Back to Working!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tennrltr, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      I have been out of work now since December 2014. I stay at home almost 24/7. I am finding it very difficult getting out. I want to do something but can't get started. What has been your experience with this and do you have any suggestions. My tinnitus is 1 day in a row, not several. Your input would be very much appreciated. God Bless !

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

It looks like your T was the result of an injury of some kind? What has been a bigger obstacle to getting back to work, the tinnitus, or the injury itself? You say that you only have the tinnitus one day out of several; if that's the case, then why has it held you from going back to work?

I kept working all the way through this, including the very difficult period after my worsening in 2010 when I was barely able to sleep and was back on benzos for a period of time -- for me, having external demands on my schedule and other things to think about, was useful in keeping this from being any worse than it was. When things have been really bad for me, weekends tend to be harder than the work week, because if I'm distressed enough that there's nothing I enjoy doing, on weekends I'm just staring at walls, listening to the buzzing in my head and feeling horrible. Breaking that pattern is very important.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      No that's 1 good day of low T sounds, sorry said it wrong. The T is many times worse than the injury. Which to date its only be found in the neck area somewhere. Don't have a job now that the company has closed . Have an office but no
      clients since don't feel like working. I do the same on the weekends as well.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, my own experience has been that forcing myself to work no matter how little I feel like it has been incredibly useful for a variety of reasons -- when things are really bad, I've had to sit in quiet meditation for a while in the morning and then do a bunch of yoga to even convince myself that it's possible for me to go to work. But, the problems I have are not necessarily the same as the problems you have, so the things that seem to work for me may not be helpful to you :-/

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Like @linearb, I found work a lifesaver when it came to tinnitus -- because it forced me to get up in the morning and go on with my life. It also served as a greatly needed distraction. I looked into taking short-term disability but my psychiatrist, who was helping me deal with my acute anxiety sparked by tinnitus, urged me not to do it if at all possible. I sometimes would have very difficult days, when I needed to go to my car, listen to my meditation tapes and do deep breathing.

I have constant tinnitus in both ears that was, in the beginning, very loud. I also had to deal with the panic attacks it caused. During all this, I missed only one day of work.

My situation was helped by the fact that I work in a high-pressure, but not intensely noisy, job; and that I had very understanding and supportive bosses and co-workers. I listened to masking sounds during the day through head phones, so as not to disturb those around me. Believe it or not, I did some of the best work in my career while I was struggling through the early stages of tinnitus. I think this disorder, oddly enough, made me more determined and focused.

This, of course, is just my experience and may not be yours. I always have been a "worker" -- don't even see myself retiring, although my husband already has.

But since you are asking for advice: I would say the first step is to tell yourself that you want to return to work, that you are ready and you know you can make it happen. It helps to give yourself permission (if your work environment allows it) to not work a full day, if it becomes unbearable. Taking meditation breaks helped me tremendously. You could start out by rebuilding your client list? I don't know your work situation, so its hard for me to make specific suggestions. But I think the main thing is to be positive and determined not to let tinnitus win, if work is really something you want back in your life.

You also can find distraction from your tinnitus in non-work situations; going out with friends, joining low-key social groups, volunteering a few hours a day or week. If you truly are having trouble leaving the house, you might benefit from some therapy.

Good luck to you, @Tennrltr.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      Thanks for your advice.......God Bless

P.S.- Into therapy now.