Bose Hearphones

Discussion in 'Support' started by jvlgato, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jvlgato

jvlgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3:2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrynthitis
      I've just bought a pair of Bose Hearphones:

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Hearphones-Conversation-Enhancing-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B06XYPJN4G/

These are wireless Bluetooth connected in-ear headphone earbuds that rest on your shoulder and will connect to your smartphone, have the Bose noise cancellation circuit and... here's the key... also have two microphones built into the earbud which allow you to still hear the outside world. Furthermore, it allows you to adjust not only the volume of the smartphone, it allows you to adjust the volume of the outside world! I thought it was worth a try for my crazy hyperacusis problem.

I've used them for about a week or so and have had a good initial experience, so wanted to pass along the info. My original plan was to use them in loud public outings, such as bar/pubs/loud restaurants, but I haven't had a chance to try that out yet. Though I suspect it's going to be helpful for that, because it's already allowed me to tolerate loud sounds/noise at home and listen to conversations much more easily in noisy home environments. For example, whenever my kids practice their musical instruments, it is painful to me and when my wife tries to talk to me in the midst of this, I can hardly hear her. With these on, I can adjust down the outside noise, but somehow her speech still comes through. Same experience when we were doing dishes, had the stereo going, the kids were screaming the background and the dog was barking. Usually it's unbearable, anxiety provoking, and I really don't want to or can't talk at all; but with these on, after some adjustments, I was quite relaxed and able to focus on the conversation!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some people say that Bose noise cancelling headphones caused their tinnitus (search this forum). I can't think of a mechanism for that, but I try to wear earplugs under my Bose headphones, just in case.

Also, those headphones are great at protecting you against steady noises like that inside of a car or a plane. If there is a sudden loud noise (e.g., a fire alarm), they will likely not offer any protection.

It is better to wear Peltor muffs. They don't look as cool, but they are more reliable as far as hearing protection.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jvlgato

jvlgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3:2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrynthitis
      The 'Hearphones' I posted here are actually earbuds, and the big difference from their headphones is that you can adjust the degree of noise cancelling and thereby 'change the world volume', in their words. The purpose of the 'Hearphones' is to reduce surrounding noise while still allowing conversations with people around you.

I am not advocating their use for hearing protection; rather, I'm hoping it can reduce noise levels in loud places, so that people with hyperacusis can both have some sense of peace, and also have a conversation with people without the agony and anxiety of having that pain while socializing in a loud place that they otherwise would have avoided.

• Like Like x 1
    4. califkaren

califkaren Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      jvlgato, I was just researching the Bose Hearphones the other night and searched this site for possible info. How has it gone for you?

I would be interested in anyone's experience who has tinnitus, hyperacusis, and low frequency hearing loss. And anxiety!!!!

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did you buy the Bose Hearphones? How did it go?
      I think Bose Hearphones are designed specifically for that environment, noisy restaurants, coffee bars, and the like. Now that I have hearing loss as well, I am going to try to find these Hearphones.