After Months of Searching for a Sound in the House...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ears78, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Ears78

Ears78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For the past 6 months or so, I've thought that there might be a valve open or an eletrical issue in my walls. Most nights around 2-3 am, I would wake up with what sounded like a seashell or valve opening and closing. It is a low pitch drone that last from 10 seconds to 50 seconds, stops sharply to total silence, then turns back on again seconds later. After a few weeks of turning of the electricity and the furnace and listening closely into the walls, I noticed that the sound never had grew louder as I wandered the house, never centered on a particular spot, and always stayed at the same volume.

One day a few weeks ago, I noticed that when I sat up it completely disappeared. When I lay back down it came back. I had to get on my hands and knees and put my ears to the radio to see if this was actually true. Is the sound in my head? No one else in my house can hear it, so I think it is.

It is in my left ear and it starts every night at 2-3 am and doesn't stop until I decide to get up. I also grind my teeth and lock my jaw very, very, very regularly, and I think that must have something to do with it. But, I'm concerned it could be something more severe. I have been very stressed for the past year with work, and I imagine this must contribute to it.

My doctor wants me to see an audiologist and get an MRI, and I will do those things.

Does anyone else experience a low hum in one ear only when they are sleeping?

Thanks.

2. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Absolutely. I get it randomly throughout the day, but it's the worst right at bedtime.

I've never been able to figure it out. I've had it for months, but I'm now a lot more used to it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ears78

Ears78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I see you have allergies listed as a cause, and with allergies in the air in the northern Mountain West, I have to wonder if the sinus pressure contributes to the low humming sound.