Any Upcoming Treatments for Mid-Range Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meemil, Dec 13, 2019.

1. meemil

meemil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/genetic
      Hi,

I've been been diagnosed with mid-frequency hearing loss. I have otherwise normal audiogram and can hear all the way till 18 kHz, but 1 kHz and 2 kHz are symmetrically down about 20 dB making a notch in both ears. It's speculated that it is genetic, but I don't know of any relatives with hearing loss.

As far as I know, FX-322 only helps with high frequencies and don't know if there's any other real upcoming treatments for inner ear hearing loss.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In most countries that is not even classified as hearing loss.

3. Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma: Too close to fireworks with no protection.
      Assuming FX-322 actually regenerates hearing effectively, it would work for all frequencies. The problem with regenerating lower frequencies is getting medicine further into the cochlea, not the medicine itself. Otomagnetics claims they have a delivery method that would get medicine all the way into the cochlea. So assuming FX-322 works, you'd want to be watching for delivery methods rather than new regenerative medicines.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meemil

meemil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/genetic
      The hearing loss is not that bad yet, but is likely progressive and already causing a quite distressing multi tonal tinnitus on that frequency range.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meemil

meemil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/genetic
      Alright, thanks for clarifying! Sounds interesting. Haven't heard about Otomagnetics yet.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      What I mean is that even if you go to doctors they wont be able to fix it and dismiss it as mild hearing loss or no hearing loss.

In the industrialised and urban world ENTs are now considering normal hearing up to 20 dbs in all frequencies. Probably 300 years ago this was considered as being half deaf, but the world has changed in this aspect for worse.