Bad Vacation

Discussion in 'Support' started by butterfly75, Apr 1, 2017.

1. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I already had two loud noise exposures this month, but my family wanted to go to Washington DC for a trip.

I had a panic attack the moment we got there. I really didn't want to go outside. I just wanted to stay in the hotel but my mother said I was ruining the vacation so I agreed, and brought my ear plugs and ear muffs. So many loud noises. We were walking by the cherry blossoms, by the river, close to all of the landmarks and a helicopter flew right above my head, perhaps less than 75 meters away. I had another panic attack of course and begged my parents to go back to the hotel. They wanted to keep walking but I really wanted to go back and eventually we got a taxi.

There were planes going by really low every few seconds, ambulances with sirens passing right by, the crossing guard blowing an extremely loud whistle multiple times while I was standing on the crosswalk, and people yelling across the street right by my ear.

I'm back at the hotel now and all I want is to go back home. I didn't even want to go at first but I agreed because I'd already refused to go so many places with my parents, and I thought it'd distract me from my T. I've ruined my parents vacation. Everyone around us is happy, laughing, and all of the kids are joyfully walking along with their parents. And my parents wanted to have a good time. I can't go back yet and we're staying at the hotel for another day. I can't fall asleep in the hotel because of my anxiety so it feels like so far away. The drive home is 5 hours and I really can't wait :cry:

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used to live in DC so I know all those nosies well. Try to relax and enjoy yourself a little bit; DC is quiet for a big city, and it's unlikely that any of the stuff you listed is damaging even without plugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The helicopter was literally right above my head, maybe the distance of an average living room. I don't know why they were flying those so low. That's what I'm worried about the most really.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've clocked them with dB meters when they do that. It's actually less of a problem than planes right overhead outside DCA in the Clarendon area, but even that isn't worryingly loud unless you're standing in it 8 hours a day.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That is calming to hear. I didn't have time to pull out my phone and open the DB meter app (even though I don't know how accurate I can trust it to be still) so that's helpful.

6. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Dear Butterfly,
      It's a great big beautiful noisy world out there and I hope you consider a good pair of earplugs; ones that will not only help you on vacation but in the future as well. Ya can't stay in a hotel while on vacation. Earplugs help me and a good pair should help you as well. Best of luck!

7. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I go to DC a lot but as long as I wear my ear plugs I'm fine! Just enjoy it and wear them!