Amtrak Noise Levels

Discussion in 'Support' started by jazz, Jun 27, 2014.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I am considering a 13 hour train ride later this summer. I plan on wearing earmuffs (NRR 27 dB), but I worry that this much time of continuous train noise might permanently increase my tinnitus.

I can't find noise levels for Amtrak, but have found a few studies about excessive noise associated with rapid transit.

Has anyone taken a long Amtrak trip? And, if so, did it spike you?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!:)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I used to take an Amtrak every weekend 4 hours away, for the first 8 months of having T. It never spiked it, and I didn't ever wear ear muffs or anything. Sometimes I did listen to music at a low volume and sleep though!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @demi Thank you! It sounds like Amtrak is not noisy then. I've ridden Amtrak a few times, but not since getting tinnitus. I never remembered it being loud, but 13 hours is a long time for noise exposure.

But your 4 hour trip is also significant--especially since you were able to sleep!:)

4. here2help

here2help Member

@jazz, consider buying noise cancellation headphones. Bose makes a very good pair called the QuietComfort 15. I wear them on airplanes and they do a superb job in cancelling out the lower-frequency sounds of the engines that are, by far, the loudest thing on an airplane (unless a deranged pilot decides to sing opera and broadcast it over the loudspeaker).

The QC 15 also works great on trains.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ncelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

Perhaps you could do a trial run on a shorter train trip to see how it goes. Bring your earmuffs and the noise cancellation headphones and compare one to the other.

You will be fine! Live your life and enjoy yourself.

here2help

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Thank you! And I will purchase those Bose headphones and perhaps do a short overnighter somewhere. I was just looking tonight at brief trips, and where I live there are no round trips that don't necessitate an overnight stay.

Thanks again!:)

6. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I rode an Amtrak train yesterday and checked noise of car interior with a sound pressure level meter. Was not very high, around 60-65 dB. This compares with aircraft cabin which I've found to be 70-75 dB. The highest in public transportation was the back of a regional bus line with air conditioner running, upwards of 75-80 dB. Yesterday I spent around one hour in each of those three environments, no earplugs, no adverse effects.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MikeA Thank you very much for checking the noise levels! I'm so appreciative! :D I now feel confident, but will bring some type of hearing protection because the trip is 13 hours. I think I'll get those Quiet Comfort headphones.

@here2help @MikeA @demi Thank you everyone for your advice and support!:) I am so happy that I'll be buying my tickets tonight.

Yeah! I love vacations!!:p

• Like Like x 3