Any Animators or Illustrators on Board?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Feb 9, 2016.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      To realise a few very cool ideas to raise awareness?

• Like Like x 4
    2. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      :whistle:

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cartoon a fair amount but my general medium is badly drawn cats so IDK how useful that is. Bounce some ideas off me, though.

4. Elena_1234
      Alone

Elena_1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/10/2015
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    6. Welsh_Mitch

Welsh_Mitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I am an animator but I am very dark/arty

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Not sure what that means ( I doubt you are darker than tinnitus:)) but it would be appreciated if you can inbox me so I can explain what the idea is.
      Thanks!

8. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      So did you guys do some artwork to raise tinnitus awareness? I would really like to see it. :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      No much luck

10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      :( What happened?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Onnie's partner is working on something and others are either not skilled enough or can't do it for free

12. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      It can indeed be difficult to "get things done" in this world - there is always "something" that stalls the process: lack of commitment, lack of money, group unity, or lack of self-leadership, or some other factor (external or internal).

But you don't always need to choose the most difficult path (i.e. getting hold of an animator to create an awareness message). Take a look at the campaign below (which has just finished). It used a simple "Shutterstock" purchased image with a 10-sentence campaign message that was linked to the URL of the Frontiers Research Topic concerning tinnitus. In addition, it had just the budget of a 4-person meal at McDonalds and yet it managed to reach almost 12,000 people - I kid you not. You see, I happen to know the person who was behind the campaign. Pretty smart guy too, I have to say: he knows a lot about tinnitus, social media marketing, and seems to have a lot of contacts. A bit like me, I guess. In addition, I am told he did it all free-of-charge. What a nice guy, right?

upload_2016-9-9_9-17-56.png

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      This is all well and good and I do get what you're saying but to do something particular skills are required.
      For example I'm not very good with computers, so for me to put something together is equal to mission impossible.
      I'm good at taking X-rays and if that skill and knowledge could help tinnitus awareness I would have already done it, free of charge!
      We have such a huge variety of skilled people on this board that I'm sure could be utilised yet so little or no interest:(
      Ideas I had needed an animator but that's not to say that there are no other ways to rise awareness. In this case I was talking only of what I had in mind.
      But.... we've both seen the reality so no point of wasting our breath!

14. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. That's probably why that smart guy behind the campaign decided to do his own thing.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yes good result but overall we are still more or less stuck.
      The only chance of moving forward in big steps would be if you become a CEO of an organisation like ATA!
      Until then we will be going in circles relying on an individual effort to spread the word!

16. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      What about people talking about their T, what its effect is on their lives. Do you think anyone on here would be interested in that?
      How do we reach a big audience though? Also went to my ATM and on the screen several charities appeared, i.e. you could donate before withdrawing cash - even the dog trust was on there, now...got me thinking Tinnitus charities are even less known the animal welfare ones...in fact there is only one in the UK, the BTA.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      We could always send our clip to ATA and BTA?

18. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know... during the long, long period where I have devoted time and energy to advocacy, I have - as you can imagine - come across a large number of people: CEOs of pharma companies, top level researchers, non-profit organizations and of course tinnitus sufferers. And... during that long period of time, I have heard more than once people utter words to the effect of: tinnitus will not be cured until enough people develop it.

And there is perhaps some truth to that. I happen to also know a fair bit about other diseases (and disease groups) - particularly those diseases where stem cells might have an application. And the same argument seems to hold: there is a lack of will (at all levels - doctors, health authorities, and the patients themselves) to do the right thing. The only topic (health-wise) that will ever get prioritized is when an epidemic threatens our existence e.g. Zika, Ebola, certain influenza strains (or some other "bug" out there).

Lastly, I can also mention that just in the last month or so, a number of both disclosed and non-disclosed developments have taken place at the pharma company level - which - collectively will have the ingredients to create the perfect storm and hence delay future treatments in relation to tinnitus. There is a real possibility that during the past, say, 6 months, the entire future pipeline of tinnitus drugs will have been delayed by, say, 5 to 7 (maybe even 10 years). Add to that the fact that the WHO estimates 1.1 billion young adults are at risk of developing hearing loss (due to recreational noise exposure) and you now have a new type of unstoppable "epidemic" - or "pandemic" as it is called when it affects the worldwide population. The tinnitus community is potentially in so much trouble, but, very few of you are aware of it - and that includes your local doctor down-the-block and also government health authorities (who have absolutely no clue about tinnitus research and, say, Kv-channel openers such as RL-81).

19. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn't worry too much about advocacy - see this reason:

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Tinnitus is simply not sexy enough!
      Nobody wants to talk about it, hear about it let alone do something about it.
      ATA, BTA and the rest..... waste of space!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Good ol' doc was spot on!
      Habituation, habituation, habituation....

Is tinnitus mentioned by WHO at all?
      There's a good chance that at least half of those with hearing loss due to recreational noise will also have t!
      That's a good news no?

22. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is included (but if I recall correctly, they do not offer estimates on that i.e. tinnitus and future prevalence). But it is discussed. See attachment.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yes it doesn't sound serious enough to cause alert!
      I didn't know thought hat hearing loss can cause sleeping problems:)

As I said before we are stuck!
      But.... maybe and it's only maybe there's another option and that's if prof TT decides to get off his ass and do some proper work.
      After years of mucking around it would be nice to see him move from words to trials!

24. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To be honest, I think Tzounopoulos has done his bit and then some. Somebody else needs to get "off their asses", if you ask me... There is just too much mediocrity in the world we live in: lack of willpower, lack of intelligence, lack of critical thinking. When you add those untasteful ingredients into a stew, the result is not something which you can sell very easily.

Anyway, I have other things to attend to: I just wanted to pop back in with TinnitusTalk as there was this smart guy who did a bit of effective advocacy in the past two days (which is kind of interesting considering how a forum with more than 100,000 visitors per month cannot seem to do, well, anything really).

So long...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1