Alternatives to Antibiotics/PPIs for Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jmath, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jmath

jmath Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I was recently prescribed antibiotics to rid Helicobacter pylori bacteria from my gut - Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin, and also a PPI - Omeprazole or Nexium.

Just wondering if anyone else has had Helicobacter pylori and successfully treated it without antibiotics/PPIs?

I'm not too concerned about Amoxicillin as I think that's generally safe but I'm a bit apprehensive about taking Clarithromycin and Omeprazole/Nexium.

I've had tinnitus for over a year now and definitely do not want to make it any worse.

If there's no alternatives and I have to roll the dice, are there any recommenced supplements to take at the same time as the prescribed treatment that may reduce the drug's ototoxicity?

2. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      Yes, I took the exact same drugs and that got rid of my Helicobacter pylori. My tinnitus started less than a month later, I don't know if they are connected or not.

3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      If you had no other events during that timeframe, then that probably did it.

4. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      Well, I had a lot of sleep issues. Very stressed out due to the bacteria and cervical issues.

5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Can stress really cause tinnitus? If so, how the hell do you fix that or determine it?

6. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Studies have shown protection from oxidative stress damage to the inner ear, including drug ototoxicity, from ACE + Magnesium, NAC and NAC + Glycine.

The first are the standard antioxidants. The latter two increase Glutathione which is difficult to increase directly.

I just had an accidental very loud exposure in a store. I am going with NAC + Glycine for now since at my age Glutathione is likely low anyhow.

George

7. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress can increase tinnitus and may prevent it from getting better, same with our emotions. Stress can also cause a variety of health problems. A study I saw states that tinnitus is 2.5 times more likely in people who are under long term stress. There are many possible explanations; increased cortisol, increased blood pressure, lack of sleep and depleted antioxidants and oxidative stress damage to name a few.

What can be done about it? Proper sleep, eating right, targeted supplementation if appropriate, relaxation techniques, mind body work, exercise, etc.

George

• Like Like x 1
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I can control my food, supplements and exercise, but not sleep. Hopefully fixing the rest will improve the sleep.

9. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I don’t take my Magnesium, I wake up in the middle of the night restless. I take Magnesium and fall right back to sleep until my alarm. It’s all interrelated.

George

• Like Like x 1
    10. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It’s hard to be motivated when my ears buzz/ring/change tones all day lol but I guess I need to suck it up.

11. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is hard to make progress and be positive when we are suffering but that’s all we have. Doing our research, getting calmed down, getting our heads right and making ourselves as healthy as possible is all we have.

George

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Yes I had H. pylori (with symptoms) and I got acupuncture and took an herbal formula the acupuncturist gave me. I don’t remember exactly because this was like five years ago but I think it took about three or four acupuncture treatments and maybe a month or so on the herbs and my symptoms were gone completely.

I just realized this original post was from February so I’m guessing the poster already made a decision regarding what to take for H. pylori.

S