ADVICE on SAFE Antibiotics, Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by Path Maker, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Hi :)

If I had time to research through all the threads like the hyper-reader I am, I would.

But I have a partially-erupted wisdom tooth and the gums around it get infected/inflamed every other year or so, and I usually wait it out and use ibuprofen for the pain.

This time, I am waiting it out without the ibuprofen (I'm trying to avoid all meds because of the tinnitus).

However, I may have to go to a clinic tonight to get something to kill this infection, since it's been four days now and not really resolving.

CAN YOU ALL PLEASE HELP ME, by letting me know, WHAT ANTIBIOTICS HAVE YOU SAFELY TAKEN, and IF ANYONE HAS SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE LEAST-LIKELY ANTIBIOTIC(S) TO CAUSE/WORSEN TINNITUS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! APPRECIATED!! :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've been prescribed Clindamycin HCl (CLEOCIN) 150 mg recently. I researched it and didn't find anything too scary about it.

No need to scream...

3. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      polymyxin B, erythromycin, vancomycin and neomycin are the ones you need to avoid, others are OK

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
    5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Lysine Clonixinate to reduce pain, inflammation, etc did wonders for me.

It's safe for the ears... and after I took it I experienced a few days of low tinnitus.

Not sure if there is a connection.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      • Like Like x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Path Maker I'd avoid the fluroquinolone drugs as well, that's Cipro and Levaquin.

Personally I always wait a full seven days before starting antibiotics, but I am not a doctor. That strategy has kept me almost ABx free for some years...

• Like Like x 1
    8. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Totally agree. Cipro is what started the spike of my tinnitus after 10 years of blissful habituation. That said, each person reacts differently. Prior to my incident with Cipro, I'd taken antibiotics many times with no problems. I think I'm a good case for why not to over prescribe antibiotics to someone.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Thanks @linearb and @racerfish

I try to stay away from antibiotics too! It's been years since I last had them. And, I'm glad I waited overnight because I think I've turned a corner and I'll continue to wait it out.

I'm glad for any continuing advice on this thread, though, as I'm going to do more research and prepare a list in case I ever need to make this decision quickly or under duress.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. _Chris

_Chris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication?
      Given that it is nearly impossible to completely avoid antibiotics in the modern world... I wonder if there is there anything that a person might do to at least mitigate the possibility of auditory / nervous system side effects while taking them, such as taking antioxidants (NAC, maybe) at the same time?

Anyone have any ideas or experiences?

11. Siskiy

Siskiy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had an infection recently from an ingrown hair (nasty I know). I tried topical antibiotic cream but it didn’t completely get rid of it and now it’s getting worse again. I thought maybe I could just wait it out but I guess not. I think I’m going to be forced to take oral antibiotics.

My tinnitus made me very suicidal when it first arrived so it’s very serious to me to avoid it worsening because it may literally kill me. To understand the severity of the situation. So are there any antibiotics that are safe for tinnitus? And if not, can it worsen it permanently or is it only while you are taking them? Thank you anyone who answers this, it’s very important to me.

EDIT: I posted this as a new thread, no idea how it ended up here??

12. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      This is such an important thread. I had no idea antibiotics were so dangerous.

I took cipro on a regimen at least once a year and never had issues with my tinnitus... But now I'm going to avoid swimming so I don't get eye infections that require treatment. Can't even surf anymore, what's the point of living in California :(

13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Stay hydrated.
      Be kind to your kidneys.
      Don't take more than one ototoxic drug.
      Use NAC.

2 year old post and user but may as well reply for other readers since the thread is already necro'd.

14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      You can get waterproof earplugs that will keep water out of your ears. Many people who get swimmers ear use them and it works effectively. There is no reason to stop surfing when you can use ear plugs to block out water!

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-AquaBl...537991605&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+earplugs

• Useful Useful x 1