Are Foam Earplugs More Protective Than Custom Fitted Ear Plugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Assuming both are inserted correctly and fit appropriately.

Do foam ear plugs provide the best protection money can buy?

I’m not talking about comfort or about quality of sound but simply effectiveness alone.

When I am using earplugs that’s all I care about and want to have the most decibel protection on the market.

I haven’t been able to find any reliable information about this so your input will be greatly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Having used all sorts of ear protection, i have come to conclusion that custom ear plugs, mine made at a hospital audiology department, is a false sense of security. Though its less loud, everything is still loud and clear. The strongest filter vs weaker filter sounds no difference. My guess is, although it fits your ear well, there is still too much space, in the scale of sound waves, between the plug and the ear canal. I use ear muff for best protection, but it is extremely uncomfortable. I use ear peace plugs if Im outside and need real protection. These stretchy kinds, foams included, minimizes space between them and ear canal and is the main factor why sound is more effectively blocked than customs. Most of the time though, i use custom just for casaul protection and i still like them because they are many times easier to use.

3. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure