Burning Ear Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Aug 18, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Anyone else here with what feels like a burning pain?
      My reactive hissing is back and so is this weird pain.
      :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have it and it's a symptom of Hyperacusis.Its termed as Noxacusis when people experience sensitivity to sound accompanied with burning ear pain which describes me to a T.Also my T is reactive and the more it reacts the more painful my ear becomes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I have been living with the reactive hissing noise and weird burning sensation for three years now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably stress/anxiety or paroxetine
      Yes I'm getting reactive pain in both ears now but the left one is the worst. I can't use earphones to mask T anymore as its too painful for my ears, and have started to the play radio in a different room so i hear music from a distance and that seems to work. The problem is how our brain react to the sounds apparently, at least that's what the experts say. It's beyond me though... anyway good luck to all of us... keep positive.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I've had the same thing same time last year and it went on for months, then it got better.
      Now it's back again with, off course, no certainty that it will stop once again.
      My left ear is the worse one and it feels like being cut by razor blades.
      Is there anything that helps you guys?
      Any meds?
      Do you get any good days at all?

6. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably stress/anxiety or paroxetine
      Well the only thing that helps slightly is ice lollypops I buy from the local Tesco store. Before I eat one I leave it in the wrapper and press it against my ears for a few minutes. Sounds bizarre I know but it takes the pain off for a little while and then even the crunching sound/sensation the ice makes beneath my teeth when I eat them helpsmy tinnitus a little. Not a lot of help there but anything that helps a bit is better than nothing at all I guess. Tinnitus and the ear pain etc that comes with it result in extraordinary and desperate measures. I'm currently fighting mega anxiety from the non-stop hight pitched hissing in both ears, too. I've been giving a limited supply of valium tablets per week which helps with the anxiety but not the ear pain I'm afraid.

7. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I wonder if hissing noise is the main one causing reactiveness and pain?
      Anyone with high pitch t that has reactive t?

8. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      You may have Acoustic Shock Disorder

9. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

@whale

What is Acoustic Shock Disorder? Can you explain me please?

@valeri I think you have Hyperacusis. Try to rest your ears and get away from noise. Relaxtion can help.

10. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    11. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @valeri

Yes, I do. I have hyperacusis and at the beginning I thought that pain was caused by tinnitus (lol). It used to come and go in my right ear. It is a sign that I was exposed to too much noise. It faded away but then it came back when I had a setback and this time in my both ears. It has also subsided with time but again when I was exposed to too much noise, I had this burning pain coming back especially in the morning when waking up. I used to take very seldomly paracetamol (I know it could be ototoxic) when it was too painful but with time I could "tolerate" and understood that too much exposure triggered this burning pain.

Don't underestimate this sign, it is an alarm saying that your ears need some rest. Wear earplugs when it's too noisy, and stay away from noise above 75-80 dB.

Try turmeric (with pepper and vegetal oil when cooking for example) for the pain (see on the net what turmeric could do and also the golden milk).

12. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      What confuses me is that I haven't been exposed to any loud noise.
      This all started few years ago while I was on Zoloft.
      It's been happening on and off ever since.
      Hissing becomes more prominent and sharper and it hurts my ears to the point that I have burning pain and "wide open" feeling in my ear.
      Really hard to explain.
      I just hope it goes away.
      Thank you for your support!

13. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Medication can trigger Hyperacusis also. You're welcome!

14. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is your pain constant 24/7?

15. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Pretty much yes:(

16. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      My ears have felt hot and painful at times also. I don't have hypercausis though. I've never had this my whole life until I got T

17. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      So is this H or reactive t we have? Is yours a hissing noise too?
      Do you find anything helps you?

It's really hard to describe this feeling but my ears are feeling "wide open" with burning/bruised sort of pain.
      Thanks for your support!

18. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      i have aching and burning in my ears often, it isn't 24/7, but i experience it quite frequently. the aching is a bruise like pain in and around the ears like you describe, and the burning feels like a very bad sunburn in my ears and face surrounding the ear.

i found benzodiazepines reduced all of my symptoms by anywhere from 10-25% depending on the day. i'm tapering from them now and am finding that most of the symptoms are coming back in full force the lower my dose becomes.

19. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      That's exactly what I have.
      I've started magnesium, NAC and turmeric to see if it helps at all.

20. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011

Can you please tell me how do you cope and how did you recover?
      I'm still struggling and doubting I can live like this.

21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @valeri
      I have only read a few of your posts. If you are sure that your sensitivity to sound (hyperacusis) wasn't caused by loud noise exposure then something else must be causing it. Did you ever listen to music through headphones regularly?
      One of the best ways to treat over sensitivity to sounds (hyperacusis) is to use a sound machine at night by the bedside. Try to keep the volume slightly below the tinnitus. If a person has sensitivity to sound the way to treat it is by introducing sound therapy with a sound machine. However, if your sensitivity to sound wasn't caused by noise exposure then something else is responsible.
      Best of luck
      Michael

22. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I started experiencing this shortly after I was put on Zoloft.
      Never before that I had any other symptoms apart from horrible engine noise in my right ear.
      I had it also same time last year so now I'm thinking if this could be related to spring season here in Australia.
      I have never listened to music through headphone or was exposed to loud noises.
      Having music or marking noise when this is playing up is really hard, everything seems to make it worse.
      Watching tv on very low is horrible let alone having something on all night.
      I really have no clue what could be the reason for this.

23. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I think you need professional help so it's best to see an ENT Doctor.

24. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      @valeri,
      We have some similarities in our symptoms but the root cause of our ear problems are nothing alike so I don't know if our journey to recovery can be the same.
      I lost all of the hearing in my left ear during a single weekend in 2013. I noticed the reactive hissing noise right away. I can remember sitting in my car at an intersection with my turn signal on, the repeating blinker sound in my right ear and the repeating hissing sound in my left ear. At that point, I actually thought I still had some ability to hear in my left ear because of that reactive hissing. A few days later, I spoke to my mother on the telephone and the reactive hissing was driving me insane. Every syllable she uttered was hurting! When I moved the phone to my left ear I heard nothing, and that is how I became aware that my left ear was totally deaf and was reacting to sound in my other ear. An audiologist later confirmed that my left ear was profoundly and permanently deaf. I was so devastated by the idea of this hearing loss that the issues with T and H were secondary to me. I realized that I would probably never play music again. For many months, my broken heart hurt more than my broken ear. (My dog is wondering why I am crying right now.)
      The damage was done and I had nowhere to go but up. That's what makes my situation different from yours and many others here. It isn't so much of a mystery to me. I know why I have tinnitus. It's not hidden hearing loss or fluctuating loss or diminishing loss or anything else. There was a sudden and powerful assault on my auditory system and then I had nowhere to go but up.
      I can very much relate to the hissing and burning you describe. In fact, my whole experience seems like an electrical fire happened. There is still a constant sensation of heat in my deaf ear and movement like flames, along with constant hissing and sizzling, electrical buzzing sounds. Some noises have all but disappeared though. The crackling and beeping noises are gone now. The ringing sounds happen less often and seem further away. The clicking and knocking happens less often. (I never had any high pitched squealing noises like others describe here so maybe that is why I can somewhat cope.) The extremely painful fullness that I lived with for many months is more of an uncomfortable fullness now. It just feels like the fire is still burning but not as big, not as intense as it used to be. I still hear and feel the repeating hissing noise when I use my car's turn signal but it doesn't bother me as much it used to. It's there but it doesn't drive me crazy now. My brain is very slowly remapping, habituating.
      I sought help from a psychologist after several months of living with anxiety and depression. My husband insisted upon it because I was gone. My smile, my laugh, my zest for life.......just gone. I chose to see a Positive Behavioral Therapist. I had not yet stumbled upon this forum and it was so nice to have someone at least trying to understand my plight.
      How do I cope? I retired from my job to reduce stress and sound. I choose to be in silence more often to reduce reactive T. I sleep more than I used to. I keep my mind busy with quiet hobbies. The reactive hissing increases and gets in the way of my hearing but I still socialize with my family and friends with their help. If I go out to a restaurant tonight, I rest my ear tomorrow. I remain always thankful for the health of my children and grandchildren. I'm thankful that they don't have hearing loss or tinnitus or other serious health issues. I am thankful for all that is good in my life. I know that sounds hokey but you asked and that's how I cope. I remain always hopeful for better days ahead.
      I haven't recovered. I haven't posted a success story. I am in the process of habituating and still hoping for a cure. This is a lengthy post Valerie and I don't know if it helps you. I am so sorry that you are hurting.

• Like Like x 1