Calmly Waiting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Johnster, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Johnster
      Fine

Johnster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hello Everyone (41 male)
      I think this is the first time I have actually contributed to a forum, as I usually lurk.
      About 8 weeks ago, I started hearing a low pitch sound. I went to the doctor, and he said it was a virus going around, and it should subside in 2-3 weeks.
      After 2/3 weeks, went back and was referred to get a hearing test.
      Hearing test showed I had some hearing loss, and eventually figured it was T.
      Starting a new business probably caused it, along with an international move. Doc said it was a lurking condition that has been around, but just appeared as the condition progressed ( otesterosis )
      It has been a living hell for me, as I can not function. The only thing that I can do to not think about it is go for LONG walks - where I forget about it. But it comes back eventually.
      I am usually a very optimistic hopeful guy, but lately I have no hope for the future, and have very distorted perspectives. I hear that is normal. I was positively screened for depression.
      I went to a VERY good ENT that figured out that I have conductive hearing loss, and that I need an stapendectomy, which will most likely fix it. This will take some time, as Canadian health care is slow.
      He prescribed the following:
      1 - Lipoflavenoid - over the counter at most drug stores - to reduce the ringing sound. It even comes with a 60 day guarantee (about $50)
      2 - Nortriptyline - takes about two weeks, but supposed to do really well in reducing the ringing, and also is a mild anti-depressant (lucky)
      3 - Ambien - to get some sleep. I think I have strong T as I need two pills to get me through the night. I only have 30 days of this, and it REALLY worries me what will happen when that runs out. When I didnt have a sleeping aid, I turned into a zombie
      I know everyone says stay calm and don't give it any power, but it's so HARD to stay positive with what seems like all the walls are caving in....
      This has been the most challenging trial of my life, and I have been though some scary ones!!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the board, Johnster. I feel for your sufferings as most of us here have gone through this suffering initially. This suffering, though quite intense, is normal among newer T sufferer. Yes, distorted thoughts during this phase are also very common. T is a trauma to the body and quite alien a sensation. So the body is trying to reject this sensation. Failing that, it just plunges into stress, fear, anxiety, depression and sleeplessness. That usually comes with a package.

Time and patience plus some hope are what we need, besides masking, counselling, and perhaps some use of meds to cut off the sharp edges of emotions. I remember during my darkest time, suffering from ultra high pitch T, severe hyperacusis, plus relentless anxiety and panic attacks with depression and insomnia, I had the same struggling thought like everybody else - why me, when is this going to improve or end, how can one live with such suffering for long term, what will happen to me and my family? What terrible future will be? etc. etc. The end result of all these worrying thoughts was more and more stress and anxiety. I often thought I would not survive such sufferings.

But never say never. Don't believe it all those lies from the T bully. Things can improve. Today I am back to living a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. Don't give a dime to T high or low. The same sound used to turn me into a mess. No longer!!! Me and my body have hardened to the same dog whistle ringing. Now it is only a paper tiger. Time plus some strategies have helped me recover. I am not alone in this, as many members recover too and post their success stories. Go read them up and you will know T is not an end game. If you already can forget T in your long walk, take it as a positive that you are already ahead of many, and your T should improve in time. Take good care and God bless.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry mate. There will be a treatment soon for tinnitus as shown by the promising results of trobalt. Autifony's treatment results will be out July, so hopefully they are positive...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Keppra is available in Canada.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks Dan & Danny for mentioning some treatments available. As you can see that there are many approaches you can try to help yourself. There are medical advances with new treatments coming on board and who knows what wonder drug they can come up with in 5 to 10 years. If some of these new treatments are available to you, be sure to check that out. In the meantime you can deal with then mental side of T suffering as well as trying masking or some meds (as a last resort and for short term). These are the positive things we can do to help ourselves as tinnitus patients.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Johnster,

I have conductive hearing loss, too, and have been told I have otosclerosis, and would benefit from a stapedectomy. However, after doing a little bit of research, I decided not to have the stapedectomy -- at least not any time soon -- because I've heard it has mixed results. Not everyone's tinnitus goes away after they have a stapedectomy, and I only have hearing loss in one ear, so I decided to wait. I had mild tinnitus before I took an ototoxic drug about five years ago, and then my T got much worse, plus I also ended up with pulsatile tinnitus. I've been coping pretty well recently, and my tinnitus seems calmer than it did at the beginning.

If you do decide to go ahead with the stapedectomy, I'll be interested to hear about how it works for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Dennis MacDonald Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Note that if you go with #1 you will need a 60 supply of 6 caps per day. It ain't cheap. Save your receipt and UPC code as you will need it for a full refund. I posted the refund address in another thread.

If #2 works be certain to come back here and tell us......one way or the other.

Like @billie48 mentioned above, if you can forget it in your long walks then you can forget it most of the time. Be patient (very difficult to do). Good luck.

dennis

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Johnster,

Welcome! You're amongst friends here.

In my opinion, save your money and don't buy Lipoflavonoid. In fact, you can have the rest of mine. Worthless! You're better off, in my opinion, with a B-complex supplement. I also Take Methyl B12, Vit C, fish oil, calcium, NAC, magnesium oil and some zinc.

To sleep, get Melatonin, 3mg, time released capsules. Also, 5HTP and L-Theanine. Buy a sound machine, with nature sounds, like rain, crickets, etc. Place it on you bed and bingo, off to sleep with comforting, masking sounds.

Since you can walk and it doesn't bother you, good! it's not that bad. Protect your ears at all costs from now on! Most of all, keep busy and distracted.

I used Xanax initially to help with anxiety. It helped me. It's short term only! However, you seem to be using Nortriptoline, so whatever works for you, go for it.

Follow the advice and support from longterm members, like Billie 48, Karen, etc. They've been around and know the drill.

Have hope and courage. You are in my prayers!

God Bless!

Sailboardman

• Like Like x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Johnster,Once you get the anxiety under controll and you will in time .Melatonin 3mg sr works very good but stay with it same time 20 min. or so before bed reg basis.also the other suplmts sailboardman recommended. Lipoflavonoid is a waste of money you can get flavonoids by juicing lemons w peel with other veggies and fruits of choice plus you will get the vit. from it also .I juice ginger and beets orange lemon apple and carrots.You have great support and knowledge on this site as we'll as a few doctors advice.I have had T for 6 months and it seems to be doing better .I now see signs of an eustachian tube infection so I am hoping it will soon be gone but if it don't then I know now I can learn to live with T a normal life .It is a bit hard at first .But Johnster like I tell everyone new to T .You will be alright.It is a challenge you will win we havea ll been where you are .Sleep is hard for first 2 months you have been given some great advice from people that know what it is like to have T.This is the best advice you can get.Hang in there Johnster and you will see yourself getting better it will happen.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I'm also 41 years old and stress finally got to me and I got H and T back in December. Its hard at first and I had the same feelings you had at the beginning. I thought my life was over and on some days I was a vegetable. I called it hell on earth, but living hell works too. I can only tell you the volume of the T diminishes in time, but you have to get rid of the anxiety and depression. Easier said than done, I know. I still dont sleep well after 4 months and I'm on anti-depressant meds to stop the panic attacks I was having. I can only tell you that it becomes and endless cycle and T feeds off of any negative thoughts you have. The more negative thoughts the more panic, the more T, the more negative thoughts, etc. Sleepless nights also give me bad T days as well. Its been a long road for me. I'm still not all the way better, but I can tell you that I went from thinking my life was over to, I can probably live like this until a cure comes out. The better you get the lower the T volume, the more you can tune it out and get on with your life. I probably only listened to it for half the day today at low volumes, vs loud blaring T I couldnt ignore at the beginning. 4 months ago before the stress kicked in I barely noticed it at all and I have almost no high frequency left. Dont think, oh its gets worst as I get older, etc etc and dont fall into that trap. You can lead a normal life again, its just going to take some time.
      I cannot stress, that you have to stay positive in order to get better. For me a single 10 second negative though can trigger loud T for an entire day. I have had to clear my mind completely, do breathing exercises, go for jogs, walks, and meditate. Its weird but T amplifies itself the more fear you have. Eliminate the fear and the T becomes a distant memory.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johnster
      Fine

Johnster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Thank you for all your kindness and advice. I am feeling more hopeful today after visiting a doctor who is helping me with the anxiety and depression. There is hope on the horizon and it is good tl hear from all of you. Please keep on giving any advice, I am all for it. You all are great.

• Hug Hug x 1