Awful Tinnitus Experince This Morning. Was This the Result of a Sudden Awakening, or the New Normal?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by aot, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Dr. Nagler, once again thank you for answering my previous question and for being such a benefiet to tinnitus sufferers. I had a nightmarish situation this morning. It's still fresh in my mind, so sorry if this sounds rather panicky.

Early this morning, around 5:00 AM, I woke to a loud, hellish tone in the back of my head. And I mean loud. Like standing next to a firetruck as it's sirens blare kind of loud. I was absolutely in hysterics needless to say.

It went away eventually, but now I'm scared because this is almost exactly how my original spike started: Waking up to a loud noise.

Now, some things to note:

Last week I had my ears irrigated. My doctor belived that problems were entirely ear wax caused, and decided that this would be the best option. It actually lowerd the tinnitus at first, and switched it from my left ear to the right for some reason. But now the tinnitus in the ear has returned to its previous volume, sounding like crickets or cicadas.

I've been sick for the past few days with some kind of stomache bug. Nothing too serious. Drank lots of fluids.

I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, or drink any alcohal at all, or attend any parties. Had a few slices of pizza, and that's it. (Though I did take a bus to vist a friend of mine.)

I think I was having a dream before I woke up, and I think it might have been unpleasent. I'm not sure though.

Is this the sign of another spike? Is this what I have to look forward to for the foreseeable future? I don't think I can handle that. It was like something out of a Lovecraft story. I never want to experince it again.

Thank you for your time. If you watched the Super Bowl, I hope you enjoyed it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @aot. I am sorry to hear of your distress.

This forum does not lend itself to much in the way of back-and-forth in that there is no mechanism by which you can directly respond to a question I might have by way of clarification.

So if you do not mind, please re-post the same question you have just posted, but include with your question reference to how long the episode in question lasted. You said above that it went away "eventually," but I need something a bit more specific than that.

Also, you wrote: "I was absolutely in hysterics needless to say." Can you explain in your re-post precisely what it was about this particular sound that put you "absolutely in hysterics."

I apologize for asking you to re-write your question, but I'd like to give you as meaningful a response as possible - and re-writing your question with those two bits of clarification will help. There is no need to try to edit or delete delete your post; I don't know if you can even do that. Just copy and paste your original question to a new thread, and add in the information I have requested. Thank you.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

• Like Like x 1