Am I Like Done?! Is Tinnitus Permanent After 5 or 6 Weeks of Having It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Komodo, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      I wanna know if tinnitus stays permanent after 5 or 6 weeks of having it (I have read that on a page by some doctor saying that there's a very big chance that it might be permanent).

I just don't know what to think anymore. I'm only 15 and I'm scared that I might have screwed up my ears for life...

Anyways can you please answer some of my questions:

-If you don't have hearing loss, do you have a better chance of your tinnitus going away?

-And are foam plugs ok to use?!

Thank you for the answers... Sigh what the hell have I done with my life...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus doesn't mean that one has hearing loss or vice versa. NO, you are not done and are just beginning a good life. Tinnitus cannot take life away. It may make it a litte difficult, but life is still a blessing.

I highly suggest that you protect your ears from now on and avoid loud places and people....

• Agree Agree x 6
    3. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      i cant say your chances are great but the fact that you are so young is always in your favor. I suggest trying to learn to live with this condition as best as possible in the mean time. I will say that life is far from over...you will definitely have to adjust though. You should get a pair of musician ear plugs immediately (custom fitted if possible). It took me a few months to get all the adjustments down and now almost a year later i can say (knocking on wood) that i have reached a level of habituation (it really took about 6 months). I dont let the condition control my life and am doing all the normal things i used to do. hang in there

Also foam is ok to use but.....they block out all sound...musician ear plugs let in sound so your perception of tinnitus is lower and you are at the same time still protected. Having conversations in a noisy restaurant for example is still possible. So your effectively protecting your ears and slowly desensitizing them at the same time. When you block out all sound you make your ears more sensitive in the long run. Of course if you are at a concert then wearing foam is perfect.

4. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      No

Protect you ears in the future. It's serious stuff.

You'll make mistakes in the future, and you'll end up with spikes. Life. Be careful, don't push your luck but also remember to enjoy life.

No clubs babe. I know your friends are going. I know it sucks. Don't. No earplug can reliably protect against noise damage in a typical nightclub environment.

Wear earplugs. I know she's (or he's) cute. She won't mind if you wear earplugs on a date. If she does, run away, she'll make your life difficult.

I speak from experience. Easy to underprotect around someone you fancy.

Anyway, that's all of the advice I can give you. Tinnitus makes life a little harder, but surprisingly might also make it much more enjoyable.

EDIT: protect your ears ev3n if your T goes away!!!!! Your ears are not like your friend's ears.

Don't mix vodka with beer. Seriously.

Get custom plugs if you have the money.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      I don't know what to say my mom said that i don't have anything and I'm exaggerating things and she also said that my ENT said it would go away cause I'm young...What do I say to her and I don't kniw where to buy musical earplugs from like I don't know shit right now...And I think I messed up like I'm so mad at myself cause I was such a retard to listen to loud music like fuck me......Anyways *sigh* I wish I could reverse time I'm such a dumb fuck not to take care of my ears huh

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok first you need to see an audiologist... that's if you want to get custom fitted ear plugs.. if not go to your nearest music store... they definitely will have them there. Have your mom look up what tinnitus is. Your life is going to be upside down for a little bit and she definitely needs to be aware of it. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions and trust me, we all wish the same thing. In time I promise things will get better..it may not be perfect but definitely will be better

7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Have your mom Visit this site .
      Going forward , I would avoid all loud events and get good pair of foam plugs .

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Easy..Easy..Easy young fella :)

I made TONS of mistake in my life too. We all did, don't be so so hard on yourself. The past is the past and the future is bright. I made some poor choices in my life when I got tinnitus as an young individual. I damaged my ears more and went to more concerts and nightclubs. You are getting lots of love and great advice here, on this forum. I didn't have that almost 30 years ago.

I know she is your mom, but don't take it to heart. She doesn't understand what is going on. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you, don't let something like this hold you back. Your tinnitus is at the first stages and possibly the lowest level of noise. I remember those days and i would give anything to have a low hiss/ barely noticeable tone. I made my mistakes and partied and lived my life to the fullest. I had a great time doing it, but i ultimately paid the price.

If i could reversed it and have protected my ears...no doubt i would have.

Protect your ears, because that low hiss/tone can GET much louder and annoying.

Be well buddy :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

Your chances of getting over it are low once you have it for more than 2 years. Ears take forever to heal, so you will probably have it for at least another 3-12 months...

Protect your ears, and hopefully you will get better.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      I wanna thank you all so much...This means so much to me...I realised that this morning my tinnitus is almost gone like I can only hear it if I concentrate on it !! Thank you all I love you guys

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It ought to continue fading. Just make sure not to have a secondary acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Real happy to hear that...Make sure to still get a pair of musician ear plugs...wear them at loud clubs and bars...you got alot of life to live and ALOT OF PARTYING TO DO !!! lo l:beeranimation:

13. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Super-nice to hear!

You take care now alright? Especially of your ears.

14. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)

Don't do that, don't concentrate on it ;) Just relax and let it go :)
      That's important, the less you focus on it, the higher are the chances that it goes away for good.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      I think it got away like I can't hear it anymore...I promised myself that I will protect my ears like I'm not gonna use headphones or earbuds anymore, not gonna to clubs without protection and this had to be a lesson from which I had to learn some stuff...So anyways, I wanna thank you all for the advice like it really helped me ✌ Hope that all of your tinnitus problems go away Thank you...

• Like Like x 4
    16. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Glad to hear it's going away. Definitely keep protecting your ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Wonderful. :)

Be aware of your surroundings and your health. Oh, and be your own person - no peer pressure bullshit. Now go life your life, bro!

18. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      This is good to hear. I am on my 4th week and had similar thoughts - is it permanent now. I believe it's getting better but it is so minute that changes are almost not noticeable. Congrats to you - it's a valuable life lesson you learned.

19. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Protect your ears from loud noise, no more headphones at any volume, wear ear plugs at concerts (warn your friends too) and you will be fine in a few months.
      Use this a a life long learning experience.

20. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      All good advice above. As others have said, protect your ears (even without Tinnitus). The time frame from acute to chronic tinnitus is mostly fluid and there is no real definite answer. It's believed the neuroplastc change happens around 3-6 months but people get better after years so any exact time frame is impossible to say.

Can I make one suggestion? Get off this forum; it won't help you but only focus your attention towards tinnitus (combined with reading not helpful things).

• Like Like x 1
    21. High C

High C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had it for over 20 years.

• Hug Hug x 1