Acoustic Shock from Loud Music via In-Ear Monitors — 2 Months In

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lorca, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Lorca

Lorca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock
      Hello everyone,

I’m so thankful that this resource exists. It has been both terrifying and hopeful to read everyone's journeys.

My story starts 2 months ago during quarantine with my partner. I woke up at 8 am for work, settled at my desk and decided to play some high res music via my DAC and In-Ear Monitors. My usual DAC amp was in the car so I got my other one in the living room. I plugged it in and pressed play... My ears were blown away and I quickly pulled out the ear phones.

In my quarantine daze I had forgotten to lower the volume and did not realise Tidal music app forces max volume as default. I soon realised that this was life changing mistake. My ears were ringing for the first time in my life.

I tried to access Prednisone but wasn’t able to until we were released from quarantine 13 days later. The doctor ended up giving me a very low dose 25 mg dose for 5 days. I wish I knew better and took a higher dose. I felt very little benefit for this over the week.

My high pitched tinnitus (single tone) changed very little over the last few months, possibly going down but barely noticeable progress. I can only notice it in my bedroom and whilst watching television, mildly reactive to television.

Symptoms so far:
      • Fullness that comes and goes
      • Tense back and necks brought on by exposure to sounds e.g., shopping, walking on the street
      • Feeling ear open and then wet briefly
      • Shaking and mild panic attacks
      • Pressure on forehead
      • Sudden increase in eye floaters
      • Driving is particularly overwhelming at times
      • Light sensitivity
      • Horribly broken sleep with mild panic attacks
      • Trembling fingers/hands
      I can still listen to music and television at mild volumes without much of a problem, cutlery is mildly triggering my tense back and neck.

I’ve been avoiding obvious loud sounds but not overprotecting. Using earmuffs when vacuuming and using blender etc.

I just want to hear that these symptoms might improve over time. The tinnitus is the least of my problems I feel, I’m more concerned about increasing sound sensitivity and associated flight/flight response.

Would anyone recommend a second course of steroids? A bit late I know.

I’m currently taking the following supplements.
      • NAC
      • Fish oil
      • Lion’s Mane
      • Eye vitamins
      • Magnesium
      • Ginseng
      • Regular neck and back massages
      • Magnesium baths
      Thanks in advance,
      Jason

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Sorry to hear of your troubles. Un/fortunately, everything you are experiencing is a normal result of acoustic shock. The problem is we don’t really understand what acoustic shock is.

The most definitive model is this paper. I suggest you give it a good read. Once you’ve read it, read it again, and again. The more times you read it, the more you will understand what is going on and things will begin to make sense, kind of.

There really isn’t much you can do besides protecting your ears. Magnesium (400 mg BID) and B2 (200 mg BID) should help a bit. Some people have found success in helping their hyperacusis by using going on a strict, low histamine diet. It might be something worth considering.

Good luck in the meantime.

3. Traumasux

Traumasux Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fireworks
      @Lorca, hello, how are you doing now?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorca

Lorca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock
      Thanks for asking. It’s been a wild ride. The last 5 months is a bit of a blur. I’m still dealing with unchanged tinnitus but the sound sensitivity has resolved itself for the most part. I was dealing with very concerning facial tension, dizziness, night terrors, the list goes on. I’m now able to do everything as before, with earplugs handy when sirens go by etc. I’m still in a bit of disbelief that a 1 second mistake can have such horribly consequences. I have since heard of many others having this accident and they are unharmed.

How are you doing?

• Like Like x 1
    5. num20pencil
      Fine

num20pencil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds plugged into a computer and volume at max
      Hi Lorca, I got tinnitus from loud music with earbuds by accident and later got acoustic trauma. It's awful because I can't go to the movies or even the mall anymore, even with earplugs on.

• Hug Hug x 2