Ate at Restaurant Where They Played Music

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      I am currently in Japan. I am a huge fan of Tarantino's movies as you can see from my profile pic so we went to a restaurant where a fighting scene from Kill Bill was filmed.

The restaurant played music. When I first got in I did not notice it because there were so much people talking. When I took the few first steps I was like "oh crap" the music is pretty loud. We had a table under a tiny house and it blocked the loud music but there was a speaker about 1.5 meters where I sit but it played music much quieter. I ordered my food and went to the toilet and there wasn't any music. I got an idea that I will put my earmuffs on top of my earplugs. (I was wearing earplugs the whole time I was eating). After 15 mins I came back to the table from the toilet. I sit there for 25 minutes and then told my father I will put the earmuffs on. When I had the x5a earmuffs on I still could hear the music but it did not sound so loud. I ate about 30 minutes and then I went outside.

I was eating at this restaurant for a little over an hour. For the first 30 mins I only had earplugs on. And for the rest 30-40 mins the earmuffs on.

The reason I am posting this is because I want to know can I go eating outside today? I have been spending this day in my hotel room while rest of my family is in the city :(

What about tomorrow should I be in my hotel room?

2. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Don't let Tinnitus to drive your life.

As far as you are properly protecting your ears, you could, and you should (for your mental health) live your life as normal as possible.

Personally, I use earplugs anytime there is loud sound. I don't use earmuffs (in my opinion, that is a little too much for most of everyday loud situations)... I have never get an increase in my T related with going out to dinner, or to a bar, using only earplugs.

Enjoy your travel!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I genuinely think you will be okay. What you described as the sound level combined with the duration you were exposed and that you also did protect your hearing all the way through.

You did not even mention if you're having a spike now? I assume no? You are just being cautious?

Try to relax during your travels, I would recommend not to visit this site while you're abroad. You're very capable of protecting your hearing.

Enjoy your trip!

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Apocalypse77

I am pleased to hear that you've been out and having a good time. Try not to worry excessively over tinnitus and exposure to sound and just enjoy your holiday. Stress can do all sorts of things and the last thing you want, is to have a spike caused by stress and anxiety.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T has spiked on both ears but it is little bit louder on my right ear. I have read that pachinkos (gaming halls that are located in Japan) have a noise level of 92 db. The restaurant wasn't nearly as loud as a pachinko. And isn't a lawn mower about 95 db? I think the music was about 90 db. I just maybe overreacted I hope my T will have gone down to basic level when I wake up. Tomorrow is my last full day here. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Don’t let tinnitus rule your life. Wear protection if necessary and go out and enjoy the Rich and fulfilling life you deserve.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Beautifully put Paulie and absolutely right....

8. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Those pachinko are really loud I measured above 90db constant levels, worse than any airplane flight and filled with cigarette smoke.. not the most pleasant environment

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is still really loud, it has been 4 days from this. ;(

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The music did not hurt my ears it was just somewhat loud. For example not as loud as videos that we watch in our school :p. I was in the MRI and it was really loud and the spike lasted for 4 days. Why is this a long lasting or a permanent spike? I have not even been in loud places after I got T and in Tokyo I always used earplugs and sometimes earmuffs. I really don't get it. And it was still a "short exposure" because I was on the loud music for an hour and ~5 minutes.

Here is my calculations:
      decibel level:
      - Not as loud as a pachinko which is ~ 92 dB
      - Measured with my phone and showed 86 dB, the phone was at the seat level.
      - The restaurant was maybe 90 dB, even if it was 95 dB I had earplugs that at least blocked 3 dB (They were inserted correctly).
      - At 94 dB you can be for one hour.
      Let's say the noise was 95 dB. My earplugs blocked 3 db. 95-3 = 92. In 94 you can be for 1 hour and at 91 for 2 hours. So in 92 for 1.30 minutes. During the time that I was at the restaurant I went to the toilet 2 times and stayed on the first time for 15 mins and second time for 10 mins. These breaks are good for ears.

+ My sister doesn't like loud music or noises neither. She was one meter closer to the speaker and is fine.
      + My brother said, it was pretty loud, but definitely not loud enough to cause hearing damage or not as loud as a pachinko (92 db).

Conclusion:
      Why has my T spiked? I repeat, why has my T spiked? I will comeback tomorrow and hope the spike is gone.

11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Anxiety? Do not underestimate how much anxiety and stress can impact health.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How am I able to live with this? I think I got a permanent increase on my T? :(