Am I Just Fixated on Hearing a Soft Ringing or Do I Actually Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Justin Sobcoviak, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Justin Sobcoviak

Justin Sobcoviak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      Hey guys! So I just started noticing very small ringing in my ears about a week ago. I honestly have no idea how long I’ve had it, but since I read about it being a common side effect of a medicine I’m taking, I started to fixate and notice a soft ringing.

Now, I hear it off and on when it’s quiet, but feel like I notice it more when sound is on. Whether that be the sink running, the shower running or the tv on. I’ll feel like I hear the soft ringing but when I turn the sink off or the tv off the sound won’t be there.

Am I just fixating on this and thinking I’m hearing something that doesn’t exist? Appreciate the help and guidance in advance.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The first people with tinnitus need to be asked is if they have have a history of loud music, loud work environment or loud anything? That's usually why people get tinnitus.

If a medicine you are taking is or you suspect it is ototoxic (ear poisoning), quit taking it and talk to a Doctor about it.

3. MikeS
      Mellow

MikeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident
      I disagree. I worked as a software engineer in quiet office environments, never wore headphones, and rarely went to concerts. My T is from a concussion. I think people focus too much on ears & hearing because of the "sound", and not enough on how perception comes from the brain.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The brain compensates for hearing loss with tinnitus. I know it's in the brain.

You might be an exception.