Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Travellingteen, May 5, 2018.

1. Travellingteen

Travellingteen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8th April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction/noise trauma
      Hi Everyone,
      I am an 18 year old from the UK who is currently travelling around Asia.
      My trouble started a month ago when I was in Phuket, and ever since then I have been very worried about what is going on with my ear.
      Firstly I did listen to some loud music for one night, and admittedly it was very loud, however that ringing(in my right ear)only lasted for 3-4 days, and was only noticeable when it was dead quiet. Fortunately it seemed to somewhat subside for the two weeks. However it has again returned, mildly.

I have been to two ENT’s and two doctors, as it is worrisome for someone of my age. I originally had a bulging ear drum due to what I was told was Eustachian tube dysfunction (10th April). And this was causing me to have muffled hearing which amplified the ringing. I seem to be over the worst of the ETD And in accordance my ringing seems to have been dropping lower also. And in the last few days of relaxing it has been hardly noticeable even when in a quiet room and earplugs in. However sometimes this is not the case. Occasionally it seems to increase, late at night after a drink or early in the morning. This is still at a low level and can be masked fairy easily. However it is frustrating.

I have pretty much ruled out acoustic trauma as I have no hearing loss as per the audiology report. And I believe it is due to ETD, also my slightly deviated septum. Making it tough to equalise pressure.
      Two questions:
      1) is it likely to fade more if i protect myself from loud noises from now on?
      2) and once the ETD fully clears is it likely my hearing will return to normal? With no Tinnitus. Also the ENT suspects a buildup of pressure in the middle ear?!

(Tinnitus sounds like a shower noise)
      Sorry for the long message, however this forum has been really helpful in a tough time. Thanks in advance for you’re responses.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Travellingteen

Travellingteen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8th April 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction/noise trauma
      My right ear also randomly makes a clicking noise, even when I’m not swallowing.

3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Travellingteen
      Sorry that no one has responded to your post from a couple of weeks ago.
      Firstly, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with tinnitus.
      It is very mild, you will be fine. I consider mine mild-ish and I can easily hear it with ear plugs in.
      You have learnt a lesson early in life which will mean you will take care of your hearing from here on in. Protect your ears from loud noise, be careful with your headphone use and you will be fine.
      It is certainly possible that your tinnitus is related to your ETD and the ear issues you have going on. I think you will be fine when these problems resolve.
      Don't stress and don't listen for it. Best advice ever, trust me.
      Also, the clicking in your ear could be related to your ETD. Give it time to resolve.
      All the best,
      Sam.