Being Harassed at Work Over a Hearing Issue — Help [USA]?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wtfok55, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Wtfok55

Wtfok55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NA
      So basically, I work as a web dev and worked here for about a year at this job. I recently changed fields and so I am new to the field, but enjoy it and want to get better in it with programming.

However, my current boss for whatever reason seems to want to fire me and harass me. It is clear he wants to get rid of me, so I am doing everything I can to find a new job. But with the economy tanking and other things, I don’t know how long that will take.

One issue I am having at work is related to hearing issue. Pretty much in every meeting that involves a teleconference, they turn speakers too loud or are in noisy environment and turn up speakers.

Basically, boss was taking steps to formally make complaint against me and one thing he complained about was participation in meetings. Claimed I wasn’t doing as much work as others, even though I had quantitative evidence that showed otherwise. Many other things. Went to HR over being treated unfairly, and thing calmed down for a month but are starting up again.

I said that the reason meetings can be an issue at times is because speakers get turned up too loud, I have to put in earplugs, and then I can’t hear meeting well.

After said this, bosses boss and is agreed to let me call into meetings as long as I participated.

So far I did that and it helped. I also participated more in meetings. But, my boss claims I am not. When asked how he could tell, how much more time did I not talk in meetings vs. now, etc., he could not answer. He just claims it’s his perception.

So now he is claiming I have to fill out some form and see a doctor to do what is already easily done, that I remote into meetings.

I’m just tired of being harassed at my work and I have a strong suspicion the reason he is harassing me is over my hearing issue, but I can’t prove it.

How can I handle this? I feel it is ridiculous I need to get a doctors note to do something as simple as call into a meeting instead of attend in person...seeing others from other sites can call in without issue. It’s the entire point of the teleconference.

How do I handle this? Again, I’m eventually going to get fired, but how can I handle all this harassment? Also, I don’t feel my job has a right to know my medical issues in writing formally. Seems like a HIPAA violation.

Can someone please help me navigate this situation? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you need reasonable accomodations, your job likely has a right to that in writing, and in fact may want it from a medical doctor -- but, HIPAA would prevent them from sharing that.

If you have a documented medical case history with this, then quieter speakers, headphones, and remote presence is a "reasonable accomodation".

That said -- and I know COVID makes this dicier, if your super really has it in for you and wants to get rid of you, they're going to find a way to do that and if they are smart you will not have any legal recourse.

I'd be looking for other jobs now. If you have substantial remote experience, sell the shit out of that going into COVID season.

If you're an experienced web developer, especially if you're open to remote, shoot me a PM with your stack familiarity and years of experience and what kind of work excites you. Myself and a bunch of my friends are in the middle of a layoff now, which is nonsense but also means I know a ton of people looking for opportunities.

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Hard try, but do you know anyone looking for a business analyst/management consultant guy? Have worked with a couple of major management consulting firms as a business analyst/consultant after my engineering.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably not, but if you want to send me a resume I am happy to look. Maybe send me a resume w/your name & contact info redacted and I can peek and let you know if I have anyone in network to send it to.

I only say "probably not" because like 95% of my contacts are development oriented. There may be a ton of jobs for you out there, it's just not a sector I know well.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think they are being unfair to you and using your hearing problem against you. However, maybe you can just follow their suggestions, go to a private doctor who will write a note for you explaining your hyperacusis, and they cannot fire you on that, actually the company will have to accommodate to your hearing problem. And try to be friends with HR because, in the end, they're the ones that fire people. If you work in a big company and you are dealing with just your immediate superior, your boss won't be able to overrule HR.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wtfok55

Wtfok55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NA
      @linearb thanks for responding. Is there a way I can pm you? I tried but the site won’t let me. Think it may be because my account it new.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe I have my PMs set to only allow from people I follow; I am now following you and also sent a PM you should be able to reply to.