Am I Hallucinating? Am I Going Crazy? It Sounds External but Nobody Else Can Hear It

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sadgirl17, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Sadgirl17

Sadgirl17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly temporary due to earwax
      This doesn't sound like regular tinnitus. It sounds like a vibrating drone from outside. Like a generator or a leaf blower machine. It's non stop I've been hearing it constantly for the last few days.

It doesn't sound like it's coming from my ear at all, it sounds like it's coming from outside me, outside the window.

I can't mask it or make it stop and I'm losing sleep. Please, is there a chance it will go away?

I've more or less already habituated to the high pitched ringing in my ears but this is unbearable. Please help me

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sadgirl17

Sadgirl17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please? Anybody...

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I have empathy of your suffering. But do remember that your T is quite new and so i may fade. At this early stage of T a new sufferer will usually be very scared and anxious about the future and whether they are alone with the condition. T is undesirable but livable, even long termed. But at the new stage, a sufferer usually falls trap into thinking life with T is not acceptable nor livable, therefore giving rise to so much anxiety and stress as well as sleeplessness. That will change gradually over time. You are now functioning with the limbic nervous system which functions in fight or flight mode, and everything about T feels so much worse than it is. Over time you normal parasympathetic nervous system will take over and things will be easier to handle.

If you read the success stories, you will find so many different types and causes of T and yet people get better in due time. Most people take some time to get better. If they have a good positive attitude as well as some effective strategies or treatments, they will recover even faster. So don't panic. Give it time. Learn from others what work for them and apply what you learn. Things will definitely get better.

Your perception about T will likely change over time like most of the recovered member do. I suffered and feared my ultra high pitch T (and hyperacusis too) a few years back and I was in a mess. But now I don't give a dime about T high or low. My body is hardened to this ringing and its tyranny over me is truly over. I live a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. Don't panic and don't lose hope. Try to get an ENT to look at your ears. Take care & God bless.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sadgirl17

Sadgirl17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. I apparently have wax in my right ear so I'm hoping that once that's cleared up it will go but HOPEFULLY it will go regardless. I honestly don't mind tinnitus as long as it's not this horrible drone. It's LITERALLY unmaskable. The sound is awful it's this low tense bass sound and I hate it. God I just want it to stop.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Try these sound sites to see if you can find anything which can help masking it:

TT's excellent audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or search youtube with words like hum or humming masking sounds, low plane sounds such as this one (and treat it as a long plane flight while we doze off during the flight, lol):
      easyJet presents ‘Jet Sounds’

The objective of masking is not necessarily to totally overpower T. Some people set the masking volume slightly lower than T so that the ears will get used to or harden to this T sound over time and won't be so irritated by its presence. But hopefully your T will fade back to more reasonable level. Take good care. God bless.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sadgirl17

Sadgirl17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Billie, you're incredible.... Thank you. I just have to thank you for going through all this effort. Thanks for all the links. The easy jet one is particularly nice.

• Like Like x 1