Any Idea? Does Hyperacusis Hurt When You Physically Touch the Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DDD, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      I'm new here unfortunately..

I'm 17 and I got reactive tinnitus with multiple pitches and tones and hyperacusis as of last week due to loud ear phones. Both are really bad.

I know this is permanent because I always had short bouts of it but then it just goes away but this time I listened to one loud video and it just sent it over the edge.

My question is does hyperacusis hurt when you physically touch the ears or is this something else. Right after it happened my inner left ear was red and it hurts to touch. I'm pretty sure I have r + h in both ears but my left is just way worse.

2. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      it hurts just below my ear to touch, but not my ear itself

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you have tmj or anything?

4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Might be some kind of neuralgia or sensitive/ inflamed nerves. Trigeminal neuralgia, for instance, can sometimes follow after acoustic trauma; very loud noises can rip the myelin right off of nerves in the pathway of the sound waves, and it can take a while for them to recover. I had these symptoms for a few weeks after sitting through Mad Max at the Imax theater (dumbest decision of my life).
      And loud noise can inflame other facial nerves, but because you were using earbuds and the noise was localized, I'm not sure how widespread the damage was.

But it might be a good idea to talk to your physician about the possibility of trigeminal/ other kind of neuralgia because I think that might explain the pain and inflammation in your ears. In the meantime, stay away from loud noises/concerts/ movie theaters and stop using headphones.

How long have you had this type of pain for?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks! I'll look in to this. I've had this pain since the start of my onset, so about a couple of weeks. And i'm sorry that happened to you.. Did you use earplugs when going to movie theater? Or did that not matter?

6. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Your symptoms will probably improve over time. Just start using properly inserted hearing protection in loud environments and ditch the headphones.

I've had dizziness, facial numbness, scalp tingling, and ears that were red and felt sunburned. This garbage can cause all kinds of symptoms it seems.

7. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @DDD

Yes, I wearing earplugs, but they were completely fitted and would not have protected me from all that bass anyway.