Autophony (Hearing My Own Voice Loudly) in the Morning

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ben Winders, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I have low buzzing tinnitus (mainly in my right ear).

In the morning, after having slept in complete silence (I'm not using a white noise masker anymore), when I say something, my ear reacts to it by echoing what I said back to me, like an amped microphone (this is called autophony).

When the day goes on and my ears get filled with other noises, that effect slowly subsides, only to pick up again the next morning after having slept.

Anyone has this effect too?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I have heard of this occuring in people with hydrops attacks on Facebook.

Mine does this too but not in the morning and it is different. Like my voice has clipping to it. No echo back, just words get an overtone of clipping like shhh shhhh on mostly s syllables. Granted, I don't sleep in quiet. Might have to knuckle that one out and see.

3. JLH

JLH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Ben, hope you're doing well. I've read most of your posts as my symptoms are very similar to yours.

A bit off-topic but I'm curious why you don't sleep with a white noise masker anymore? I believe I read that when you slept with the white noise, your hum would be inhibited for the next day. If that was the case, isn't that a pretty good solution? Or were you concerned the white noise was doing damage? I'm trying something similar (sleeping with a low frequency white noise masker to see if it provides any residual inhibition the next day), but unsure what the optimal volume / sound should be.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      It'll be very personal. For me, masking was more running away than facing and start dealing / getting used to my new reality... If I allowed my hum for a longer time, I got less scared of it (still scared, 160 blood pressure, still to this day) as opposed to masking and hearing it occasionally.

Yea, I'm not a fan of having a humming noise generator on all night... Even if it would give me silence during the day (no idea if it still does). I guess giving ears a rest during the night is not a bad thing.

I don't need high volume to cancel out the hum though, it just needs to hit the right frequency.