Avoid Silence or Seek Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinniger, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I once read the expert advice to avoid silence.

Many tinnitus sufferers use a background noise to distract themselves.

This doesn't work for me at all, and any continuous noise, even rather quiet noises (fan) seem to spur on the hiss in my ear.

What are your experiences?

2. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have my radio low on whenever im home but sometimes prefer silence.

3. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      There is the widely-spread theory around these circles that the ears benefit from acoustic enrichment. But I don't buy it. Exposing the ears to frequent or constant sound just seems like an energy drain and irritant to me. I think the very idea is ludicrous. It would be like suggesting that the eyes need constant light enrichment to be healthy and then recommending that people keep the lights on all night while sleeping. The ears, like all organs, need rest. Particularly ones that have suffered damage.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I think its a double edged sword. At first i needed masking and still do, but now my T is better i prefer to sleep in as much silence as i can get and choose to zone out or tune out my Tinnitus instead, then off i go to sleep. When i try masking it to sleep it can help but only if it covers it completely otherwise i just notice the beep in my pillow ear more. Im learning to zone it out which is habituation but its only possible because it has dimmed into my head and/or my brain has decided enough is enough.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      Before my spike I would make an effort to keep my house silent because noises just made my tinnitus louder. Now it doesn't matter, I hear it with noise on or off so what the hell. In anxiety mode so I have been masking but again I still hear tinnitus so seems dumb to me.

• Like Like x 1
    6. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This thread has a very good question.

I am in an awkward situation.
      Due to T & H, my tinnitus is easily spiked by the SOUND.
      But, on the other hand, experts here suggest us exposing our ears
      to the SOUND to avoid ears sensitivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I'm someone who likes quiet naturally, I hate excess in everything and believe in balance in everything. Too quiet is not good, too loud is not good. Just right is best. My ears like loud noises sometimes, by loud I mean the sound of cars passing by, or having a few people scream in the hallway. If life was too quiet my ears get very annoyed.

• Like Like x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Certain sounds, particularly in the beginning, seemed to worsen my tinnitus.

I know it isn't recommended, but I don't mask all that much these days. I can sit for hours and read, hear my tinnitus (or not hear my tinnitus) and be quite ok with it. But it took me a long time to get to this point. I have my good and not so good days with it, but overall, I am a long way from where I started.

I think the reactive component of your tinnitus is related to the presence of hyperacusis. Since I've received stem cells last year, that reactivity has improved, so that when I do listen to other noises, my tinnitus doesn't react like it used to.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      That is an intersting question. When i first came to this forum and i read everywhere that you should always mask.However my T is relatively quiet so i can sleep without masking (although i have to say it is kind of relaxing having nature sounds in the background:D). I see no difference in my T if i mask or not, so maybe i‘ll just put a timer on it for 30-60 mins.

But like @TuneOut said,

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    10. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      T is so different for everyone, I have yet to meet someone who's T is like mine, my ears love noise and when i first had T...the more noise i expose my T to the happier my ears were...I'm not saying loud sounds but medium sounds like traffic and restaurants. Sometimes the best way for me to temper the roar in my ears is to go outside and let the daily noises lower my pitch. A few years later and my T has pretty much gone down to nothing, I think i over shelter my ears a bit too much...and expose them just for a few minutes a day to certain noises and it has helped a lot.

This is just my opinion and like i said, not everyone's t is like mine, so please don't do this if you're new to T!!!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Tinniger
      I have similar experience.
      I think I'm realising my T is spurred on by similar frequencies to it. So my masking at night with crickets may be effectively worsening mine and waking me more in the night
      John

12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It really depends on the person and at what stage they are at with their tinnitus/coping. Also it can depend on how severe their tinnitus is. Most of the time I prefer silence and I do not need extra noises. I'd be a unique case though, because I do not dwell on the noise and don't pay attention to it. For someone that just got tinnitus, silence might make them dwell more on the noise and listen more for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Try ACRN, it most probably won’t intensify your T like white noise can.

• Like Like x 1
    14. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I use background noise to mask it. I have to turn the tv up to volume 50 so I can actually watch a movie or something ( I know bad lol). You seem to have reactive tinnitus. So sounds can cause it to spike for a moment. I have this sometimes like when I play a song it goes up.

15. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      The first year is so much pain, sound can be too hard to do. The other posts should be more clear.
      The sound enrichment comes after the healing, not during the trauma.

• Like Like x 2
    16. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      This is a good one. Like many answers it depends on where you are in the T healing process. I never masked but I probed my ears with plenty of sounds (beeps and tones) my T over the first few months. Now I am using acrn through the day and sometimes some synthy youtube songs. But this is not to mask but to retrain the brain.

As to silence, I would be in favor of more of it (if one can stand it), as I would want the brain to be used to regular ol' reality.

I'm not sure what the answer would be for people with H, but subdued volume of real life makes sense to me.

17. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      My reactivity is my biggest problem and what keeps me home bound. May I ask what type of stem cells you received and how long after onset did you get stem cell therapy and was it IV or local injections?

18. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      adipose derived
      administered intrarticularly and iv
      5 years post onset

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Awesome. Thanks, Deb.

20. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      any other questions, ask away

21. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      I am also interested in stem cells for my reactive T. How did you decide on stem cells versus all other treatments?

Are there any negative side effects you had?

I live in the United States though. I’m not sure if stem cells are available for tinnitus here. I’ll do more research.

@DebInAustralia

22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Hi Layla,

I did (intrarticular and IV) stems for severe joint pain May 2017, not specifically for tinnitus or hyperacusis.

The clinic where I received the adipose derived stems, put me in touch with someone who had improved dramatically with regards to h and t (though again, used the stems for to avoid joint replacement).

By the time I had decided upon the stems, I had started to habituate.

I will say that the reactive component of my tinnitus has settled down dramatically. My spikes have backed off dramatically, and one of my noises have disappeared.

No negative side effects as far as my tinnitus or hyperacusis. Just a bit of pre and post op discomfort from the liposuction.

I had an arrhythmia 2 days post procedure, but don't think it was related to the stems.

If you want to know more specifics, I am happy to share Layla.

Speak to lymebite about accessibility of stems in the States.

23. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Layla,

Have you considered LDN? (low dose naltrexone)

It is used in chronic pain states, autoimmunity.

There are members on here I believe are either considering it or have taken it. Maybe they can comment further.

@lymebite

24. Mark5398

Mark5398 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss?
      Interestingly I was asking myself the same question and stumbled upon your post.

My T seems to be intensified by travelling. Car/Train/Airplane they all have a similar low-frequency noise which spikes my high-pitched T.

Listening to white Noise, equalized music or ACRN around my T frequencies generates some residual inhibition most of the times and results in some sort of reduction in the noise.

Lastly, the absolute silence at night intensifies my T. If I wake up in the middle of the night it is generally louder, as it is in the morning.

So I get different results. It looks like both silence and noise spike my T, but the right frequencies lower it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      It is normal for people with healthy ears to experience pseudo-tinnitus when placed in noise isolated rooms for a while.

Personally, I take it to mean that it's always healthiest to have moderate, gentle sounds than complete silence or loudness.

• Informative Informative x 2
    26. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi Deb,
      I found a clinic here that does stem cell for joint problems so I will call them and ask about tinnitus.

27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      How did you get on Val sourcing the stem cell clinic?

Where is it?

28. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Honestly I find this very interesting, I think I screwed myself over by doing the exact opposite. When I got the I started avoiding sounds and noise more and more, now 2 years later, my T is a lot worse and I still avoid noisy situations and even get super anxious when I'm under them, but need some noise otherwise I go insane. I wonder if I exposed myself normally to the world I would get any improvements... I don't think I have the courage to try it tho

• Agree Agree x 1