Anyone Try Amantadine for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by B. Allen, Aug 19, 2018.

1. B. Allen

B. Allen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/28/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury. Auto Accident.
      I've found a single case of a man in Europe who has his tinnitus suppressed with the antiviral drug Amantadine.

Besides being antiviral, Amantadine was found to help Parkinson's patients and traumatic brain injuries.

I have a TBI and my head hasn't stopped ringing since the accident a year ago.

I am on Amantadine for the TBI but I swear it seems to help the rings severity.

Anyone else have any similar experience or thoughts on Amantadine?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've never heard of amantadine however after googling "amantadine" and "ototoxicity" there are many results.

Ototoxicity is essentially drug induced hearing loss, which means that i'll probably stay away from trying it, but if anyone here is brave enough to give it a go, then i'd be interested to see the results.

3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did it go away completely? How has your tinnitus been?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      B. Allen

B. Allen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/28/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury. Auto Accident.
      Hi Striveon
      I noticed a reduction in the severity and frequency of the spikes in my tinnitus. It never goes completely away. However, I was recently taken off of Amantadine and put on Nortriptyline. The background ringing is now louder and spikes are more frequent and much louder, particularly after ingesting the new script. I'm contacting my doctor tomorrow to discuss these new "results".

5. Rush Elkins

Rush Elkins Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My life-long, high-pitched tinnitus disappeared abruptly and pretty much completely within a second or three after the anethesiologist started pushing the sedative (propofol?) during a recent colonoscopy. The effect was very striking, and persisted until I went under ten or fifteen seconds on.

A little research later turned up this report: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23426878, so it appears my experience is not unique.

That report discusses amantadine.

• Helpful Helpful x 1