Barber & Earplugs (Watch Out)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Did this ever happen to you?

When I go to get my hair cut, I always wear a pair of foam earplugs properly inserted. You know, because of all the noise (hairdryers, electric razors, trimmers etc.). I try to pick times when there aren't many people around.

It is just when the barber cuts my hair he slaps my ears with his comb quite often. That thing feels like a shock wave going straight through my ear when I have those earplugs in (is this the occlusion effect?).

Today, again the same story. I asked him to be more careful and just when he was about to finish he flipped the back of my ear with his finger accidentally - very loud dull sound. It got me worried.

Is this dangerous to our hearing or just very uncomfortable?? An explanation would be nice too.

Cheers.

J.

• Useful Useful x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      They are just cutting your hair and their combs might, rub against your ears. There is a huge difference between a comb rubbing against your ears and being slapped in the ears. I haven't noticed damage from a comb rubbing against my ears. I been slapped as well by accident and nothing happened either. Try to prevent these, but don't obsess over it....

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      There is a difference and in this case I was talking about light slapping of ears with plugs in by a comb (all viz the first post). Here barbers work pretty quick, and oftentimes you catch them holding a pair of scissors and a comb in the same hand - is when accidents happen. I don't obsess over it. Glad it didn't do any harm to you. Still, q. unasnwered.