power tools. A friend around my age has loud tinnitus as well and has no grievances over it. Many people in my life that enjoy loud music have had tinnitus for years and it has never been a concern for them. I know that many people on here suffer everyday with this, so it does seem crazy for people to have severe damage to their ears and continue on normally. But, I am friends with these people so I know it is possible

That being said, I am not trying to "cheapen" anyone's personal struggles. I am just illustrating that it is different for everyone and continuing a normal life, a loud life even, is possible. But, like Brian Johnson has shown us (once again I am just assuming he has not protected his hearing), by not taking the right precautions with your hearing, no amount of positive attitude will save your ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just don't understand this, but I've seen the same thing. I was always someone sensitive to noises, loud noises, or any noise while I was sleeping was bothersome, I never understood people that wanted the tv on all the time for background noise as I would prefer silence. I'm guessing the people that like having background noise all the time are less bothered by tinnitus. For me, noise is something my brain automatically fixates on, especially when I'm stressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I remember reading that Brian said that his tinnitus was because of his hobby racing cars. That's also when his eardrum burst after he forgot to put his plugs in. "Music had nothing to do with it", as he said it.
      I still think that playing in AC/DC for 30 years must have had some effect on his hearing, but acknowledging that would mean taking responsibility for all those crazy decibel levels the audiences were subjected to all those years and the hearing loss and tinnitus that went along with that. Most humans would rather block out that thought.

The problem with loud music is that some people are going to be okay (with or without tinnitus) and a minority gets (really bad) tinnitus and is devastated. You don't know in which group you are until it's too late. Then, try to get the majority to consider the (potential) problems of a minority... It's nearly impossible, whatever the issue may be...

• Agree Agree x 5
    18. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Brian Johnson has released an interesting statement in which he talks about the possibility of treatment for his hearing loss without being specific as to the treatment or doctors involved. Will be interesting to see down the road if he reports any success. Here are excerpts - I have highlighted a few interesting bits - with a link to the full statement below.

Link to article with full statement: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-brian-johnson-departure-statement/

20. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Holy shit. He must have massive hearing loss. Having trouble hearing stacks and stacks of Marshalls? Good god.

21. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I believe he has Tinnitus and Hyperacusis according to the article I read so you won't be seeing him perform anytime soon.As for treatment I'd say that's just ignorance on Bryan's part as he's new to this,he'll soon realise how little can be done.

• Like Like x 1
    22. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I'm agreed with Bill on this one. When I got a hearing test done about 3-4 years ago, I remember thinking, I can beat this, I will get better, if I try really hard I can improve my hearing and speech recognition. Then I got on the internet and started reading and wow was I wrong.

At the same time, you have those few people out there with success stories about getting their ears injected with stem cells and showing improvement. Maybe he knows something we don't. I'm sure he has lots of money and money talks. I would love to see him come back with 100 percent hearing and rocking again, and it would be nice if he posted on this forum how he did it.I would also love to send him an email and see what he is thinking.

If I were him, I would be heading right to Stanford or Harvard with a huge check in my hand and telling them they have 3 months to find me a cure. I'm willing to bet that if he is willing to take a huge risk, they have the knowledge right now to get some of his hearing back and that its just not ready for mass production yet. Its been 4 years since those Gerbil's in the UK got some their hearing back.

Either that or he could just buy Genvec in cash and use their latest super secret formula they just published last month.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah,he says he's going to continue medical treatment.so we will see.....

• Like Like x 1
    24. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I've seen them 3 times. Twice in the 80's which I vaguely remember the volume, but the last time was in Nashville on the last tour at Bridgestone and it was SO LOUD that I literally did not think I would ever recover any hearing.
      And I should preface this by saying I play loud Rock music and have since 1986. I own several Marshall Plexi amps (the old ones) and even I was utterly
      stupified by how loud AC/DC was that night.
      It is
      very possible that show is the main reason I have T right now.

To hear Brian popped his eardrums is not surprising at all. There is literally no hearing protection strong enough to prevent the volume those guys played at that night.

25. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ozzy Osbourne has tinnitus also.....lots of love glynis

26. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Brian's treatment is going to look something like this..... image.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      Tinnitus is the black lung of the music industry.
      Most musicians that have been around for more than a minute have it.
      There is a painful story about Jeff Beck plugging into the wrong amplifier that always comes to mind..

28. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I have those exact ones..
      Eventually switched to these (green ones) for comfort..
      503872_xl.jpg

29. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Everyone seems to recommend these,are they really that good?Or do you just wear them to gigs or do you have H?I have two pairs that seem to be doing the job,nearly deaf while wearing them.

30. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      For me they are way better than the ones you buy at Lowes etc. Better fitting, better freq range cut and much less head-pinch sensation. I can forget I'm wearing them.
      I wear them at shows. If we play a gig I typically just wear Radians in-ear on stage.
      Even when I didn't have T/H as such I noticed string ear-fatigue after 5 or 10 minutes of loud live music. It just stopped sounding good and sounded like shrill mush. With these muffs the music sounds good all night and I leave with relatively fresh ears.
      Ear fatigue is a real cue that whatever you're listening to is too loud and is not doing great things for your ears.

I saw Alice Cooper this past Monday night. I only noticed one other person in the room wearing muffs. There was a nod and we walked on...