Boston Globe / STAT News Article on Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by lymebite, Feb 18, 2016.

1. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 3
    2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Just incredible the amount of ignorance around T&H ...I hope articles like this start to open peoples eyes that T&H is really debilitating....

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Mah boy Charles Liberman!

• Like Like x 3
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Good article. I have very mild hyperacusis, but when my tinnitus is hissing both in my head and my right ear, it can get so strong that it feels like my inner ear is burning. Conventional wisdom says tinnitus can't hurt you. I beg to differ. It hurts!

Edit to add, I would tell people that yapping dogs with high-pitched barks felt like a needle poking my eardrum. They all looked at me like I was nuts. It doesn't bother them, so they thought I was being melodramatic. Thank goodness for articles like this.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Excellent article! (y)

• Like Like x 2
    6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Im in the same situation as this guy is and it's hard to explain to people, everyone just kind of looks at me like I've lost my mind, doctors included. Ive even been talked down to here at TT, told that I'm spreading fear etc. it's a hard thing to talk about, let alone live with. No one really believes you so you feel even more isolated.

Or you get the crowd that thinks that you just need to tough it out, follow some safety guidelines, be reasonable and just do it, they don't understand the amount of pain and suffering that goes into going out for just a couple of hours, even to a fairly quiet spot. The ear pain gets so bad that I end up spending a ton of time in bed. I spent over a year in bed (20 hours) a day, eventually you say screw it and get out more and more, and then you are so set back and in more pain, your T keeps getting worse along with the ear pain but you don't care at times, you get out around people because you are so lonely that you want to die, but only to suffer further consequences. It's like you pay a price for anything you want to do, even things like getting up and cooking yourself a meal. It's absolute hell on earth. If I want out of isolation or even bed, I get beat down hard for it every time, I might as well be taking kicks to the head anytime there is a small noise.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Telis Hang in there man I keep praying for copping meds or a cure more sooner then later. I won't go on vacation with my family and some of my family ( sisters brothers) just think I'm a party pooper and don't want to have fun I try to explain to them what I go through and they refuse to believe it. When this article came out I emailed them a link to read about how bad this T&H is I got no response back ...Its very difficult physically and mentally.
      I'm going to church today but I'm bring my ear plugs that's just how life is and no one understands.
      Hang in there bro

Carlos

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Like Like x 2